Would you still full time drive if..?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I want to be a housewife equates to, I just wanna be a lazy ass, stay home and watch tv.
Disagree.
The two years I got to be a housewife, meant meals were always planned and prepared. House was always clean, clothes were always clean, kids were always clean, kids always knew where Momma would be. Husband got to come home and enjoy the life he was providing, and relax after a tough day at work.
I hear its changed tho.

I just finished my first week of full-time package car driving. I was pushed into it by my wife. She doesn't want to work anymore because she hates her schedule now that we have kids. (thurs-sunday) I had been working preload and driving saturday air for 11 years. I was getting 34-36 hours a week, checks are around 620-650 a week after tax, or 40k last year.

I knew i would not like ft driving very much, but, i hate it even more then i thought i would. I haven't been able to sleep at night thinking about doing this for another 19 years. Since I had previous experience, they already stuck me with 100 industrial stops and 50 pups(a full route)

My wife says if I go back to my old job she is quitting her job, taking out student loans, and is going back to school to be a nurse. She even threatened to leave, cause I told her that would be a bad idea to go in to debt. She said "well, I guess we obviously want different things in life, and maybe this wont work."

What would you do? I feel trapped. My wife is only making it harder, makes me want to go back more..

I can save you the marriage counsellor fees....if your marriages success hinges on whether or not you work for Big Brown then you are taking a very long walk off a short pier. Making your kids her #1 priority is noble but trying to force you to do something you're going to hate for the next 20 years could also be the cause of a failed marriage. Before turning in your mancard,ask her how she'll enjoy you not being home from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.,not being able to take junior to baseball practice while she takes missy to gymnastics because you have another 25 stops to go,or not having a family dinner mon-fri because the kids will be in bed before you walk thru the door....

Dont get me wrong,the money is pretty damn good and the benefits are excellent and with children they're both necessities. But along with that comes tons of sacrifices that you can't even begin to imagine. It's a team decision,not just hers. Shed a little light about the afore mentioned things and see if she still feels the same way. If she does,at least you can tell her you told her so....Good luck either way.

UPSGUY72

It appears it's going to be her way or the highway. However it pretty easy to go back to your PT gig and she can't do anything about it get DQ.

Disagree.
The two years I got to be a housewife, meant meals were always planned and prepared. House was always clean, clothes were always clean, kids were always clean, kids always knew where Momma would be. Husband got to come home and enjoy the life he was providing, and relax after a tough day at work.
I hear its changed tho.
It has changes some. We now wash dishes , wash clothes dry fold and put them away. Also we clean bathrooms up to three and take out the trash and take care of all the outside duties. The vacuuming is done my the methods and is done better than any housewife thanks to ups and there drill Sargent mentality.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes, I have seen the changes with some of the men I work with. I try to zip lips and shut up.
It appears when he gets home she goes on break, coz she has worked all day, and he, well, hes been playing tiddly winks.
There is nothing wrong with helping out around the house when shes had a rough day, especially with a newborn in the house. But once things settle down, she has her job, and thats the house and kids, and he has his, the bacon bringer homer.
I stress helping. When you are a housewife, yes you can take breaks more often, and not be quite as rushed, or on a schedule as a working person, but it is hard work, just a little more relaxed, AT TIMES. Not always.

Im glad that part of my life is over, I went from being a housewife, to the one thrown under the bus, and having to do it all. I loved it. I made the best of it, so Im jealous I guess of women who have husbands like that. It was unheard of to send the hubby to the store,or make him "watch" the kids so you could go alone to the store. In some ways it is better that husbands are more involved, certainly. In others I think women have gotten selfish, with the all about me attitudes. JMO

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The divorce revolution—the steady displacement of a marriage culture by a culture of divorce and unwed parenthood—has failed. It has created terrible hardships for children, incurred unsupportable social costs, and failed to deliver on its promise of greater adult happiness. The time has come to shift the focus of national attention from divorce to marriage…. To reverse the current deterioration of child and societal well-being in the United States, we must strengthen the institution of marriage…. Strengthening marriage…. must become our most important goal. For unless we reverse the decline of marriage, no other achievements—no tax cut, no new government program, no new idea—will be powerful enough to reverse the trend of declining child well-being…. We call for the nation to commit itself to this overriding goal: To increase the proportion of children who grow up with their two married parents and decrease the proportion of children who do not… Who, today, is still promoting marriage? Who is even talking about it? In place of a national debate about what has happened to marriage there has been silence—stone-cold silence. (Council on Families in America (1995), Marriage in America: A report to the nation

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'd say, try going fulltime within the building. It will always be stright eight hours a day, five days a week. Parking cars, washing cars etc etc. You think your choice of going driving for 8 - 11 hours a day will save your marrige, you would be greatly mistaken.

Talk to your other driver mates and you will find out that the majority have been failed marriges because of the jobs requirement. I'm sure for the most of them, at first, the money was great and there were no problems. But after the long days of being apart and years of this, the outcome seems to be the same. Its always, he's never here for me, all week long. Or she ends up finding a boyfriend on the side to make up for the absence.

A strong women, these days, are hard to find. They like the money, but hate that your always away. In reality, its hard to win in this situation. I know my gf would be a strong women if I were to go into driving. But I like the stright eight hours idea in the warehouse. Make about a grand a week for simple, slow and safe work.

Talk to a steward or sign those bid sheets when they come along. I'm sure management wont be too happy with your choice, as well the wifes opinion. But the money is good, and the down time during the day will be better.

Indecisi0n

The divorce revolution—the steady displacement of a marriage culture by a culture of divorce and unwed parenthood—has failed. It has created terrible hardships for children, incurred unsupportable social costs, and failed to deliver on its promise of greater adult happiness. The time has come to shift the focus of national attention from divorce to marriage…. To reverse the current deterioration of child and societal well-being in the United States, we must strengthen the institution of marriage…. Strengthening marriage…. must become our most important goal. For unless we reverse the decline of marriage, no other achievements—no tax cut, no new government program, no new idea—will be powerful enough to reverse the trend of declining child well-being…. We call for the nation to commit itself to this overriding goal: To increase the proportion of children who grow up with their two married parents and decrease the proportion of children who do not… Who, today, is still promoting marriage? Who is even talking about it? In place of a national debate about what has happened to marriage there has been silence—stone-cold silence. (Council on Families in America (1995), Marriage in America: A report to the nation

Haven't we already decided that "the gays" ruined marriage? (said sarcastically)

BigBrown3605

Disagree.
I hear its changed tho.

I know there are alot of women that take take of the family and house but I'm was talking about his situation. His wife sounds selfish. And he needs to grow a set.