Writing Box Shelf # on Box itself

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I've just always been the kind of person to give people what they want, ya know?
I make sure the person I'm observing know it's something dumb and I have to hit them for something if they are perfect. For unload my go to is usually not using the roller set. Loading is usually setting bags to the side. Car wash it's usually not using the horn enough. Just little things that don't look too bad. I'll play the game.

Mothe73

Since I have been lurking forever let me speak up( or whine) now. First I have no labels to pull I get red ink from an imprinter. It may or may not be near a label, or even legible. Next I would love to give you numerical order. But I simply do not have time. Right section is a miracle some days. I work belt to car. 3 trucks that have bulk loads for lowes an wally world mixed in with resi. Many of these pkgs are much larger than I am. So forgive me on my slow days.

By The Book

I do know it was very helpful as a loader to use a crayon, before we had the pal system and edd. As a driver back then you had to fine sort all day anyway.

govols019

You smell that?
Since I have been lurking forever let me speak up( or whine) now. First I have no labels to pull I get red ink from an imprinter. It may or may not be near a label, or even legible. Next I would love to give you numerical order. But I simply do not have time. Right section is a miracle some days. I work belt to car. 3 trucks that have bulk loads for lowes an wally world mixed in with resi. Many of these pkgs are much larger than I am. So forgive me on my slow days.

Excuses..that's what I'm reading. I know preloading can be difficult but it can be done and done correctly...I know, I've done it.

9.5er

Our loaders have been instructed to write the sequence # on all boxes. I never look at any hand written #s. I can't read most of them and lots of times they write the wrong # anyway.
If my truck is not finished by my start time I tell the loader to stop writing and just put it where is should go.

Cementups

Box Monkey
So says the person that has never done the job...typical for you.

The written HIN number is not for the drivers benefit but to help the preloader more easily place the packages in the proper order.

When i was a loader I HATED writing on the packages and when was told I had to do it I would refuse and tell them that that is defacing someone else property.

But as a driver, if a loader does it right, the writings can be hugely beneficial. I used to have a loader that did it perfectly. Stop for stop in my PC. So good that Stevie Wonder could have run my trip.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I never look at these numbers. I always go by the original shipping label. As a driver, I appreciate if the preloader can load so that I can easily read the label. I will pull the PAL labels off and put them on the oversize packages on the floor so that I can easily find them.

UPSGUY72

They might tell you it's both but it's really just to make sure your putting the package in the correct car. They make the preloaders do it at my place every now and then when there is a spike in missloads.

I could careless what number is written on the box. I only care what the label says.

Overpaid Union Thug

So says the person that has never done the job...typical for you.

The written HIN number is not for the drivers benefit but to help the preloader more easily place the packages in the proper order.
Actually he has a point. There is no need to write the number when the number used to place the package in the car is already on the PAL. It's reductant and therefore a waste of time. And since most preloaders don't have time to/aren't capable of writing legible numbers, and since there are often duplicate sequence numbers (that should never happen), we often end up having to do six sided checks for a label with an address. If they would just go back to facing either the PAL or the shipping label then we'd save allot of time each day. So, unless they are legible and not duplicated relying on handwritten numbers nowadays is counter productive. Hell I didn't even use them back before we had EDD.

Jesus, really?

That's pretty stupid.... I don't have huge hub experience, just work in a relatively small center (about 75-85 routes a day) but it seems like good methods for one would work for the other...

It's stupid but its the norm now. Most of our preloaders don't touch the PALs anymore. I don't even want to know how much more time I have been spending in the back of the truck since this crap started. I can tell you that it makes me want to choke the life out of whatever empty suit in Atlanta issued the order. After being in the back of the truck too long flipping packages around looking for a label in the heat I have to step out and take a break and remind myself that they are paying me pretty damn well to be counter productive. LOL! Then I wipe the sweat off my face with my sweat towel and then dive back in. LOL!

Last edited: