Yet another example of abject corporate stupidity...

brownIEman

I can understand and accept the need to hold us to a higher standard.

There comes a point, however, when the standard is ridiculous and arbitrary and utterly devoid of logic or common sense. And at that point, it is no longer possible to take anything the company says about safety seriously. I would say that we have reached that point.

Blanket statements are tricky at best, and silly at worst IMO. And this one is a silly one. Saying since the company has said silly things about safety, so all of what they say about safety can no longer be taken seriously is in and of itself silly. I understand your frustration, but that is going way to far, that is throwing the baby out with the bath water to use and old cliche.

What if I had that attitude? I have had hourly hub employees come up with some really ridiculous suggestions for me about safety. Like, say UPS should refuse to accept any packages from any customer if they do not have wax and packing tape sealing every edge of the card board to eliminate the possibility of a paper cut. No, really. Now, should I tell my pick off that no, I will not tell PE about the nasty, sharp, jagged piece of metal sticking out of the belt guide in his pick off station and have it fixed because I can no longer take safety concerns from hourlies seriously?

Before the flaming starts up again, just let me one more time reiterate that I am in total agreement with you about how silly it would be to judge an accident solely on whether or not an animal had an owner...

stewardtwoniner

So you're saying that there are enough sadist, mean-spirited and cruel drivers out there just targeting animals for jollies that this policy must be put in place?

really...? I'm trying to understand this.

that may be a bit strong though someone did say somethin bout notch's on the steering wheel. There are enough that dont worry about hitting an animal. professional drivers dont hit things.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Heres the question. It is 2:55 am, and I am in charge of a 200% load in double trailers. I am doing the speed limit, +- 5 MPH(55 mph). 4 lane highway, with a center turn lane. Road is dry, weather is clear. No oncoming traffic, headlights on hi beams.
Two labs( at least that they looked like) are doing the wild thing in the middle of my lane. By the time I see the dogs, understand what is going on, I have less the 2 seconds to do something. Remember, I am covering 88 feet(more or less) PER SECOND. A full panic, both feet on the brake stop will take 250+ feet. A swerve, hard enough to miss the dogs, will result in a trailer turning over, or at the very least, the vehicle leaving the roadway.

WHAT DO YOU DO..............
Look into the rearview mirror at the two hairy pancakes.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Heres the question. It is 2:55 am, and I am in charge of a 200% load in double trailers. I am doing the speed limit, +- 5 MPH(55 mph). 4 lane highway, with a center turn lane. Road is dry, weather is clear. No oncoming traffic, headlights on hi beams.
Two labs( at least that they looked like) are doing the wild thing in the middle of my lane. By the time I see the dogs, understand what is going on, I have less the 2 seconds to do something. Remember, I am covering 88 feet(more or less) PER SECOND. A full panic, both feet on the brake stop will take 250+ feet. A swerve, hard enough to miss the dogs, will result in a trailer turning over, or at the very least, the vehicle leaving the roadway.

You simply recite the ten-point commentary, and all will be well.

soberups

Blanket statements are tricky at best, and silly at worst IMO. And this one is a silly one. Saying since the company has said silly things about safety, so all of what they say about safety can no longer be taken seriously is in and of itself silly. I understand your frustration, but that is going way to far, that is throwing the baby out with the bath water to use and old cliche.......

If you want your people to buy in to your safety program, then what you are saying needs to make sense.

If you are my boss and you tell me that the determining factor in whether or not I will be charged with an accident and face disciplinary action is the species of the animal that I hit...then you have just taken any credibility that you might have had with me and flushed it down the toilet.

I'm sorry, but that is human nature. People dont waste time listening to the boy who cries wolf because they know that he is full of sh%t. Unfortunately, that means that they probably arent going to pay attention even when the wolf is real.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Why doesn't the media ever report on crazy stuff like this.They could call it "Things corporate morons do to justify their job". I have heard some stand up comedians that would have a field day poking fun at what we accept as a normal day at work. It must be embarassing to be in mgmt these days if you have any common sense at all.

soberups

Why doesn't the media ever report on crazy stuff like this.They could call it "Things corporate morons do to justify their job". I have heard some stand up comedians that would have a field day poking fun at what we accept as a normal day at work. It must be embarassing to be in mgmt these days if you have any common sense at all.

You could seriously make a comedy movie about the day-to-day idiocy at my building. It would be a cross between the "Airplane" movies and "Animal House", with a touch of "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" added for some drama.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You could seriously make a comedy movie about the day-to-day idiocy at my building. It would be a cross between the "Airplane" movies and "Animal House", with a touch of "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" added for some drama.
When did you transfer to Watertown? LOL!!

