Working Friday?

U

Unregistered

Anyone else being forced to work friday?
Delivering Air and 2day I guess? is this normal?

We still get holiday pay +1.5time for hours worked that day.
Just curious

wily_old_vet

yep it's normal. If they can't get enough volunteers they start working up the seniority list from the lowest to highest. It sucks but thats life at UPS

susiedriver

I believe you should get double time for hours worked + holiday pay. You have the right to 8 hours, but usually it's not worth it, just take the six or so, and imagine what life as a FDX driver must be like. My husband and i always worked that day, easiest money ever made at UPS, other than grievence money.:D

ok2bclever

I Re Member
Actually, that isn't true everywhere or for everyone.

Regular Delivery Drivers get whatever their Supplement rate is whether they are forced or not.

In my Supplement it's double time, but I don't believe it's that way nationwide.

Unfortunately, Air Drivers and Support employees (loaders, clerks, etc) forced to work that day only get straight time per National Agreement.

(Art 22, Section 1, Subsection j, Subsubsection 4 (page 127). :(

F

FEGuy

It sucks but thats life at UPS

Well, it doesn't suck...but it is life at UPS. It's the contract.
Glad we have one.

xracer

Fortunately I have enough seniority and do not have to work Friday, the ones that are forced to work in our center receive their 8 hours and straight pay for the hours worked up to 8 hours and then time and a half after that just like it was a normal day. Management in our center play little games and helps out their favorites that would like the day off, a few of the lower seniority drivers that should be forced to work Friday are being given the day off while people with more seniority are being forced to work. The center manager claims that since higher seniority drivers offered to do the work to specifically relieve certain drivers from working that day that they can have the day off irregardless of the fact that they do not have the seniority to earn the day off. I believe that this practice is unfair and complained to our center management team but nothing is going to be done about it, mostly due to,in my opinion(which is widely shared), a very inadequate business agent in our local who makes deals with management on a regular basis. I think that this is a raw deal for those people who have put in thier time and deserve the day off to spend with thier families without management taking this away from them just so they can do something for thier little favorites..

browndude

i always volunteer for the friday after thanksgiving 8 hours holiday plus double time for all time worked. i usually work close to 10 hours. the same goes for new years eve.

outta hours

In our area it is double time for all hours worked, even if you volunteer to come in. Used to be only double time if you were forced to work it. 8 hrs. or more is available if you request it. Mgmnt usually tries to talk drivers out of that with threats of cleaning toilets etc. to get your 8 in. As for me I let the jr. hands make all the big money that day. I've done my time working those days years ago. Like the oldtimers used to tell me " seniority sucks unless you have it". Happy Thanksgiving to all .

U

Unregistered

Aactually, in reality, they CAN NOT force you to work on Friday. It is a scheduled holiday. A day off with 8 hrs. pay is only 1 phone call away.

ooky

frozen canuck
Double Standard is being forced to work Friday. Of course we`re in Canada and already had our Thanksgiving last month. :)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In Atlanta, its eight hours holiday pay plus double time for the hours worked. We used to be forced to go down the senority list and some were forced to work. Now there is no problem getting volunteers. I pulled my senority and signed up last night to run my area and the one next to it. Easiest money of the year, while my wife is out shopping, I'll make an extra five or six hundred dollars.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I never had to run on friday, but for the last 10 years or so I volunteered. Also volunteered to be the late man to pick up the drop boxes. After my father in law got too sick to hunt, I always worked. But until then, every friday and that weekend I would always take him out hunting. I really miss those times.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I volunteered, Wednesday night it took me 2.5 hrs to get home coz of the weather (38miles) I unvolunteered. Spent money instead of made it today, but it was soooo much more fun. Besides, someone who couldnt have worked coz of me, got to, Im happy to do my part!!

U

Unregistered

Actually, you CANNOT be forced to work on Friday. It's a UPS holiday. The day off with pay is a simple phone call away. This is in regards to full time package car drivers who are told the must work on Friday.

U

Unregistered

Fredly00

Unregistered said:
Actually, you CANNOT be forced to work on Friday. It's a UPS holiday. The day off with pay is a simple phone call away. This is in regards to full time package car drivers who are told the must work on Friday.

Not completely true, cite your contract to prove otherwise.

Eitherway I started this topic, tried to get myself logged in.. still not quite
working right

Anyway, it was 8 + Double time for the day, worked a easy 8 hours today:)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I only got five hours today, but I did get a free load of firewood from somebody on my area after work!