2012 Summer Olympics

texan

Serena Williams (center, R) and her sister Venus Williams, of the U.S., stand on the podium with their gold medals
during the presentation ceremony for the women's doubles tennis at the All England Lawn Tennis Club during the
London 2012 Olympic Games August 5, 2012.
21r.jpg

texan

Kenya's Ezekiel Kemboi reacts on the track after winning the gold medal in the men's 3000m steeplechase
final during the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium August 5, 2012.
JOr.jpg

klein

Für Meno :)
Canada - USA going into extra time while being tied 3:3.

btw, Canada hasn't won against the USA in the past 26 match-ups.

klein

Well, US wins the game in stoppage time and extra time (almost 3 minutes after extra time was played).

Was thinking it will go to penalty kicks, but it was a very last second goal that decided this game.

Final was 4:3 USA, with very questionable referee decisions.
(free kick that should have never been given as well as a penalty shot that was uncalled for, and many corner kicks that shouldn't have been given to the disadvantage of the Canadian team).

texan

Well, US wins the game in stoppage time and extra time (almost 3 minutes after extra time was played).

Was thinking it will go to penalty kicks, but it was a very last second goal that decided this game.

At least it went to the wire and your team did very well taking it to that point.

texan

I wish he was US, but who can deny this man as the greatest 100 meter sprinter ever.
Usain Bolt sets Olympic record in men's 100-meter.

Pulling away from the pack with every long stride, Bolt surged after his typical lumbering break
from the blocks and overwhelmed a star-studded field to win in 9.63 seconds Sunday night, the
second-fastest 100 in history and an Olympic record that let him join Carl Lewis as the only men
with consecutive gold medals in the Summer Games' marquee track event.
Usain_Bolt_149861205_620x350.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33747_1...s-olympic-record-in-mens-100-meter/?tag=strip

klein

(re; soccer) All of those unfair refs, I'm sure !!!

These are just the first reactions, they will come up with vids soon.

Norwegian refree Christiana Pedersen has had better nights. You’d hope …
She chose to ignore a clear hand ball inside the box on American midfielder Megan Rapinoe and then gave a controversial delay-of-game free kick against McLeod, taken just inside the Canadian area, that led to a very controversial hand ball and a penalty shot for the 3-3 tie.

The free kick was called – believe it or not – for delay-of-game on McLeod. It was, quite frankly, an unbelievable call.

texan

These are just the first reactions, they will come up with vids soon.

I feel the same way about the calls of the judges in boxing.

Some funny scores from them. Sorry I just can not, like most older Americans, watch soccer.
Our culture, what can you say? It does not make us wrong, just Americans.

There are some that do, and I have no problem with it.

But generally, we are not a big soccer loving country.

klein

I feel the same way about the calls of the judges in boxing.

Some funny scores from them. Sorry I just can not, like most older Americans, watch soccer.
Our culture, what can you say? It does not make us wrong, just Americans.

There are some that do, and I have no problem with it.

But generally, we are not a big soccer loving country.

That's too bad, because it sure looks like the US womens soccer team will win gold now and besides they are ranked #1 in the world, too !

And yes, soccer is one of those sports where only the referee decides the game - no replays, reviews, nadda.
They should have reviews before rewarding a penalty kick that is 95% of the time a goal, or even free kicks that are near the 16 meter box.

klein

Most support them and like their medal, but to watch for 90 minutes plus.

See, I can't watch football or baseball. They have too many breaks, stoppage time, and tons of commercials.
Soccer goes non-stop , without any commercials. They play and run the entire game.

Hockey and soccer for me only.
Fast paced and ongoing !

klein

delpopolo.jpg

U.S. athlete expelled, blames baked goods
An embarrassed Nick Delpopolo says he knows why he tested positive for a banned substance. His explanation

klein

Klein, not trying to rub it in, but it looks like Canada is not doing too well in the Olympics , based on the medal count. From what I researched, it looks like Canada has one gold medal while US has 26. Is this due to Canada being a winter sports country?

Okay, I just saw Moreluck's post and googled that gold medal for Canada . Trampoline???? What other sports are in the olympics that I don't know about ? - Hopscotch, Jump rope????

Okay, Sorry, but now I am rubbing it in

Have you ever looked at the true stats of medal counts.
I must admit, the US as the fattest nation worldwide, isn't doing as bad as China !

USA is ranked 42nd :

Grenada is first ranked with 1 gold and 1 medal per 110.000 population, follwed by NZ with 10 medals and 4.4 million population, with 1 medal per 440.000.

Olympic Medals per Capita