WWJD

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All they have to do is look at the dots.
Wont that show them I was sitting on a certain street for a certain amount of time, for no reason? No delivery at that point, nothing going on in my board. I dont think pulling out the video camera would be a very good idea :whiteflag: All I am going to ask my center manager in my letter is to allow me into that area earlier by not giving me so much commercial. That is the fix. Giving it to someone else who could get there earlier is giving it back to the original route. When he has it, he can get in and out early, the rest of his day consists of much nicer area in another loop.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Girl

When you write your letter, send a copy to human resources, corp in atlanta, and in about two weeks, your paper if UPS does not respond.

LEt them know you are in fear of your life and while deliveries in that area are not bad before three, after that time things start getting bad, especially on friday nights.

Make sure you send it registered mail, as the rest they can say we did not get it.

I would also get the union involved. Do the full court press. Make it such an issue that they can not ignore it. Part of offering to cover each address in the USA is the ability to keep the drivers safe during deliveries of unsafe neighborhoods.

d

PS IF you want me to help, let me know via PM.

PS, Mike, HE broke bread, not parted the red sea..:happy-very:...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Girl

When you write your letter, send a copy to human resources, corp in atlanta, and in about two weeks, your paper if UPS does not respond.

LEt them know you are in fear of your life and while deliveries in that area are not bad before three, after that time things start getting bad, especially on friday nights.

Make sure you send it registered mail, as the rest they can say we did not get it.
With a return receipt required!
:happy-very:...
The newspaper is a great idea!!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Tooner, I would start calling the cops every time you went into that area and you felt your life was in danger. 911! Make them come out. Call the news media and tell them that you are calling for help and the cops are not responding. Try anything and everything you can think of. News media will jump on it if they think there is a story there. We have a news channel that does an "On your side" story every day to help people get results on issues. Try that. UPS and local police don't like being brought into the limelight when it is negatively affecting them. I pray for you everyday and truly hope that you can get some positive results. Be safe and come home every night.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You know, while UPS is suposed to gender neutral, lets face it. You girls are more apt to get molested than a balding, pudgy, white guy. ( I dont know though, from some of the posts on the other sections of this site, maybe not) Or worse.

And like it or not, that is something UPS has to come face to face with. If they insist on working Drivers till after dark even during the summer, then they need to address the security of their employees in dangerous areas. Pure and simple.

And like I posted, if they ignore the requests, then you need to get the public on UPS's tail. They try to portray themselves as a company that cares about the employee, but yet refuses to adjust the dispatch of a woman driver to put her into harms way? I could see Dateline, etc etc run with that one.

Like I said, no excuses. Dont let them off the hook.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will not back down, The more ground they take, the more they want. I would figure a way to get through.

Which may work just fine down by the Egg or some of the streets down by St Rose or some of the other less desirable areas of Albany but I think they all pale in comparison to what Tooner has been describing. Her safety and well-being certainly are far more important than any package.

(BTW, my daughter took me a restaurant called The Pump Station, which is down by the river in an old water pumping station in Albany. Have you ever been there? Great food and they brew their own beer/ales.)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I will not back down, The more ground they take, the more they want. I would figure a way to get through.
I think its worked so far so why not. It seems the best option. Im sure the crack head who I told to move doesnt even remeber it.

All great ideas. TV and etc, is not what I want, its a simple solution, but not one anyone is willing to do.
I discussed it tactfully and I was told to call the police, and then the center. Which is what LP, or whoever has told them to tell me to do. Picture this I am surrounded by thugs, who most likely have weapons, and definetely drugs, and Im going to call 911?. And if I can do so before the cops show, if they do.................. I should call the center and say what? What is my OMS going to tell me? :whiteflag:

