Working after retirement.

Quigley

Anybody know the restrictions on working after retirement. In other words can a feeder driver drive a truck as long as its not in the same package delivery industry? I'm in the western conference.
Thanks Quigley

In the western confrence you can work anywhere you want as long as you stay separated from ups for at least 6 months or a year. After after that time you can work for ups again.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe the Teamsters have a rule that excludes one from taking a driving job after retirement....I know people who are addressing that issue.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
In the western confrence you can work anywhere you want as long as you stay separated from ups for at least 6 months or a year. After after that time you can work for ups again.

Are you sure? We had retired feeder drivers move to a different area so they could drive truck after they retired. We had a meeting with union reps about retirement, my understanding was we could work anywhere but not doing the same thing.

Quigley

I get a lot of different answers depending on who you ask. Does anybody know if there is anything in writing to show what the restrictions are? There must be some standard writen somewhere about this.
Thanks Quigley

ups79

I get a lot of different answers depending on who you ask. Does anybody know if there is anything in writing to show what the restrictions are? There must be some standard writen somewhere about this.
Thanks Quigley

If you get a book refered to as "Summary Pension Plan Description" (at least in Local 710) it will tell you where you might and might not work. Also in Local 710 every year they will send you a form to fill out on this subject.

paidslave

From what I understand is that If you are collecting a UNION pension you cannot drive and make money with a non-union company. Answer I believe is NO ! From what I understand is that if they catch you and they will if they look into it you can lose your pension benefits!

ol'browneye

A friend of mine retired with a teamster pension and he could not work for any company in the transportation business, not even in a warehouse. Once he turned 72 though he could work anywhere and do anything he wanted so he is driving again. That was in Missouri.

rod

Retired 22 years
DON"T risk losing your pension. Get ALL the facts about working after retiring from your Local. As far as I know each Local has different rules. Believe me they do keep track of you after you retire. In my particular case we can work any Goverment job or you can drive a school bus. Anything else has to be cleared by them. They are really good at letting you work just about anywhere (not counting transpotation jobs) if you get the ok 1st. And one more thing- don't get a job where you have to "work". Get a fun one that you can play at. If your looking for a high $$$$$ job don't retire because you won't find anything that come close to UPS.

Quigley

Found the answer. There are 3 qualifications that will jepordize your pension. All 3 must apply for you to lose your pension.
1 Trade
2 Industry
3 Geography

As long as you only do 2 of the 3 you can work any amount of hours and not be penalized. In other words you can drive a truck in the same town as long as its not the same industry. Such as package delivery. Or you can work in a warehouse in a package delivery industry in the same area as long as you dont drive a truck. And you can drive a truck for UPS or FEDex as long as you leave the area and go to a different conference. Now these rules apply only to the western conference, I dont know about the others.
Quigley

The beauty of continuing to work after you retire, I think would be in not having to rely on a specific job for you total income. It would be like a second job.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My retirement job will require sitting in a lawn chair siping exotic libations and waiting for the mailman to bring me checks from The Teamsters and whomever is handling my 401K. BM

rod

Retired 22 years
My retirement job will require sitting in a lawn chair siping exotic libations and waiting for the mailman to bring me checks from The Teamsters and whomever is handling my 401K. BM
I did that for the 1st 5 years along with traveling, but since the wife retired a couple of years ago I took a couple of fun jobs ( total of about 10 hours a week) just so we wouldn't get on each others nerves. You other retired people will understand what I mean.:wink2: