Would you miss UPS?

gata

Interesting blog that I saw today. The site is called Brand Autopsy. Check out the comments. The blog itself starts the conversation by asking "If UPS went out of business tomorrow would any of us care?"
DoesUPS provide such a unique service and customer experience that we would be saddened if it didn’t exist? Does UPS treat its employees so astonishingly well that those workers would not be able to find another employer to treat them as well? Does UPS forge such unfailing emotional connections with its customers that they would fail to find another shipping company that could forge just as strong an emotional bond?
http://brandautopsy.typepad.com/brandautopsy/2008/04/would-you-mis-1.html#comments

ImpactedTSG

I don't miss UPS at all:wink2:
Same here. Although I am not lucky enough to be retired like you. :happy-very:

Right now, I am much better paid, much better appreciated, doing 10x more technical stuff than I did in TSG, working a normal 8 to 4:30 M-friend day with weekends off, no phone calls at home off hours, etc.

No I do not miss UPS at all.

I don't miss UPS either. I actually feel like I wasted years working there inside the UPS bubble when I could have been working in the real world (from a technical perspective).

My current job pays pretty much the same but there is less stress, laid back environment, pro-creativity, and respect.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I do not have a diet of full time UPS, but I can say that here in the military I will miss the people, but not the job. I think it is the same where ever you go. I see my tiime at UPS as a vacation. As a P/T feeder driver, I go in, pick up my tractor, hook up the load and on the road. Sometimes I worked the yard, or went and did customer P/Us, but I still did not mind.

Yes I would.

JustTired

free at last.......
If you would have asked me 10 or so years ago, I would have said yes I would miss it. But not any more. Truth is, I can hardly stand to go in. I'm in my last year and can't wait to get out of this mess. I won't miss the people, because I will still see those that I want to.

As a matter of fact, if I ever step into another pkg car once I'm retired, it will be to help a driver who is having a heart attack or something.

Kinda sad when you think about it.

New Englander

I was an old FedEx Express driver before the purchase of RPS.

I actually miss working at FedEx. Other then the pay, I don't think I will miss UPS one bit once it's retirement time.

Even if I make it that far.

The only thing that has changed in my life is starting a family. UPS is the double edged sword. You can provide for them but you become weekend parents.

Knowing I will miss 90% of their afterschool activities really bothers me.

ImpactedTSG

The only thing that has changed in my life is starting a family. UPS is the double edged sword. You can provide for them but you become weekend parents.

Knowing I will miss 90% of their afterschool activities really bothers me.
As a parent, here is my $.02 on this. It's not too late to look elsewhere so you can attend these events. However, if you wait, someday it will be too late because your kids will be grown up. My wife and I made some sacrifices so she could be with our kids during the first few years full time, and she would not trade those years for anything. Now my kids are in dance and sports and I go to every practice and if I am late, they ask where daddy is. It means a lot to me, but it seems it means even more to them.:happy2:

New Englander

As a parent, here is my $.02 on this. It's not too late to look elsewhere so you can attend these events. However, if you wait, someday it will be too late because your kids will be grown up. My wife and I made some sacrifices so she could be with our kids during the first few years full time, and she would not trade those years for anything. Now my kids are in dance and sports and I go to every practice and if I am late, they ask where daddy is. It means a lot to me, but it seems it means even more to them.:happy2:

I'm looking...trust me.

Though I'm afraid with the house and cars I will be here until the car payments are gone. A couple more years.

They are 2.5 and 5.5 , the oldest is starting t-ball etc.

Fingers crossed, lol.

browniehound

I would miss it. I like the daily grind. When I don't HAVE to go there everyday, I think I will look back at UPS and think it was a good choice and I will miss those hard days of work.

O

oldupsman

I won't bad mouth them but I'm with you Rod. Don't miss it even a little bit. Can't imagine stepping back inside a package car. I did enjoy today though. Pension check came in.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
TSG, unless you are the coach, don't go to every practice. Being a helicoptor will cause more issues down the road than missing a few events. My kids seem pretty well adjusted even though I come home late. I don't think I'll miss UPS. I like what I do but overall I'm not that fond of working for a living. BM

DS

Fenderbender
I still have 12 years to put in and I cant say I will miss it.
I like the work and the days fly by,but I really wonder about the day my body says no.I can deal with it now,but who knows when my back,ankles.shoulders.knees will give out.
The worst part is if I cant do my deliveries and pickups and meet thier standards,I'll be cast away like a dead battery.
Upper management is ruining ups,if I could find another job that pays as well,I'd leave in a heartbeat.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Though I'm afraid with the house and cars I will be here until the car payments are gone. A couple more years.

Funny....the majority's reasoning that I should start grad school when I did was because if I waited five or ten years, I'd have a wife, kids, mortgage and two car payments. I sleep peacefully at night knowing I made the right decision. The wife, kids and house payment are 5 years plus off. The car is probably 2 or 3 out.

Get out while the getting is still good, New England. Look back 20 or 25 years. You might see a lot of the same problems afflicting UPS were rampant in companies that no longer exist today....-Rocky

LeddySS98

I have two years of driving under my belt, and I love working for UPS. Yes i would miss it. I have days where managment gets to me, but overall I really enjoy working here.

New Englander

TSG, unless you are the coach, don't go to every practice. Being a helicoptor will cause more issues down the road than missing a few events. My kids seem pretty well adjusted even though I come home late. I don't think I'll miss UPS. I like what I do but overall I'm not that fond of working for a living. BM

The fact that my kids are well adjusted, nor yours isn't what I'm worried about.
I myself am not well adjusted to the fact that I will miss just about everything they both will be doing as they grow up.

Do I like my job? Well that depends the actual motions of our job is pretty damn boring. We pick up boxes and we deliver boxes. I'm a cover driver so I don't get to the point of first name basis with most of the customers of the routes I cover.

I do like being outside for the most part, do like the job flying bye, do like the pay and benefits. As of now I like the pension, though in 20 years? Who knows where that will be.

It's the catch, I was pre-family when I was hired. Great wages and benefits.

2 years isn't that long to wait till the car payments are gone. I'll evaluate everything then. Both kids will be out of preschool as well. Thats another $303 a month saved!

Big Babooba

Did you mean 2¢? I know what you mean, I walked a simular path.

2 years isn't that long to wait till the car payments are gone. I'll evaluate everything then. Both kids will be out of preschool as well. Thats another $303 a month saved!
That's the kind of thinking I engaged in when I first started driving, a couple of years to pay off some debts and then I can go out and start my own business. 18 years later I'm still here hoping that my body can last for two more years.

and NO, I will NOT miss UPS, not for one freakin minute.

New Englander

That's the kind of thinking I engaged in when I first started driving, a couple of years to pay off some debts and then I can go out and start my own business. 18 years later I'm still here hoping that my body can last for two more years.

and NO, I will NOT miss UPS, not for one freakin minute.

Perhaps it is....though it is the current reality. That's $1100 a month (vehicles/preschool) not including full insurance on the vehicles.