Zero Tolerance Stalking Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerkat

Anyone that goes to the effort to pull up your photobucket, instagram, Facebook or anything personal and putting it for the world to see is unstable. Anyone that goes that far clearly capable of anything. This just shows that this person has more of an agenda with Ovah.

I'm totally in a huff over this because it's disgusting in every way. Ovah, just don't try to figure this person out though, because you probably will never figure it out.

TUT

My belief is don't use the same name/email on accounts you want to remain anonymous on. Obviously you posted pictures to the internet, many do, Facebook etc. But if people can view your bio here (your choice to do that) and then you use those same credentials elsewhere. It's just simple linking and to me it is more an alert to anyone on the net. You want to cover your bases if you want to stay anonymous. Internet Privacy I think was the Oxymoron of 2013.

I don't consider it stalking, if you believe it is a lot of people maybe stalking you unknowingly. As for posting it here and if they are trying to out you in some way, well I wouldn't do that. As for others.... I guess that is their choice, we are all different. We need to just understand what we are doing out here better if we want to remain hidden.

over9five

Staff member
I suppose I don't know the full details of the incident. Harassment is not what I had in mind- as long as posting that single photo is not all you are referring to.
Why? Are you in favor of letting him post several pictures of my wife before something is done? Why in the world are you defending this freak?

TUT

Anyone that goes to the effort to pull up your photobucket, instagram, Facebook or anything personal and putting it for the world to see is unstable. Anyone that goes that far clearly capable of anything.

Let me see, people use their real name and put stuff on the internet that the whole world can see and they know it. So someone goes and grabs something from there and uses it and if they do that they are capable of anything? I really don't follow that much. I think the best line of action is understand what we each are doing on the internet, what it means and how it all works.

FilingBluesFL

I only read your post and not the rest of the thread, so this response is regarding what you've said alone.

I'm going to assume you've realized that entire directories in photobucket can be "public". Also, if your directories are set to private, but you name your images as such: image1.jpg, image2.jpg, etc. And then you post a link to image1... well, anyone can check to see if image2 exists in that directory, and if it does- bingo.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how this qualifies as "stalking", until a person physically travels to your location to take photographs of you and/or your property.

Since this was partially due to technical "ignorance" on your part, it's respectable of you not to demand the banning of this user who posted your picture, but it's petty of him to do so in the first place.

I've got to agree with this, Ovah. Just because someone found a picture of your wife, in the directory that YOU linked to with another photo, does not really qualify "stalking."

If it was a photograph that they themselves took while they were following you around, then yes, that would qualify as stalking.

You have to remember, once you post ANYTHING. A N Y T H I N G. It is on the internet FOREVER. And ANYONE can find it. Whether you want them to or not.

Hell, with our job, if we find someone we're "interested" in, all we have to do is go home, go to google, and type in their name and address, and a PLETHORA of information will come up about that person. ESPECIALLY if they have a Facebook or any other social media interaction.

laffter

Why? Are you in favor of letting him post several pictures of my wife before something is done? Why in the world are you defending this freak?

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Are you saying that posting a picture that you mistakenly thought was private constitutes harassment?

I don't know if you're aware, but everything you upload to any Internet service is no longer private. Photobucket, Google, Yahoo, YouTube (Google), including anything you type into any (99.999%) search engine will be stored in their respective databases. This includes (public) web-based email communications that one may presume are private. Even if you use seemingly private SMTP servers for your email, that is not enough unless you encrypt your communications- your ISP may be keeping records of their own.

Now, yes, while nothing you put on the Internet is private, nobody you know really has access to it unless they put forth at least some minimal effort, like whats-his-name did.

Let me make myself clear- I am not defending anyone. I don't care about you, I don't care about him. I don't care about most of the people on this forum, just as you don't care about me.

That being said, unless there was something more to it that I'm missing... posting someone's photo isn't harassment, it's :censored2:baggery.

over9five

Staff member
...posting someone's photo isn't harassment, it's :censored2:baggery.
I think we're arguing semantics. I'm happy to call it :censored2:baggery. As I said in an earlier post, I was just hoping we could all agree it was abnormal behavior, and should be punished in a forum such as BC.

FilingBluesFL

It's always not important when it's someone else's family.

There's a reason why the "sensitive" pictures I have are on a desktop that's not hooked up to the internet.

