You've probably had this happen, so I'll paint the picture.

Marne Vet

I have a daily pickup on a one-way street. For as long as I've been a driver this company has been a UPS pickup. Everyone that lives in the immediate area would obviously know this. Now the dock faces this tight one-way street. I normally have an 800, but a P1000 will fit on this dock too. There is still enough room for vehicles to get by when I'm backed into this dock perpendicular to the street. It's tight, but passable. The ONLY caveat is that it is paramount that no one park directly in front of me when I'm at the dock. It's illegal to do so, and there are two signs and a yellow box painted on the ground to warn drivers not to park there. This "spot" is right at the crest of a corner. Usually when I'm done the pickup I can just drive slight left and up the street that's directly in front of me, but that's not really important.

Today I was at this stop, and after I opened my bulkhead door and walked to the rear of the vehicle, someone had decided to park in front of me and block the entire street. Before the customer could even open the overhead door I hear a guy with a Jamaican accent say "Hey, you have to block the whole street like that? What the friend is wrong with you?!" I peek around the back of the truck and see this guy leaning out of a little black car. I yell back "I'm not blocking the street. The vehicle that's illegally parked in front of me is blocking the street". Guy won't shut up. Keeps yelling at me to move, and dropping friend bomb after friend bomb. I tried to stay focused on getting the stop complete and getting out of there as fast as possible, but it was starting to get to me. I leaned back out and yelled back "Look, it's the car illegally parked in front of me. Why don't you go find him and tell him to move?! I'm not moving until I'm done!" He starts yelling again, but by now I'm finished. I pull away, and have to deliver the street directly in front of me, then circle back around and come down the street that's to the right of this one. One goes up, the other down. When I circle back around the car that was blocking the street and parked illegally was gone. Guess who took his spot? That's right Mon. The idiot that was yelling at me. Now guess who pulls into the dock? FedEx Ground for his pickup there, and he has a bigger truck. I couldn't tell if he hit this jerkoffs car, but I was really hoping so. The street was backing up again and the horns were blowing. haha. Gotta love the ghetto! People are a freaking trip.

Ouch

I believe i had rather del the ghetto than the ritzy parts of town. No kidding i had lady park a lexus at the loading dock as i was backing in, whippedIin right behind me as I was backing. I was honking and backing as I was suppose to. She parked there to run into a boutique that was having a sale. I had a helper so I told him to stand in the back of the truck as I slid the boxes across the hood of her car. She never even knew I did it but man the enjoyment I got out of that pick up lol lol. I had to park beside her to make the pickup so sliding the boxes across her hood was quicker than me walking each box around her car. Some people's children.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Spit out one vulgar word at me during a conversation and you might as well be talking to my tires. I don't cuss at customers during conversations, I expect the same in return. I'm not a dog, your child, your x husband/wife, or your personal whipping boy because someone made your latte wrong.

I commend you for biting your tongue and keeping cool.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I was a swing driver I did my time delivering some routes in the hood. Some people were very nice but for the most part I couldn't wait to get off those routes. Marne, I don't know how you do it but your tales bring back a lot of memories and greater appreciation for my bland semi-suburb/rural route. It may be boring but it's less frustrating.

Future

Victory Ride
I believe i had rather del the ghetto than the ritzy parts of town. No kidding i had lady park a lexus at the loading dock as i was backing in, whippedIin right behind me as I was backing. I was honking and backing as I was suppose to. She parked there to run into a boutique that was having a sale. I had a helper so I told him to stand in the back of the truck as I slid the boxes across the hood of her car. She never even knew I did it but man the enjoyment I got out of that pick up lol lol. I had to park beside her to make the pickup so sliding the boxes across her hood was quicker than me walking each box around her car. Some people's children.
If this is true you are a embarrassment as a driver!

Ouch

[="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1261309, member: 12570"]You slid boxes across the hood of someone's car simply because they parked in the way? I call BS.[/quote]
I dont care what you call I did it so I know it happened. I don't post to try to convince you of anything that has happened during my time at ups. She whipped in behind me while I was backing. It was a little more than just parked in my way. I would have slid them across your hood if you would have done that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I dont care what you call I did it so I know it happened. I don't post to try to convince you of anything that has happened during my time at ups. She whipped in behind me while I was backing. It was a little more than just parked in my way. I would have slid them across your hood if you would have done that.

....and you would have lost your job the moment I finished chewing your boss a new one.....

gman042

Been around the block a few times

You are lucky she did not call that in. If she had done so you would have been charged with an accident for damage to personal property. I can just see that scratches in the paint now. Yeah....she was wrong to do so.....but you are supposed to be the professional.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are lucky she did not call that in. If she had done so you would have been charged with an accident for damage to personal property. I can just see that scratches in the paint now. Yeah....she was wrong to do so.....but you are supposed to be the professional.

He would have been fired on the spot.

oldngray

nowhere special
In bad neighborhoods with 1 way streets and cars parked on both sides the only way to deliver is stop and block traffic for a minute. You can be there 30 seconds and there will be someone behind you honking their horn an yelling at you. Many of those people don't work but are driving around constantly for beer runs or to get lottery tickets. They act like its an emergency and they can't wait when they have nothing important to do. And if they drove without their head in their ass the could see the truck stopped half a block ahead and could have turned at last intersection (stop signs and cross streets every block).

Ouch

That was way early in my career. I guess the young redneck came out in me. I got a little satisfaction out of it though. Lol lol.

Rainman

Its all good.
I delivered the hood my first Christmas. Some of the best people in the world lived there, with just enough younger people who didn't care about you or anyone else to give the place a bad name. The good ones treated me as good or better than anyone on any other route I've ever had.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Did you say paint a picture?
bob_1f09b1_1265029.jpg