Working through your lunch break

UrFellowUpser

What does that mean exactly. I do take my lunch but its not in the way the orion solution says i should take it. Like for example the orion solution said i should take my lunch at 12:40 till like 2:00 but i did not. I worked through that period and did not take it until 4 o clock. Is that what upsers mean by working through your break or am i wrong? Please put me on game.

GenericUsername

Not many people go by Orion... so why would you follow it's prediction on your lunch? Take your lunch when it best suits you/your route. If you're done with businesses at noon and are hungry, eat then before starting resis. If you want to get done with most of the work before you get into the last 2 or 3 neighborhoods, then so be it. Just don't try to take your lunch at the end of the shift in the center because it'll more than likely cause you to get sent out because they see you sitting for an hour.... lesson learned on that one.

Saca La

What is it?
the first guy i went with we skipped lunch only cause we left the hub really late and had a :censored2:load of stops. Good thing i ate a big breakfast that morning.

The other drivers seem to take their lunch when they have like 2 neighborhoods left.

DriverNerd

I take my lunch towards the end of my day. Either in a mostly empty parking lot at the local mall after all my deliveries are done, or at my last pickup (UPS Store) or in the mall if it's really cold or hot. I take it whenever I see fit and almost always on route. If I'm going to be out really late and the hub needs my volume, then I definitely take my lunch on route.

I take my lunch towards the end of my day. Either in a mostly empty parking lot at the local mall after all my deliveries are done, or at my last pickup (UPS Store) or in the mall if it's really cold or hot. I take it whenever I see fit and almost always on route. If I'm going to be out really late and the hub needs my volume, then I definitely take my lunch on route.
How many jobs would it be normal to take lunch at 5PM because otherwise you could not complete business deliveries before pick ups start. And why do drivers normally put up with it?

upsgrunt

Like sober always said: It's UPS's business model to try and get drivers to work through as much of their lunch as they can.
Consider this:
1.Leaving the building late with way to much work- gets the driver to work faster and give up most or all of their lunch; Think it's coincidence that it always happens on Fridays? Our Orion computer doesn't even show spaces for lunch.
2. No more safe driving awards, or years of service awards- saves money.
3. No more turkeys- saves money.
4. No more Founders day gifts, and the budget for food is like 87 cents per employee- saves money.
5. Constant shaving of time studies to make drivers think they need to work faster-saves money?
How about we shave, or cut the IE department to save money? How about we put impossible demands, longer hours, and more work for them to do, and then pile on more. How about we dictate that they should "punch out to use the restroom", and make them grab a handrail and push a button every time they change screens on a computer, and give them the biggest piece of crap office chair to use for 12 hours a day?
I hope that UPS realizes that they are close to critical velocity on cutting from employees and asking more from us. There aint to much more to cut and there aint too much more time for us to work in a day.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Take your lunch during the contractual period and don't work during it. If you REALLY want us to change the lunch time in the ORION solution it can be done. But in reality, it doesn't matter. But hey, if you want to do it then, that's your thing.

upsgrunt

Let me add that not only has UPS taken away the incentive to give extra effort and work hard, but they actually punish you by giving you more work; so much so that we have lots of driver positions to fill, but cannot fill them with people who want to, or can actually do them.
The ball is in your court UPS.
Your workers are not Amish plow horses. We make pretty good money, but maybe it's not enough if you can't people to even try, let alone succeed. You want to save money and cut costs? Let's start at the the other end- You've gotten just about everything you can from this end.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Let me add that not only has UPS taken away the incentive to give extra effort and work hard, but they actually punish you by giving you more work; so much so that we have lots of driver positions to fill, but cannot fill them with people who want to, or can actually do them.
The ball is in your court UPS.
Your workers are not Amish plow horses. We make pretty good money, but maybe it's not enough if you can't people to even try, let alone succeed. You want to save money and cut costs? Let's start at the the other end- You've gotten just about everything you can from this end.
Corporate is taking notes on your posts as we speak. Ask @TearsInRain, he has the direct line to the Kremlin on his desk.