Because it's the only way they are secure, and not accessible by anyone other than the ones in my house, and only if they have the password for it.

If it's something you're that concerned about, keep it far, far away from the internet

laffter

It's always not important when it's someone else's family.

You're right, people mostly look out for themselves and those they care about.

I think we're arguing semantics. I'm happy to call it :censored2:baggery. As I said in an earlier post, I was just hoping we could all agree it was abnormal behavior, and should be punished in a forum such as BC.

He shouldn't have done it. I'm not entirely sure what kind of "punishment" can he given on a forum, though. If he's a regular here... I guess the account could be suspended? If he cares to return holding his current "status", or whatever you want to call it, then he'll wait it out. Otherwise, what's done is done.

If what happened to you happened to me, I'd be mostly upset at myself, as I'm sure you are.

I used to be involved in some illegal activities back in the day. I owed an (online) associate some money, and in a casual conversation regarding it, he mentioned my last name. Names were never mentioned before that. He went through the trouble to find out who I was in an effort to "threaten" me. Nothing ever came of that, but yeah... It sucks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There's a reason why the "sensitive" pictures I have are on a desktop that's not hooked up to the internet.

Because it's the only way they are secure, and not accessible by anyone other than the ones in my house, and only if they have the password for it.

If it's something you're that concerned about, keep it far, far away from the internet
Could just print them out and that would be safer.
Shuffle on over to your typewriter and type a letter.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I used to be involved in some illegal activities back in the day. I owed an (online) associate some money, and in a casual conversation regarding it, he mentioned my last name. Names were never mentioned before. He went through the trouble to find out who I was in an effort to "threaten" me. Nothing ever came of that, but yeah... It sucks.

If he did that on Brown Cafe, he would be "banned" or put into Moderation queue ... probably permanently.

gingerkat

Let me see, people use their real name and put stuff on the internet that the whole world can see and they know it. So someone goes and grabs something from there and uses it and if they do that they are capable of anything? I really don't follow that much. I think the best line of action is understand what we each are doing on the internet, what it means and how it all works.
So let me see if I understand correctly. If you should choose to pay a bill online then you deserve to get your accounts hacked? Or if you get any pictures taken by a photographer and they put everything online (which they do) for all to see, do they deserve to be used in any way that someone wants? Absolutely not. You are definitely walking a fine line with your statements above. Sure we all CAN do what this dipstick did, but we don't…don't you see the difference?

gingerkat

Don't you guys get that it isn't really the picture, but the fact that he/she took the time to dig into someones life to find it and then post it? That is what is scary.

TUT

So let me see if I understand correctly. If you should choose to pay a bill online then you deserve to get your accounts hacked? Or if you get any pictures taken by a photographer and they put everything online (which they do) for all to see, do they deserve to be used in any way that someone wants? Absolutely not. You are definitely walking a fine line with your statements above. Sure we all CAN do what this dipstick did, but we don't…don't you see the difference?

Well lets just go law then. You hack into my bank account (Hack = bypassing security) you are breaking the law. I go grab a picture (No Hack = No Security, Public) you are not breaking the law.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well lets just go law then. You hack into my bank account (Hack = bypassing security) you are breaking the law. I go grab a picture (No Hack = No Security, Public) you are not breaking the law.
You go grab a picture and post on here and you are breaking BC "law".

TUT

Don't you guys get that it isn't really the picture, but the fact that he/she took the time to dig into someones life to find it and then post it? That is what is scary.

Yes, they've been telling us for years about it. People can do that, it isn't illegal, anal? Perhaps. But it seems some are living in pony/rainbowland, when we know people have no problem suing etc. It's like reality hitting fantasy, but no one should have believed in the fantasy.

TUT

You go grab a picture and post on here and you are breaking BC "law".

That's fine. I'm not saying I agree with what happened, but lets not be naive about how these things work. It's not a stalker at all. It's someone doing some digging in public records finding some stuff about you. I have tons of family photo's on the net. The blurred line here is we want to believe we are anonymous, well then don't use like emails or usernames. otherwise you really aren't and if someone hacked BC, then who knows... Or in some members bio's here, they still have info that I can see, that narrows their location and position, 2+2. One may or may not care, if you care and it's there, it's your bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.