Would you jump to UPS?

rod

Retired 22 years
My wife is a teacher as well so insurance is not an issue although the insurance does stink over $500 monthly for the family. Old gray hit it right on the head the school I teach at is inner city. The students are disrespectful and lazy and there are behavior issues all day long. That's why I want a change. I am a former Marine and very much like structure. I am in decent physical condition so that is not really a concern for me. I do appreciate all the feedback I am taking it all into consideration.

Why didn't you say you are a Marine (there is no such thing as a "former" Marine). Go for it and give em hell.

oldngray

nowhere special
My wife is a teacher as well so insurance is not an issue although the insurance does stink over $500 monthly for the family. Old gray hit it right on the head the school I teach at is inner city. The students are disrespectful and lazy and there are behavior issues all day long. That's why I want a change. I am a former Marine and very much like structure. I am in decent physical condition so that is not really a concern for me. I do appreciate all the feedback I am taking it all into consideration.

To work at UPS you don't have to be in Marine physical condition by a long shot. It is physical but the issue is long term wear and tear on the body after doing it for years.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
18 and change. about a buck or so more,a year later.
Plus no making book till at least end of January.
Remember that friend of mine who was a loader when i was hired...then was a driver for a few years...won some money and quit. And he came back this summer as a new loader? He is soo ready to quit...they are busting his hump loading the mall routes everyday. I couldn't do it anymore...not for 11/hr.

bumped

I'd keep your teaching degree and try and get into a better school. The hours at UPS are long. There will be many days that your kids will be asleep by the time you get home.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
It's not always about the money. Honestly, if I could start over and get the career I was actually interested in I would do it and probably be broke but happier. UPS is a pretty slow grind towards the top. Just do whatever makes you happy.

scisector9

To the op:

Starting pay for ft permanent drivers is 18.75 per the national agreement. In my local I got insurance after 90 days from hire not working days. Once you attain seniority there is no shortage of work from my experience. Old drivers at my center love taking days off without pay giving us lower seniority drivers work every day. This might vary per local but low seniority drivers always work here.

I myself was an off the street hire 15 months ago. I worked in the industry delivering laundry for a uniform company. I was commission based at my previous job but took a 15k a year pay cut to come to brown as my first year at 17.25 I made just under 50k my first year. With the new pau rate you should make about what you are making now. I have no regrets for the move and still over a year later am thankful for the opportunity to have this career. For what its worth I don't share a lot of the negativity some on this message board do but I wasn't around before the company went public and the recession of a few years back. The "new economy" has changed a lot of professions and company practices but for me I couldn't picture another gig offering me a potential 6 figure income with free insurance a pension and the other perks we receive like 8 weeks vacation for 25 year employees.

I would ask yourself the reasons for the move and what would be best for your family. My wife is a stay at home mom while our kids are young so the long hours for good pay is with it for me. I like being out by myself getting a work out everyday and love driving so it works for me. As a marine you will fit the ups system well. Good luck either way.

Cheers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can always substitute teach when you are not driving.

I hadn't even considered that. Thanks.

This may not be as easy as it sounds. Locally, our school districts call substitutes either the day before, it they know in advance that they will be needed, or early in the morning if someone calls in sick. With our later start times and the 1 hour window for call-ins, the OP may already be at his teaching job when he gets the call to drive, unless he has already been told that he will be needed that day.

Do yourself a favor----stay in school. Yeah, kids are little :censored2:s, but there is more than one school district in your area.

watdaflock?

Don't leave the teaching job but see if other driver positions available. An AM Saturday overnight delivery or Summer filler driver covering vacations.

Going from teaching to UPS driver is quite the change.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center manager was on car with me on Thursday for an S&V ride. One of the topics we discussed was the ERI question "Would you recommend this job to a friend?" and I was bit surprised that he said "no". We both agreed that the job has changed, on both sides of the aisle, over the past 10-20 years.