Worried about promotion, please help

whiskey

Weak? I sure as hell am not weak. I am just tired of getting thrown around. I've followed up with phone calls and personal visits. Each time I feel like I am closer to the job. Then nothing happens. I am doing exactly what I was taught in college and I am doing it well. UPS just feels like a lost cause. The things I have overcome doing this job in the route I had, would drive a "weak" person into the grave. I always continued and prevailed. My motivation was the promotion into BD. I did everything right. I am a standout employee, or was...

Time to move on.

UPSGUY72

Did I understand you correctly that they hired you as a "casual driver". If that is the case atleast in my area your are only temp help. In anycase new drivers be it casual or permant cover driver don't get to choose what route they are on they have no senority they will be put where they are needed in most cases on routes that most driver don't want to do. I understand during peak you ran around like a total idiot trying to impress the SUPs in the building trying to get a better job unfortunately none of that matters becasue UPS is a union shop everything works on senority no matter how much you kiss ass.

As for your Sales Degree UPS doesn't care about you degree they want people with sales experience if you want a job in sales with UPS your going to have to start somewhere else in sales and be somewhat successful or you not going to get a sales job at UPS. Just to let you know your going to be doing other things besides sales if your get a sales job with UPS. Last week in my building sales people where auditing cars when we return to the building.

Anyways good luck in your next job.

washington57

I am damn right giving UPS an ultimatum. I have a stellar resume and always prevail. They put me in a route where everybody struggles with. People have quit because of that route, tow trucks have spent a lot of time in that route, because drivers got into bad situations. Not me, because I am smart, aware, and one hell of a worker. By the end of peak when I was doing more stops then anyone else in history of that route and coming in an hour early, nobody could believe it. They want to treat an employee like this, they will lose in the long run.

good job but nobody who works at ups cares.

start from the bottom at ups and spend a few years. you need endurance...being one month at ups isn't enough proof that you won't quit within a year. we have a high turnover rate from new hires, hard to make sure they are going to stay. alot of people have burned out quick on this job.

I drove for 6 months. I understand because I was the 'new guy,' I got one of the crappiest routes. I'm not complaining. And I can understand that because of senority. I understand I may not get the job I want right away. BUT, BUT. BUT they were not honest with me when they explained everything. They told me, drive safely, do a good job, submit a letter of intent, and you will be laid off, but BD will come soon after. I met with BD plenty of times, in fact the manager of BD's niece and I went to the same college. Then 1 week before peak is over they finally got honest with me and bring up p.t. supervisor. That is my point. I am not weak and I worked more than one month with UPS. Don't fill a guys head with empty promises, then screw around with him. And as far as the ultimatum question, that was somewhat irritating to me, hence my rebuttal to it. Obviously UPS will survive with out me, my point was they "lied" to me for the last time. They lost a good worker who wanted to work with them. That was my point.

Braveheart

I am damn right giving UPS an ultimatum. I have a stellar resume and always prevail. They put me in a route where everybody struggles with. People have quit because of that route, tow trucks have spent a lot of time in that route, because drivers got into bad situations. Not me, because I am smart, aware, and one hell of a worker. By the end of peak when I was doing more stops then anyone else in history of that route and coming in an hour early, nobody could believe it. They want to treat an employee like this, they will lose in the long run.

The part time gig is a dead end job. I have seen dozens upon dozens of part time sups spend a decade or more sitting in that dead end job. Most leave for better jobs with a lot less stress.

UPS just sent hundreds of managers packing this past year. They are the ones losing out. I would run for the hills and take another job if I was you. We have a couple guys who spent a decade or better in the part time gig and when offered a job at full time driving they jumped at it.

They were told in a few months you will be full time management. Over 2 years later they were finally offered the full time management jobs. One took it and the other told them no thanks. The one who took the management gig said years later that he wish he had still been driving. He had a heart attack from the stress. He is a health nut so not overweight and no family history either. In fact there have been 5 management people have 7 heart/cardiac related ER visits due to the stress.

Good luck with what your future holds.

Braveheart

I have submitted 2 letters of intent, which were evidently meaningless. I want to be in sales and marketing, since that is what my degree is in. I'm looking to get into fulltime management to make a career for myself, not to escape anything.

Tieguy is an old school hardliner of my way or the highway. If you do not bow and give praise to UPS he will attack you and or demean you.

Watch, he will attack me next. He should be honest with you about the UPS long history of empty promises to seasonal workers and part timers.

pretzel_man

First, did you check UPSjob.com to see what openings exist?

Second, you say you want to be in UPS management but choose to take advice in a place where so many blindly hate UPS management???

Third, you said: "I am damn right giving UPS an ultimatum". If I had an opening, do you think I would want to hire someone on the management team with an attitude like that?

BTW, I was a part time supervisor..... It was long ago, but I learned a lot.

Tie is right. A major management problem at UPS is that too many people get into the job for the wrong reason.

Re-Raise

So what does this "smart,aware and one hell of a worker" think the people on this message board can do about it?

I think this whole rant says more about people his age then it does about UPS. He wants it all and he wants it now on his terms.

I guess he never took any classes that explained that the earth revolves around the sun and not him.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
if you're looking to get into full time management to escape that cover job then you're getting into it for the wrong reason.

Tie is right. A major management problem at UPS is that too many people get into the job for the wrong reason.

Just curious. What is the right reason? Most people take jobs for the pay, benefits and opportunities offered. Not too many people are attracted to UPS management for the superior working conditions and pleasant atmosphere.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Where to start?
I graduated college in May and had a few interviews ready for after graduation when I got home, Casual driver position, being one of them.
UM, I dont understand, you go to school to become a casual driver? And that is one of the interviews you scheduled?
I felt as tho the interviews I went on were not for the most legit companies so I decided to give driving a shot
Actually the honest version is "I was told that someone fresh out of school wanting a high paying job were a dime a dozen. So since no one would hire me, I settled for UPS."

and from everything I learned/know/and was told about UPS, they are a great company to work for and like to hire from within. My goal was to drive as a casual until the end of the year and move up to Business Development, which just about everyone in UPS told me was very feasible and they sounded excited about me.
Lets see, your not even just a part time employee, you are casual. And just about everybody at UPS sounded exited and it is very feasible for you to go from casual to full time business development? Really? And what type of drugs were you on that day they fed you this stuff? This happens in movies, not real life.
Well, a week before peak ended, they tell me know BD isn't all that realistic for me at the time and introduced the idea of Part Time Supervisor.
And you dont see the part time job as a move up from casual?
My spirit was instantly shot down when they told me that. I had a pretty crappy route, one that I was told is the worst for learning the area.
It might be a bad area for learning delivery, but it just might be the perfect area to prove your mettle and determination....
Missing street signs, streets that don't even make sense, dirt roads (packages all fell on the ground).
And this is UPS's Fault how?
But I always thought; this is what I need to do and if I do, I will be a better person and get the career I truly want.
There you go, some straight talk, first thing you said that made sense.
They said I would need to do the P.T. Super job first, then be promoted up tom BD.
Far be it for me to disagree with "they" but that is not how it usually works.
Well, I took the MAPP assessment December 30th. I got laid off Dec 31st. One week later HR says, "hey we'd love for you to come in for an interview, hold tight, we will call you in a few days." I was so happy, so I waited one week and nothing came. So I called them and I hear, "oh yeah, a few days." well its now been almost 2 months. I could have gotten a different job in this amount of time. HR calls me last week to see if I am still interested in Management. They said I need to take the MAPP, I said I already did. They said, oh, how did you do? I said, nobody ever told me. "Oh, well we will look and call you today." I am tired of waiting to be called back, so I drove in.
After two months off, this is the first time you paid a face to face?I made one hell of a good impression on them. They said the infamous "we will call you in a few days." That was last Tuesday, so almost a week.
Two months off without any face time, only calls, and you made a hell of an impression alright! What were you doing with your time off?
I feel like they affected me negatively, because I waited for them and as a result lost 2 months of a pay check. What do you guys think?
Well since you asked, I will get to that later. But how could they affect you negatively? It was you that sat around without going back to the center, sitting around on your lazy behind, without following through on the phone calls. Who do you have to blame but yourself for your failure?
I agree with all that, but what does one do? wait 5 years til they promote another PT Super to open up a spot? For a job that may or may not even get me to BD,
Well we wont ever know now will we?
And after researching, it sounds like UPS in not the most honest or caring for their employees.
You want honest and caring, get married. Thats what you are looking for, someone to take care of you. Newsflash, UPS ain't it, they aint your mamma, and they wont breast feed you.
They made BD look like it was right there. They said they are always looking for new people and especially younger people. I'm 22, the next youngest is like 42. I will give them til Friday, and then lost one of the best workers they will see.
All I see here is Wah wah wah....
I am damn right giving UPS an ultimatum.
Hey bubba, you need to go back to school. Someone that issues an ultimatum needs to hold all the cards. And from what you have written so far, all you hold is the joker.
They put me in a route where everybody struggles with. People have quit because of that route, tow trucks have spent a lot of time in that route, because drivers got into bad situations. Not me, because I am smart, aware, and one hell of a worker. By the end of peak when I was doing more stops then anyone else in history of that route and coming in an hour early, nobody could believe it. They want to treat an employee like this, they will lose in the long run.
Schmuck, coming in an hour early? Now how smart is that?
I have submitted 2 letters of intent, which were evidently meaningless. I want to be in sales and marketing, since that is what my degree is in. I'm looking to get into fulltime management to make a career for myself, not to escape anything.
You want a made career, not to make yourself successful. Do you know the difference?
Weak? I sure as hell am not weak. I am just tired of getting thrown around. I've followed up with phone calls and personal visits.
Wow, now its visits? More than the one you mentioned previously where you impressed the hell out of the people?
Each time I feel like I am closer to the job. Then nothing happens. I am doing exactly what I was taught in college and I am doing it well.
Whats that? What were you trained to do in college? So far, it seems all you were trained to do is bitch and complain cause someone didnt give you the job you wanted.....
UPS just feels like a lost cause. The things I have overcome doing this job in the route I had, would drive a "weak" person into the grave. I always continued and prevailed. My motivation was the promotion into BD. I did everything right. I am a standout employee, or was...
At least in your mind....
Economy is tough. Most of my friends since May, still do not have jobs.
Hello, this might be a sign from heaven......
I figured if I drove then a lot of positions would be open, which in my first ever interview they told me would be.
Explain something to me. Do they teach you to believe anything you are told, or to do your own research? It would seem like to me, in a bad economy where people with degrees cant get a job, how would UPS have a lot of positions open, especially if they are laying off employees in the departments you are looking to get hired into?
I don't particularly favor sales, just a business job in a company that pays well, offers benefits, and won't be going anywhere.
So what you just said was that since you have a diploma, all you care about is getting an office job, 9-5, your own office with all the perks?
I told HR, I can do sales/marketing or Human Resources. I don't see sales in UPS being different from sales in any other company. Get leads, work off leads, present your ideas and try to complete the sale.
Get leads, work the leads, present your ideas? What ever happened to getting off your behind and getting leads of your own? Oh I forgot, you just want the office, not the work...
I drove for 6 months. I understand because I was the 'new guy,' I got one of the crappiest routes. I'm not complaining.
Junior, let me tell you a secret. Most casual drivers are given tit routes. Thats right, you couldnt handle a real route, so they give you what they call a training route. Every driver gets to cut their teeth on that route. And they make it the easiest one in the building.
And I can understand that because of senority. I understand I may not get the job I want right away.
OK, if you understand it, then why the thread?
BUT, BUT. BUT they were not honest with me when they explained everything. They told me, drive safely, do a good job, submit a letter of intent, and you will be laid off, but BD will come soon after.
Really, describe soon. How many weeks or months is that?
I met with BD plenty of times, in fact the manager of BD's niece and I went to the same college. Then 1 week before peak is over they finally got honest with me and bring up p.t. supervisor.
Hey bubba, again, that is the only open job we have. Its either that, or wait for the casual driver thing again this fall.
That is my point. I am not weak and I worked more than one month with UPS.
MY GOD, you worked more than one month at UPS and already you feel like youve done enough to land you an office job???? What BS did they fill your head with at school?
Don't fill a guys head with empty promises, then screw around with him. And as far as the ultimatum question, that was somewhat irritating to me, hence my rebuttal to it. Obviously UPS will survive with out me, my point was they "lied" to me for the last time. They lost a good worker who wanted to work with them. That was my point.