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Re: Yet another animal at work story

When I was cover, was delivering air to a dock and a male cardinal flew into a window HARD. He was mortally wounded but was suffering. I just couldn't bring myself to do what needed to be done. I (stupidly) called oms. He told me to find a cat. Really. I emptied my cooler, put the poor soul in and drove off area <10:30 to a vet who agreed to euthanize him. Drove back to my area, finished my air with nothing late, luckily.

I might have the nads to kill it myself now. If not I'd do the same thing again.

soberups

When I was cover, was delivering air to a dock and a male cardinal flew into a window HARD. He was mortally wounded but was suffering. I just couldn't bring myself to do what needed to be done. I (stupidly) called oms. He told me to find a cat. Really. I emptied my cooler, put the poor soul in and drove off area <10:30 to a vet who agreed to euthanize him. Drove back to my area, finished my air with nothing late, luckily.

I might have the nads to kill it myself now. If not I'd do the same thing again.

For whatever reason, I am the Grim Reaper when it comes to having to euthanize injured animals. In the last 5 years I have come across 2 deer and a dog in my personal vehicle who had been hit by another car and I wound up shooting them. The deer were no big deal but I blubbered and bawled like a baby over the dog. And on another occasion I was working and came across a cat that had been hit and was clearly beyond help. Since I was on the clock I didnt have a gun so I had to euthanize it with a brick. I wound up needing to see a counselor to help me get over that one, and 10 years later I still have nightmares about it even though it was morally the correct thing to do.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

You do exactly what you did.

For whatever reason, I am the Grim Reaper when it comes to having to euthanize injured animals. In the last 5 years I have come across 2 deer and a dog in my personal vehicle who had been hit by another car and I wound up shooting them. The deer were no big deal but I blubbered and bawled like a baby over the dog. And on another occasion I was working and came across a cat that had been hit and was clearly beyond help. Since I was on the clock I didnt have a gun so I had to euthanize it with a brick. I wound up needing to see a counselor to help me get over that one, and 10 years later I still have nightmares about it even though it was morally the correct thing to do.

Remind us not to pass out for any length of time at one of your parties.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
that may be a bit strong though someone did say somethin bout notch's on the steering wheel. There are enough that dont worry about hitting an animal. professional drivers dont hit things .
That is an inaccurate statement if I ever heard one. Professional drivers do hit things. I've had my Class A CDL for nearly 20 years. I have hit 'things' in my personal car as well as my work vehicles. I've hit an elk in a tractor trailer on an icy road in Colorado. I've hit dogs and squirrels and rabbits and a plethora of other non mammalian things. I am a professional driver but I don't take any delight in hitting anything.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

It, quite literally, makes me angry and sad when I see dogs and cats killed on the road. Especially cats. People have no morality when it comes to their pets. We have a neighbor (in our new house) that lets a Border Collie out at night to run. That fricking dog has scared the bejeezus out of me several times cuz it hauls ass out to the car barking its fool head off. I have decided that from now on, when ever the dog comes out I'm going to stop the car and lay on the horn. I don't care what time of night it is.

soberups

Remind us not to pass out for any length of time at one of your parties.

Since I do not drink, or serve alcohol at any gatherings I have....if you pass out you probably deserve whatever happens to you.:happy-very:

soberups

It, quite literally, makes me angry and sad when I see dogs and cats killed on the road. Especially cats. People have no morality when it comes to their pets. We have a neighbor (in our new house) that lets a Border Collie out at night to run. That fricking dog has scared the bejeezus out of me several times cuz it hauls ass out to the car barking its fool head off. I have decided that from now on, when ever the dog comes out I'm going to stop the car and lay on the horn. I don't care what time of night it is.

My opinion is that if a person ever gets cited for failure to keep their animal confined, they shouldnt be able to get off with just a fine. Instead, they should be sentenced to a week of "community service" helping the city/county road crews scrape the dead animals off of the roads so that they can gain an intimate and personal understanding of the potential consequences of their negligence.

I remember reading somewhere about a woman who got cited for animal neglect for leaving her dog in the car with the windows rolled up in the middle of summer. She went to the hearing, the judge found her guilty, and instead of fining her he ordered the court baliff to take her outside to the police parking lot and put her in the back seat of a patrol car with the windows rolled up for 30 minutes. It was July or August, and hot outside. Justice served!

soberups

that may be a bit strong though someone did say somethin bout notch's on the steering wheel. There are enough that dont worry about hitting an animal. professional drivers dont hit things.

Professional drivers maintain control of their vehicle and dont endanger other motorists or pedestrians, even at the cost of hitting things that might run out in the road in front of them.

There is a normal human tendency to want to immediately swerve away from an animal that runs out in the road. A professional driver can overcome this tendency until he is certain that his/her evasive maneuver is safe. A professional driver can also accept the fact that difficult choices must sometimes be made and that hitting the animal is always preferable to hitting an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian.