Would you risk termination by refusing to operate unsafe equipment?

Would you risk termination by refusing to operate unsafe equipment?

• Yes--safety is most important.

Votes: 50 80.6%
  • No--my job is most important.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I would let my management team make the decision and work as directed.

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i see where you are coming from. i worked in smaller center had 4 tractors, no spare. if one broke **** hit the fan. i did not have to deal with things being dubble triped.
the bigest problem was in the am when drivers doing there pre-trip found what should have been found on the post- trip.
in the centers that i worked in if you ask a pc driver what d.o.t. ment they would tell it was daily over time,i got mine today did you get yours!!

if you refuse to drive any equipment you are fired here

you might get your job back if the worthless union decides to do there job on that particular day

seen it happen to many times, drove tractors with cracked frames and air leaks and pee stains on the seats.

love this company

cant wait for the joe unions and so called stewards to come in here....the guys we got stewards around here only work 2 days a week, they scratch managements back and management scratches theres

cino321

Honestly, everyone who answered "Yes--safety is most important" is lying. We've all driven the 500's, 600's, 800's, and 1000's from the 80's and 90's, with their manual steering, high step, lap seat belt, and unergonomic design, which for the most part still make up the majority of our fleet.

Who are we kidding when we say they're safe.

Seriously.

Last edited:
Honestly, everyone who answered "Yes--safety is most important" is lying. We've all driven the 500's, 600's, 800's, and 1000's from the 80's and 90's, with their manual steering, high step, lap seat belt, and unergonomic design, which for the most part still make up the majority of our fleet.

Seriously.

One`s opinions of whats safe and having equipment that fails DOT regulations are two different things. I`ve driven my share of stuff that I`ve found out later was in violation and I`ve learned from it. No more for me and if I can help someone new learn the difference then no more for them either.

RoyalFlush

One of Them

Seriously.

This is a great example of the "unsafe" card. If we're going to say that driving one of these is unsafe we may as well classify all vehicles as unsafe. There is the potential for injury in driving any UPS vehicle. These vehicles have been driven millions of days, hours, miles without injury.

cachsux thats the thing to do, learn them about dot & safety!!!!! yes the company will cover up any accident they can!!!!
the real problem is with the pc driver who dont want to learn & know they dont have to because the company told them sign this form that show you have been trained (by someone that does not know the dot reg's them self), and by the way it is your job to move brown boxes , you wont make your numbers doing that dot stuf. sad as it is that is the way it is. i have had pc supervisors do a driving cert on me & they dont know what to do with the dvir book & dont care if you fill it out or not. we wonder why the pc drivers dont care about the dvir system.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry.To Black and White.
I use my best judgement at all times!!!!
It shows.:wink2:

cachsux thats the thing to do, learn them about dot & safety!!!!! yes the company will cover up any accident they can!!!!
the real problem is with the pc driver who dont want to learn & know they dont have to because the company told them sign this form that show you have been trained (by someone that does not know the dot reg's them self), and by the way it is your job to move brown boxes , you wont make your numbers doing that dot stuf. sad as it is that is the way it is. i have had pc supervisors do a driving cert on me & they dont know what to do with the dvir book & dont care if you fill it out or not. we wonder why the pc drivers dont care about the dvir system.
Not all PC driver's are the same. I don't really give a squat about over/under or if I made bonus. I do the job, get er done and go home and enjoy family time..........oh yeah, and I spend waaaay too much time on here.:happy2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I've been off for 3 weeks, the truck I was in today should have been written up days ago. I went back 2 weeks and there was nothing. :grrr:The power steering pump was acting up. The only reason I know it should have been written up days ago is because I was talking to my night clerk when I came in and he asked me about it. He said he had to move it last week and he was sure if it was him or the truck. The same driver has had this truck for at least 2 weeks, if not longer. :grrr:It pisses me off to no end.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've been off for 3 weeks, the truck I was in today should have been written up days ago. I went back 2 weeks and there was nothing. :grrr:The power steering pump was acting up. The only reason I know it should have been written up days ago is because I was talking to my night clerk when I came in and he asked me about it. He said he had to move it last week and he was sure if it was him or the truck. The same driver has had this truck for at least 2 weeks, if not longer. :grrr:It pisses me off to no end.
Must be nice to have power steering! Do they also bring lunch out to you driver's out west?:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That would be nice. :happy-very: LOL We only have 1 old p8 that doesn't have power steering and it is supposed to be scrapped soon. I'm praying for the day. :knockedout:
I love my old 800. It keeps my arms up to snuff. I feel that after awhile with power steering people may start saying that I look like a T-Rex.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I love my old 800. It keeps my arms up to snuff. I feel that after awhile with power steering people may start saying that I look like a T-Rex.
Well my dear, you can have 'em. I hate driving them. By the end of the day I'm exhausted. LMAO on T-Rex. That was funny.

thessalonian13

705red started a thread in the discussion forum in which a UPS feeder driver was terminated for refusing to pull a trailer that had defective equipment. OSHA determined that the driver was wrongfully terminated and not only received back pay but was awarded punitive damages and interest.

My question is whether or not you would risk the loss of your job by refusing to operate unsafe equipment.
I would let them fire me and then "I WOULD LAWYER UP"

airbusfxr

The IBT contracts all state you must first use the Union to deal with UPS, if you do not get a fair settlement, then you are free to seek outside legal help. Now if your management (or company man like upsidedown) you would have the right to use outside help. We have had alot of sups, mgrs and div mgrs fired and most just move on "to persue other interests" the funny thing is that UPSCO has fired more mgt people than union members since the airline was started in '88, now thats funny.