Im sure it is being looked at as I am a female, and that is why I am scared.
The other guys who have actually had guns pointed at them for packages, dont complain.
I dont want media attention, I want no attention brought to myself, I just want to do my job and go home. I dont want it to turn into a media spectacle. If I did I would be a definite target, they would know they scared me. I merely explained my situation, and wanted help, and as much as I think they are good guys, and would like to help, they do not know how it is there.
And it isnt like its every day, most days being cautious I dont have much problem, or see it in time to avoid it. Its not a daily thing but its bad enough in the area, to make a few provisions. We are only talking 5 to 6 streets, that I need to be out of by at least 2pm. The rest I know places and people and am fairly safe.
The big problem is they keep telling me when we get PAS, all will be fixed. If they wont listen now, how can I expect they will then. And Ive been hearing it for 2 yrs.
Im at a standstill, Im not sure how to react. Whatever I do I will be looked upon as if I am over reacting. But Im not, Ive gotten tough and street smart, it just gets so bad out when the weather is nice.

browndevil

You know, while UPS is suposed to gender neutral, lets face it. You girls are more apt to get molested than a balding, pudgy, white guy. ( I dont know though, from some of the posts on the other sections of this site, maybe not) Or worse.

And like it or not, that is something UPS has to come face to face with. If they insist on working Drivers till after dark even during the summer, then they need to address the security of their employees in dangerous areas. Pure and simple.

And like I posted, if they ignore the requests, then you need to get the public on UPS's tail. They try to portray themselves as a company that cares about the employee, but yet refuses to adjust the dispatch of a woman driver to put her into harms way? I could see Dateline, etc etc run with that one.

Like I said, no excuses. Dont let them off the hook.

d
I had a mgr. say once "if the packages were not safe to deliver after dark than my drivers are not safe delivering them after dark"

Camping Nana

I think its worked so far so why not. It seems the best option. Im sure the crack head who I told to move doesnt even remeber it.

All great ideas. TV and etc, is not what I want, its a simple solution, but not one anyone is willing to do.
I discussed it tactfully and I was told to call the police, and then the center. Which is what LP, or whoever has told them to tell me to do. Picture this I am surrounded by thugs, who most likely have weapons, and definetely drugs, and Im going to call 911?. And if I can do so before the cops show, if they do.................. I should call the center and say what? What is my OMS going to tell me? :whiteflag:

Im sure it is being looked at as I am a female, and that is why I am scared.
The other guys who have actually had guns pointed at them for packages, dont complain.
I dont want media attention, I want no attention brought to myself, I just want to do my job and go home. I dont want it to turn into a media spectacle. If I did I would be a definite target, they would know they scared me. I merely explained my situation, and wanted help, and as much as I think they are good guys, and would like to help, they do not know how it is there.
And it isnt like its every day, most days being cautious I dont have much problem, or see it in time to avoid it. Its not a daily thing but its bad enough in the area, to make a few provisions. We are only talking 5 to 6 streets, that I need to be out of by at least 2pm. The rest I know places and people and am fairly safe.
The big problem is they keep telling me when we get PAS, all will be fixed. If they wont listen now, how can I expect they will then. And Ive been hearing it for 2 yrs.
Im at a standstill, Im not sure how to react. Whatever I do I will be looked upon as if I am over reacting. But Im not, Ive gotten tough and street smart, it just gets so bad out when the weather is nice.

Tooner........ I appreciate your attitude of not wanting to make the situation or yourself a spectacle. I'm sure I don't understand everything about the situation - however, IMHO, you have an obligation to yourself and your family to put your safety first. I would have written documentation for the center manager and DM (someone else suggested all the way to corporate?) - then if at all possible, I would run my route in such a way that I could be out of that area by 2 p.m. You stated you don't want a media circus or to draw attention from the media - but think of the media spectacle it will be if (and when) something were to happen to you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And the corresponding bullseye that would be drawn squarely on her back as a result.
Isn't there already a target there? The company has forced her into a dangerous situation and does nothing to protect her. The company preaches safety every day, so where are they when it literally is the difference between life and death.

Camping Nana

IMHO, breaking off the route and running it out of sequence for this reason of personal safety is not the same as breaking off just because you want to "do your own thing"!