Your longest back

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So, in the spirit of avoiding backing, what would you estimate was the longest back you ever made?
For me, I'm guessing half a mile. Wintertime, started in on a dry gravel road. Once I got back under the trees, it turned to solid ice. One side of the road was a steep bank uphill. The other side a sharp drop off down into the creek 30 feet below. One lane winding road. Two feet of snow all around. One half hour of daylight left.
Take no chances! Back out nice and slow and steady.

Was covering a ultra rural route and didn't know that the drive was over 5 miles long just to get to the ranch. Also didn't know that it sat on the edge of a plateau on right and rock face on left. No one told me that the drive is impassable without snow machine or 4x4 from September to May. Got about 2 1/4 miles in and found out all the above information for myself. Had to back all the way out.

Next day was priceless, OC told me telematics showed a back that was almost 2.5 miles and at an average speed of 7mph....wanted to know what the heck was going with my truck and why I didn't write up the previous day. Told her it wasn't a truck problem but a redneck problem and explained the stop. I thought her head was going to explode.

Packmule

Was covering a ultra rural route and didn't know that the drive was over 5 miles long just to get to the ranch. Also didn't know that it sat on the edge of a plateau on right and rock face on left. No one told me that the drive is impassable without snow machine or 4x4 from September to May. Got about 2 1/4 miles in and found out all the above information for myself. Had to back all the way out.

Next day was priceless, OC told me telematics showed a back that was almost 2.5 miles and at an average speed of 7mph....wanted to know what the heck was going with my truck and why I didn't write up the previous day. Told her it wasn't a truck problem but a redneck problem and explained the stop. I thought her head was going to explode.
They just don't get it do they?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was taking a 45 foot trailer out to a CPU, got off the interstate and traffic was at a dead stop. Inched along for about 30 minutes til I could see the train sitting motionless on the tracks crossing the road, cops were there turning cars around but the road was divided by a jersey wall (ongoing construction) that went right up to the tracks and cars could get turned around but there was no way you get a tractor trailer through there. Pulled over on the shoulder and walked up to the cop, he told me that a train had clipped the tail end of a big rig crossing the tracks and now it couldn't move until they had inspected every single car for damage a process which would take several hours. In the meantime they had shut down the off ramp from the interstate and as soon as they got all the cars cleared out myself and 2 other rigs would back down the road to the interstate. I had been in feeders about 3 weeks and was happy if I could put a trailer on a bay with only 2 or 3 pull ups, now I had to back a trailer about a mile down the road. That was a long friggin back.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For sure, we're forbidden backing more than 30' at any stop, period.
They can "forbid" whatever they want, but in my case if they wanted me to bring the truck back at night they would have to reevaluate that rule.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We're told to walk it off.
And I would tell them to :censored2: off. I have driveways that are 2 miles long. Back when "stay out of driveways" was the flavor of the week, I just stopped them "driveways" and started referring to them as "private access roads" instead. Problem solved!