y do i feel like im being used as a drivers helper?

UPSGUY72

Some drivers will use their helpers to ease the workload on themselves, rather than get done in a reasonable amount of time.

Both parties should be doing something 99% of the time. It is inefficient for one person to be sitting or standing around while the other is working.

I don't get out of the car and can do 37 + stops and hr with a helper... But I guess that is inefficient in your book. The only time my car is stationary is when the helper is walking to and from the car.

barnyard

KTM rider
Depends on the route. Mine is stand alone businesses in the morning and rural residentials in the afternoon. I told my helper we dont have too many stops next to each other where we can both work so you are essentially my runner.

That is pretty much the way the route is that I have been running. I run one when I can, but for the 4 hours that I have my helper, she is doing most of the running.

gotbrown

if i was the op i would ride it out, its the job. And trust me you say something or try to cause a problem for the driver, it will be your last day he can just say he doesn't want you and get another runner..There are guys just sitting at home waiting to work.

gostillerz

Until 13:00 or so, my guy runs most of the business stuff unless we can each do a block because I'm looking for packages and getting the truck sorted for the resi stops. Once we start that and everything is where it's supposed to be, we fly through the houses.

To the OP, if the load is set up good, and he's still not doing any stops himself, you have a point and I know it sucks. My advice: If he's treating you like a $9.00 worker, work like one.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Am I the only one who agrees with the OP that his driver is taking advantage of him?

"Taking advantage" implies that the driver is placing unreasonable, excessive or inappropriate expectations on the helper. I dont see where that is taking place based upon the information provided.

It is possible that the driver is not using the helper in a 100% optimum manner to enhance productivity. If that is the case...the issue would be between the driver and his management. The helpers job is to assist the driver in the delivery and pickup of packages. That is what he is doing and that is what he is being paid for.

what is it

Stop crying, I had my helper do 101 stops in 2 1/2. Hours and I got out of the truck for 6 stops. And do u know what he said to me when we were done, he had a blast and he was going home early thank you

JakeD

Stop crying, I had my helper do 101 stops in 2 1/2. Hours and I got out of the truck for 6 stops. And do u know what he said to me when we were done, he had a blast and he was going home early thank you

2.5hrs is hardly worth getting up for.. what.. 20 bucks? why would anyone being paid hourly want to go home early? ever.

My driver said screw 3.5hrs i'm keeping you the whole day and we'll get things done. touched the DIAD for 3 sig's. He'd scan, i'd jump. while i was out, he was setting up the next 2-5 stops plus fixing the mess the loaders made.

gingerkat

I like to stay busy and that is why I took this job, not for huge paycheck - lol. If it weren't busy I would probably take that cord from the diad and try to kill myself with it. Busy day = fast moving day, for me anyway.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I've worked with 50+ drivers (maybe significantly more, I've lost count through the years) in my decade-plus career as a driver helper. I get the job. I've worked as a seasonal driver and have had a helper (and probably would if not for the fact that seasonal driving isn't red circled, thus I make more working inside/as a helper). Absolutely -- it's advantageous for the driver to sort the truck & set-up stops while the helper makes the deliveries. HOWEVER... the overwhelming majority of drivers I've worked with remain on the truck & text, talk on the phone, etc. while I make deliveries on both sides of the street, to two consecutive houses with long driveways, to multiple apartments/offices, etc. These drivers are suppose to be sharing these deliveries with me, thus expediting their completion time. Instead, they're taking advantage of me (well, not me, but having the helper). I certainly don't know what situation the OP falls in (being taken advantage of or just moaning about delivering while driver is sorting) but am surprised (OK, not really) by the negative comments.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Taking advantage" implies that the driver is placing unreasonable, excessive or inappropriate expectations on the helper. I dont see where that is taking place based upon the information provided.

"Taking advantage" can be as simple as the driver sitting on his butt while the helper runs off the majority of the stops.

Ms.PacMan

I don't think these threads are helpful because routes are obviously very different. My heaviest day so far was 255 stops and 400+ pieces. 8 hrs of help (11-7)and I still showed a 10 hr day. I don't think I got out of the truck once after I picked up my helper. It was all I could do to find the next stops. Helper delivering neighbors then coming back to the truck to run across the street is common on my route. Houses are 25-50 ft from the curb - very fast paced. Even when I have made some headway and could help run packages off - I can't because I have to move everything forward to accomodate pick-ups.

And bless her heart - when I search for multiple packages my helper will run up to the house with what I have found so in case I don't find the other pkg. the stop will be done and we won't waste anymore time.

Indecisi0n

Every route uses a helper differently. I covered a rural area in the beginning of the week and am not able to drop off helper with hand cart. It would cost me more time doubling back to get him so I use him to run while I sort or to hit house across from each other. Then on Thursday I covered a tighter route where I could drop him off and we scratched on the route. Every route is different so should be your methods.

wayfair

swollen member
I've worked with 50+ drivers (maybe significantly more, I've lost count through the years) in my decade-plus career as a driver helper. I get the job. I've worked as a seasonal driver and have had a helper (and probably would if not for the fact that seasonal driving isn't red circled, thus I make more working inside/as a helper). Absolutely -- it's advantageous for the driver to sort the truck & set-up stops while the helper makes the deliveries. HOWEVER... the overwhelming majority of drivers I've worked with remain on the truck & text, talk on the phone, etc. while I make deliveries on both sides of the street, to two consecutive houses with long driveways, to multiple apartments/offices, etc. These drivers are suppose to be sharing these deliveries with me, thus expediting their completion time. Instead, they're taking advantage of me (well, not me, but having the helper). I certainly don't know what situation the OP falls in (being taken advantage of or just moaning about delivering while driver is sorting) but am surprised (OK, not really) by the negative comments.

so being taking advantage of or putting money in your pocket... in other words, giving you HOURS...

There are helpers here needing hours