y do i feel like im being used as a drivers helper?

Justaname

Helper and the driver are not equal. The helper should be doing most if not all of the Resi deliveries. If I'm out delivering package to houses who the hell is sorting the back of the car. If I'm out delivering packages who sitting in the drivers seat ready to go when to help gets back. The helpers is there to lower the time spent not moving to the next stop. Which means they do the running, I do the sorting and driving and route planning.

If the helpers don't like the working condition the helper can quit. The working condition in my car are not up to debate or discussion I'm responsible for everything. the only thin the helper is responsible for is show up on time and some have problems doing that.
That's how it was done with every driver I've ever helped. I've never been dropped off with a handcart and a diad, it wouldn't work for my centers area. I run the packages the driver sorts and gets ready for next stop.

UPSGUY72

That's how it was done with every driver I've ever helped. I've never been dropped off with a handcart and a diad, it wouldn't work for my centers area. I run the packages the driver sorts and gets ready for next stop.

I would never drop my helper off with a cart and go do something else. It's a waste of time, I go one way and don't back track and I have had it done to me in a snow storm I would never put my helper in a situation like that.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
My helper has more stops in her board everyday. She's a 6 year pre-loader/air driver and my helper everyday for the past two peak seasons. I can turn her loose on one side of the block with a cart full of stops and go down to the next block. She either catches up at the end of the block or waits on the corner after I square the block off. She's quick, accurate, and also catches my mistakes when I screw up. She had 93 stops and 202 pcs.in her board when I dropped her off after 4 and a half hours, I had 29. Finished the day with a total of 171 stops and 417 pcs. Plus 37 pickups and 323 pcs. The day will be about a 9.8 with -50 under. Thats how I use my helper.

Thats about 21 sphor, next to impossible unless it's one building.
You did 29 stops? Time for lunch,a haircut and a dental checkup.
JK

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wont drop off my helper (if I had one) on any of the streets where we could make time. Its not safe. In a nice neighborhood maybe. But because of all the complaints I have read on here, is why I never take a helper. Its hard enough to keep myself safe. Im not going to be responsible for another, not street smart, not paying attention, focusing on their work whatever. No one is getting hurt on my watch. Sprained ankles would be the least of the worries, loose roaming dogs and thugs is the most of my worry. My conscience could not live with that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I would never drop my helper off with a cart and go do something else. It's a waste of time, I go one way and don't back track and I have had it done to me in a snow storm I would never put my helper in a situation like that.

I remember when I was helping me and my driver were either #1 or #2 in stops per hour as a team. All management kept saying was u need to be dropping him off with a cart then coming back and picking him up. What a joke let the driver utilize their helper in the best way possible.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The only guy dressed in brown on his phone all day is my boss. I rarely even look at mine. Lunch, breaks, other than that, who wants to talk? I want to go home.

Big Babooba

My helper ran off 165 stops in 8 hours today. I stayed in the truck and fine tuned the heater controls. Boy did I rip him a new one when he left the door open a fraction of a second too long! To show him my appreciation, I spent fifty cents on some cheese crackers for his lunch. He was forever grateful to be working for a driver like me and I reminded him of it at every stop!

UPSGUY72

My helper ran off 165 stops in 8 hours today. I stayed in the truck and fine tuned the heater controls. Boy did I rip him a new one when he left the door open a fraction of a second too long! To show him my appreciation, I spent fifty cents on some cheese crackers for his lunch. He was forever grateful to be working for a driver like me and I reminded him of it at every stop!

I did 24 stops before I pickup my helper at 10:00 1st stop with helper was the post office which took 20 minutes. Then he ran off 200 stops in just over 7 hours. I dropped him off at 5:30 and did one last stop. I told him I don't really like to work in the dark so he better move with a sense of urgency or I'll have to find another helper. For his trouble I had a bottle of water some crackers and a granola bar for him.

Big Babooba

I did 24 stops before I pickup my helper at 10:00 1st stop with helper was the post office which took 20 minutes. Then he ran off 200 stops in just over 7 hours. I dropped him off at 5:30 and did one last stop. I told him I don't really like to work in the dark so he better move with a sense of urgency or I'll have to find another helper. For his trouble I had a bottle of water some crackers and a granola bar for him.

I picked up my helper at 9:50. I had 1 stop done. I saved the rest for him! It was tricky keeping the cab at my comfort level whenever he opened the door. I wish my truck had climate control like my car - that would make my job soooooo much easier!

UPSGUY72

I picked up my helper at 9:50. I had 1 stop done. I saved the rest for him! It was tricky keeping the cab at my comfort level whenever he opened the door. I wish my truck had climate control like my car - that would make my job soooooo much easier!

I was happy that the heat in the 800 I had worked halfway decent. But it's either hotter than Hell of freezing cold there is no middle ground. But I really can't complain it must have been colder outside of the car.