Zero Tolerance Stalking Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't in North Dakota are you?
921201203329f85429db2a01fc500dbc94502520165635.jpg

Ya

Returntosender

Have two photobucket accounts. One for personal use, the other for BC/general use. Use fake name for general use do not upload any personal pics on the general account.

brett636

Probably not but it would be appropriate to notify law enforcement of the fact that someone posted a 12 gauge shotgun and shells as a threat. :anxious:

A simple picture isn't a threat. Its just a reminder of what awaits someone behind that front door should someone be foolish enough for force their way past it. :)

rod

Retired 22 years
When I read about stuff like this I'm glad I'm so friggin computer stupid I don't know how to post a picture.

laffter

Some of you may know that a picture of my wife and I was recently posted by another member (Roadrunner2012) in Current Events. This picture was lifted from my Photobucket account. Strange that you have to enter a name and password to get into your own account, but others can see it anyhow...

I would like to thank Cheryl for quickly taking down the picture when I reported it, and putting Roadrunner2012 in the moderation queu. I'd also like to thank Cheryl for helping me secure my Photobucket account.

I took this invasion of my, and especially my wife's privacy too lightly at first. Since then, I have remembered another stalker on Brown Cafe. Some of the more senior members will remember a very highly respected member who was also stalked. His stalker started with posting pictures of the front door of his house and business. Later this stalker used a picture of the members sister as his/her avatar. Creepy stuff when someone posts pictures of your family.

I did not ask then, and do not ask now for Roadrunner2012 to be banned. What's past is past.

But I would like to suggest that from this minute forward, anyone who posts pictures of another member in an attempt to harass or publicly identify them be banned immediately.

Posted for your discussion:

What would YOU like to be done when another member posts a picture of you, your wife or husband, or your children in a way meant to harass or publicly identify you?

I only read your post and not the rest of the thread, so this response is regarding what you've said alone.

I'm going to assume you've realized that entire directories in photobucket can be "public". Also, if your directories are set to private, but you name your images as such: image1.jpg, image2.jpg, etc. And then you post a link to image1... well, anyone can check to see if image2 exists in that directory, and if it does- bingo.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how this qualifies as "stalking", until a person physically travels to your location to take photographs of you and/or your property.

Since this was partially due to technical "ignorance" on your part, it's respectable of you not to demand the banning of this user who posted your picture, but it's petty of him to do so in the first place.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
To answer this question… I think we should not ban them right away. In fact we should secretly moderate them, get IP address then in fact find out where they live and post said nut job's name, address and info. Done, this person will go away forever.
You mean Double Secret Probation?:funny:

over9five

Staff member
Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how this qualifies as "stalking", until a person physically travels to your location to take photographs of you and/or your property.

I think you are using the classic (pre internet) definition of stalking.
Perhaps I should have said "internet stalker" or "cyber stalker". I think if you look up those definitions, you will find that they fit Roadrunner2012 well. Even the mildest definitions say "using the internet to harass people".
Regardless of what we call it, I'd like to think we can all agree it's an aberrant behavior that should be dealt with harshly.

Perhaps I should have said "internet stalker" or "cyber stalker". I think if you look up those definitions, you will find that they fit Roadrunner2012 well. Even the mildest definitions say "using the internet to harass people".
Regardless of what we call it, I'd like to think we can all agree it's an aberrant behavior that should be dealt with harshly.
What was his beef with you about?

gingerkat

No clue. Can't remember the last time I even talked to him.
People like this are the scariest. Cyber stalking is a crime (even though this might not be the case now). It always starts out small and ends up very real. Maybe it's nothing and maybe it's not. Dear Lord Ovah, I hope it's nothing!

laffter

I suppose I don't know the full details of the incident. Harassment is not what I had in mind- as long as posting that single photo is not all you are referring to.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Over freely decided to post those pictures to his Photobucket account for the world to see. He never assumed that anyone would use those pictures in the manner that RR did so he did not think to properly set his privacy settings. There is no excuse for what RR did.

The pictures that we freely decide to post here should be posted without worry that someone will try to use them against you. anonymous and Bubblehead both chose to use my personal pictures as their avatars. While there was no harm done I still felt that these actions crossed the line.
Dave I think your mustache looked great in that photo and you should be happy to show it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.