I have a stellar resume and always prevail.
I put this one last for a reason. You have a stellar resume? With whom? All you have done since getting out of school in May is drive part time for UPS for a month, and sit on your behind for almost a year. How is that stellar? Prevail? Only if you are on The Biggest Loser.
Now that I have had a chance to give you an idea on how you sound, let me get down to business.

The reason you dont stand a snowballs chance to get that office job at UPS is that you cant sell. You failed miserably at selling yourself to UPS. What, you think calling once a week is going to get you the job?

When I started, I worked two weeks on the preload before Christmas. I got laid off, but from Jan 1 on, I stopped by every morning on the way to school to see if there was going to be an opening. Finally, the first of February, they told me "hell your here anyway, see you in the AM" That was almost 40 years ago. You think I would have gotten back on if I would have called them once a week and pouted when they didnt give me a full time management job?

Sales is the same way. Face time sells. You failed the ultimate sales test. And the only person you have to blame is yourself. Or maybe that over inflated ego.

Good luck. And send that "stellar resume" out to a bunch of other employers and see how hard they laugh. Worried about a promotion in an economy where most people would be greatful for a job....
d

Last edited:
I graduated college in May and had a few interviews ready for after graduation when I got home, Casual driver position, being one of them.
UM, I dont understand, you go to school to become a casual driver? And that is one of the interviews you scheduled?
If you read all of what I’ve said, I said with the economy being tough and not many jobs available I decided to give a big company like UPS a try. Money driving is better than no money at all. Is that not true? And work my way up. Most of my friends that graduated either work terrible jobs or had to take free internships, I figured I would “research” UPS. I found out about BD and thought it was a solid plan.
I felt as tho the interviews I went on were not for the most legit companies so I decided to give driving a shot
Actually the honest version is "I was told that someone fresh out of school wanting a high paying job were a dime a dozen. So since no one would hire me, I settled for UPS."Actually the honest version, “I graduated in one of the toughest times (tell me that’s not true, tell me we are not in a bad economic recession…you can not) and UPS seemed like a smart option.”

