#YangGang2020

vantexan

How's your retirement abroad going?

I was really enjoying your stories about how you figured out the secret to living a great life for cheap outside of the United States.

Where are you living now my friend?
You know I'm working. How's it going? My wife and I were coming back from an anniversary trip yesterday, t-boned a lady who pulled out from a stop sign. Totalled the car. Everyone ok, a little sore.

BrownArmy

I just don't buy the theory.
We haven't found evidence of alien life so... climate change hurr durr.

I'm all for efficient energy production/harnessing though.

It’s not necessarily about climate change (although that’s our problem)...

The question is, where is everyone else in the Universe?

Just in our own Milky Way galaxy, a reasonable projection is 10-20 spacefaring civilizations.

But there are 100,000,000,000 galaxies. The odds that we are the only sentient beings to have ever evolved are scant.

In our own galaxy, if other planetary civilizations didn’t leave their planet, at least there would be radio waves that we’d pick up.

Yet, nothing.

The question is, why?

It’s entirely possible that spacefaring civilizations did or will exist in our own galaxy, but they died out or haven’t been born yet (after all our sentient time on the Earth hasn’t been all that long).

So, the ‘Great Filter’.

Either we’re truly special (unlikely), or we’ve not heard from anyone because they are displaced from us in time, or no civilization has been able to leave their planet.

Look at Earth, do we seem poised to concur our own Solar System, or move beyond?

Sadly, no.

The answer to ‘Fermi’s Paradox’ is that everyone who could have possibly contacted us died in their own political/environmental filth.

Sad.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It’s not necessarily about climate change (although that’s our problem)...

The question is, where is everyone else in the Universe?

Just in our own Milky Way galaxy, a reasonable projection is 10-20 spacefaring civilizations.

But there are 100,000,000,000 galaxies. The odds that we are the only sentient beings to have ever evolved are scant.

In our own galaxy, if other planetary civilizations didn’t leave their planet, at least there would be radio waves that we’d pick up.

Yet, nothing.

The question is, why?

It’s entirely possible that spacefaring civilizations did or will exist in our own galaxy, but they died out or haven’t been born yet (after all our sentient time on the Earth hasn’t been all that long).

So, the ‘Great Filter’.

Either we’re truly special (unlikely), or we’ve not heard from anyone because they are displaced from us in time, or no civilization has been able to leave their planet.

Look at Earth, do we seem poised to concur our own Solar System, or move beyond?

Sadly, no.

The answer to ‘Fermi’s Paradox’ is that everyone who could have possibly contacted us died in their own political/environmental filth.

Sad.
It's a theory based on the idea that lack of evidence is evidence. I don't buy it.

BrownArmy

It's a theory based on the idea that lack of evidence is evidence. I don't buy it.

Which part don’t you buy?

That we haven’t had contact with ‘aliens’?

Or that it just might not be possible?

Perhaps the distances are too great.

In either case, it’s evident that we’ll likely die right here on this planet.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Which part don’t you buy?

That we haven’t had contact with ‘aliens’?

Or that it just might not be possible?

Perhaps the distances are too great.

In either case, it’s evident that we’ll likely die right here on this planet.
I don't buy the idea that climate change/energy source depletion is the reason we do not have evidence of alien life.

vantexan

Where the friend do you live?

It’s changing everywhere.
Really? Weather service is predicting a cooler than normal September. Look at weather stats for the 1930's. Things go in cycles. Not that there isn't any merit to man influenced climate. But even if we do everything 100% right, which we won't, doesn't stop the rest of the world from polluting. But in the U.S. It's really about controlling everything and everyone.

BrownArmy

I don't buy the idea that climate change/energy source depletion is the reason we do not have evidence of alien life.

That’s not anyone’s assertion.

I brought up climate change as one of our biggest challenges, because even if we were united as a species to leave this planet, it’s more than likely we’re too late.

Back to the ‘Great Filter’.

Either we’re the only people in the galaxy (possible, but statistically improbable), or no one has passed the filter.

It’s just a theory.

BrownArmy

Really? Weather service is predicting a cooler than normal September. Look at weather stats for the 1930's. Things go in cycles. Not that there isn't any merit to man influenced climate. But even if we do everything 100% right, which we won't, doesn't stop the rest of the world from polluting. But in the U.S. It's really about controlling everything and everyone.

Parrot talking points.

You’re disappointing, but you’ve heard that before.

BrownArmy

So, we shouldn’t do anything because other people are doing things?

What a weak argument.

The US used to matter, we used to be the world leader.

Guess who’s kicking our butt in renewable energy?

China.

Guess what the next gigantic market is?

Africa.

Guess who’s kicking our butt in that market?

China.

Whether or not you think climate change is real (it is), the US is acting like an ostrich with its head in the sand while other countries assume the vanguard of new technologies and new markets.

We’re falling behind, and your argument is “but, but, but”.

Weak.

BrownArmy

It's the assertion of the theory you brought up.

I brought up the theory of the ‘Great Filter’, which posits numerous reasons we haven’t heard from anyone else out there, and I added my own spin as to why we possibly/certainly won’t leave this planet, which, IMO, is climate death and political apathy.