and from everything I learned/know/and was told about UPS, they are a great company to work for and like to hire from within. My goal was to drive as a casual until the end of the year and move up to Business Development, which just about everyone in UPS told me was very feasible and they sounded excited about me.
Lets see, your not even just a part time employee, you are casual. And just about everybody at UPS sounded exited and it is very feasible for you to go from casual to full time business development? Really? And what type of drugs were you on that day they fed you this stuff? This happens in movies, not real life.Casual driver that workI worked 55 plus hours a week during peak. Thank you for proving I was deceived. Why did they fill my mind with this, if it’s only possible in movies? Hmm, sound shady? And I have never done drugs in my life, thank you.
Well, a week before peak ended, they tell me know BD isn't all that realistic for me at the time and introduced the idea of Part Time Supervisor.
And you dont see the part time job as a move up from casual?
Less pay to me is not a move
My spirit was instantly shot down when they told me that. I had a pretty crappy route, one that I was told is the worst for learning the area.
It might be a bad area for learning delivery, but it just might be the perfect area to prove your mettle and determination....
I agree and definitely proved myself, they told me that
Missing street signs, streets that don't even make sense, dirt roads (packages all fell on the ground).
And this is UPS's Fault how?
I never said it was, just explained part of why the route was hard to learn
But I always thought; this is what I need to do and if I do, I will be a better person and get the career I truly want.
There you go, some straight talk, first thing you said that made sense.
Yup
They said I would need to do the P.T. Super job first, then be promoted up tom BD.
Far be it for me to disagree with "they" but that is not how it usually works.
They made me feel like that is how it work, that’s the thing.
Well, I took the MAPP assessment December 30th. I got laid off Dec 31st. One week later HR says, "hey we'd love for you to come in for an interview, hold tight, we will call you in a few days." I was so happy, so I waited one week and nothing came. So I called them and I hear, "oh yeah, a few days." well its now been almost 2 months. I could have gotten a different job in this amount of time. HR calls me last week to see if I am still interested in Management. They said I need to take the MAPP, I said I already did. They said, oh, how did you do? I said, nobody ever told me. "Oh, well we will look and call you today." I am tired of waiting to be called back, so I drove in.
After two months off, this is the first time you paid a face to face?I made one hell of a good
impression on them. They said the infamous "we will call you in a few days." That was last Tuesday, so almost a week.
Two months off without any face time, only calls, and you made a hell of an impression alright! What were you doing with your time off?
After dec 31st, they told me they would keep in touch. 1 week went by and they called me and said they want me in for an interview. Great I thought, and asked when approx they think it may happen. “we will call you in a few days.”1 week went by, so I personally went in. They said again a few days. Nothing. And this process went on from the first week in January til now. I did drive myself in a few times and nothing and got the same line each time.
I feel like they affected me negatively, because I waited for them and as a result lost 2 months of a pay check. What do you guys think?
Well since you asked, I will get to that later. But how could they affect you negatively? It was you that sat around without going back to the center, sitting around on your lazy behind, without following through on the phone calls. Who do you have to blame but yourself for your failure?
I never sat on my behind. I called and I went in multiple times.
I agree with all that, but what does one do? wait 5 years til they promote another PT Super to open up a spot? For a job that may or may not even get me to BD,
Well we wont ever know now will we?
And after researching, it sounds like UPS in not the most honest or caring for their employees.
You want honest and caring, get married. Thats what you are looking for, someone to take care of you. Newsflash, UPS ain't it, they aint your mamma, and they wont breast feed you.
Breast feeding and being told things that never happened are not the same, but thank you for the health lesson.
They made BD look like it was right there. They said they are always looking for new people and especially younger people. I'm 22, the next youngest is like 42. I will give them til Friday, and then lost one of the best workers they will see.
All I see here is Wah wah wah....
If you cannot see a kid fresh out of college; researching, then making a plan for himself and committing to the plan and everyone he comes in contact with show positive feedback/support and fill his head with ideas that are not going to happen a bit sad then this convo is obviously wasted. I never cried and never whined, just did my job and hoped for the best.
I am damn right giving UPS an ultimatum.
Hey bubba, you need to go back to school. Someone that issues an ultimatum needs to hold all the cards. And from what you have written so far, all you hold is the joker.
If you read, I mentioned I got defensive with the “ultimatum” comment, because it bothered me. I came here for advice and people tore me pieces for reasons that are not a reality. The ultimatum is can’t keep wasting my time going in and talking with them and calling forever. Come on man, seriously.

Okay guys, basically I must have done a poor job of explaining myself. I did go in multiple times, I did follow up. If I ever got laid off for the day, I would stop by BD or HR just to talk and ask questions. If they called me in the morning not to come in I would stop in anyways. They all know me. I worked for 6 months as a driver, but had my initial interview was in May, but with the whole process, and driving school, and them not starting me for a month after driving school, it was not until July I started. And I worked landscaping in between all that.

I came here for advice, not to fight anyone. I worked hard and was upset, because they really did fill my head with the idea of BD right after peak. That did not happen and I am upset. I am sorry that this thread turned into chaos. I am a great guy and truly put my best efforts into UPS. I know the world doesn't revolve around me. But I am just sad that despite all the feedback from them it happened like this.

I wrote a nice rebuttal to Dannyboy and submitted it, but not sure if it will go through. The point I am trying to make it that I am not whining, I was sharing my experience and asking for feedback, but a select few tore me to pieces, and with reasons that you assumed, from what I wrote. I would need to write a book to really and fully have you guys understand it. So some of the things I wrote were not taken as they really happened. And Dannyboy, when you are trying to impress you make your times as good possible. 10:30 PM is a little late, to make 11:30 anyways (peak).

So guys I apologize. Your opinion of me is not of who I really am. You can consider this thread finished. I am sorry for this :(

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Out

Explaining yourself is a loosers game. There is no reason that someone that is motivated would have been sitting on their behind waiting for employment since may. Hell, thats almost a year. I dont care what was promised. If it is not in writing, it never got said. Its that way everywhere. Deal with it. Move on. If UPS is not working into your busy schedule, go somewhere else.

A while back we had a lawyer that posted here that was working the preload while he was looking for another job. The only difference between him and you is that he did not feel that the job was way beneath his status, like you so obviously feel.

We can only have the words you post to grasp what you are trying to relay. IF what you post is not truthful, then how can we respond the way you want?

d PS not fighting BTW. You asked for opinions. And as a UPSer for most of my life, and the owner of a business that is looking for motivated workers, well, obviously it was not what you wanted to hear. Others might wallow in your self pity pit with you, but it will not be me.

Out

Explaining yourself is a loosers game. There is no reason that someone that is motivated would have been sitting on their behind waiting for employment since may. Hell, thats almost a year. I dont care what was promised. If it is not in writing, it never got said. Its that way everywhere. Deal with it. Move on. If UPS is not working into your busy schedule, go somewhere else.

A while back we had a lawyer that posted here that was working the preload while he was looking for another job. The only difference between him and you is that he did not feel that the job was way beneath his status, like you so obviously feel.

We can only have the words you post to grasp what you are trying to relay. IF what you post is not truthful, then how can we respond the way you want?

d PS not fighting BTW. You asked for opinions. And as a UPSer for most of my life, and the owner of a business that is looking for motivated workers, well, obviously it was not what you wanted to hear. Others might wallow in your self pity pit with you, but it will not be me.

I did not in any way shape or form sit and wait for employment since May. I've been with UPS since May and any day I did not work with them (Lay off days) I worked landscaping (did you not pick up on that?). I am totally grateful for my position as a driver. I had probably 6-7 helpers during peak and they all admired my work ethic and level of quality and concern for doing the best job I could. A few said they would love to have me work for them if they owned a business. One helper told her mom about me, because she said there are not many people like that out there. Customers have thanked me for always being friendly and bringing the package to the best location, telling me the other drivers don't always do that. My point is not that I am better than any job, but if they did not fill my head with unrealistic things, I wouldn't be disappointed. And you really need to understand, I've said this multiple times, I never sat and waited for employment. Where are you even getting that from?

The moral is I was given false hopes. It is not that I am lazy or did not sell myself, because if you read everything I wrote, I indeed did. Plain and simple. On my lunch breaks I would go over all the commentaries and points, and study my map. I would read sales books. Tell me that's lazy? I tried to do EVERYTHING in my power to make myself the best and most capable employee. My first few weeks I always drove to my route on the weekends and followed the route. I would Google map roads at night and study the roads.