25 year old wanting to join UPS and make a career

okay so i graduated from college and did not enjoy it and cant find a decent job that will pay well and want to be in. the union but i have. some questions and concerns if anyone can answer.
1) how is the pay as a full timer and how much can you make per hour without over time?
2) how much can you make with. over time?
3) what is the work week like and what. are the hours?
4). how are benefits an vacation time?
5) is ups worth the commitment would they ever go away within like 5-10 years?
6) how long does it take to go from part time to full time?
7) since i have a degree and i was a driver for certain amount of years can i. move up to ups management?

You have a degree Go start your career somewhere else
Because you're going to get hired as a part-timer more than likely
And if and when you do get a chance to drive and can cut the mustard it's going to be a while before you make some real money

P.S.

Don't go into management

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Keep in mind that if you stay there too long you'll be pigeonholed, as the work experience you gain there will be absolutely worthless. I'd suggest saving all the money you make until you're absolutely sure you're ready to do that the rest of your life. Then you can use it to get out and train for something better if you change your mind.

Keep in mind that if you stay there too long you'll be pigeonholed, as the work experience you gain there will be absolutely worthless. I'd suggest saving all the money you make until you're absolutely sure you're ready to do that the rest of your life. Then you can use it to get out and train for something better if you change your mind.
well wtf can i do im not good at anything im to dumb and do i just go into more debt for no reason?!

sailfish

well wtf can i do im not good at anything im to dumb and do i just go into more debt for no reason?!
I meant it's alright to try UPS but save all the money you make there. Don't waste it on big black jacked up trucks and all the other bull:censored2: right out the gate. If you end up being able to bear the job enough to know you're alright doing it the rest of your life, then you're good to go. But if you decide it's not, at least you'll have a lot of money saved to go learn a technical skill or something with no debt.

yeah but im not handy im not smart its :censored2:ed up but true im not really meant to be happy or do anything meangingfull because of all these downfalls im not born mechanically inclined and im alreeady 25 and getting to old

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
okay so i graduated from college and did not enjoy it and cant find a decent job that will pay well and want to be in. the union but i have. some questions and concerns if anyone can answer.
1) how is the pay as a full timer and how much can you make per hour without over time?
2) how much can you make with. over time?
3) what is the work week like and what. are the hours?
4). how are benefits an vacation time?
5) is ups worth the commitment would they ever go away within like 5-10 years?
6) how long does it take to go from part time to full time?
7) since i have a degree and i was a driver for certain amount of years can i. move up to ups management?
UPS is the best job out there , TOP NOTCH PAY AND HEALTHCARE.. FORGET QUESTION #7
🧔✊

sailfish

yeah but im not handy im not smart its *ed up but true im not really meant to be happy or do anything meangingfull because of all these downfalls im not born mechanically inclined and im alreeady 25 and getting to old
Well, then yeah. This might be one of your few shots. Mechanical inclination can be developed though.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
yeah but im not handy im not smart its *ed up but true im not really meant to be happy or do anything meangingfull because of all these downfalls im not born mechanically inclined and im alreeady 25 and getting to old
What do you have a passion for, what do you like to do? Certainly there is something you are ok at. UPS is a wonderful career, though it has its pitfalls like anywhere else. There is meaningful work out there, from garbage collector to pilot, surgeon, whatever. Knowing yourself, your interests, skills, will lead you into a position that will utilize what's already inside you. Know yourself and have confidence in your ability. What you want out of life, go get it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

1613233483805.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Whither

Scofflaw
Go for it, you've got nothing to lose. Just be aware that even if you are able to go driving soon and you qualify, it usually takes time and some harsh experience to settle in and get comfortable doing the job. You very likely will feel overwhelmed for a while, but if you adapt, work safely, learn the union book -- and, depending on what supplement you fall under, if you can handle working Mon-Sat for a long time (it is wretched) you will be making good money, and much better in 4 years time.

I'm happy for people who feel they have moved on from UPS to bigger and better things, but I also think it's laughable when they stick around here after quitting and gloat about it. I like driving much better than working in restaurants. Yet I feel no need to tell old coworkers their jobs are worthless, terrible, and that they should 'make something' of their lives or get 'a real skill'. At the end of the day all types of work -- even work you like/doesn't make you miserable and pays well -- will remind you, it's still work.

Go for it, you've got nothing to lose. Just be aware that even if you are able to go driving soon and you qualify, it usually takes time and some harsh experience to settle in and get comfortable doing the job. You very likely will feel overwhelmed for a while, but if you adapt, work safely, learn the union book -- and, depending on what supplement you fall under, if you can handle working Mon-Sat for a long time (it is wretched) you will be making good money, and much better in 4 years time.

I'm happy for people who feel they have moved on from UPS to bigger and better things, but I also think it's laughable when they stick around here after quitting and gloat about it. I like driving much better than working in restaurants. Yet I feel no need to tell old coworkers their jobs are worthless, terrible, and that they should 'make something' of their lives or get 'a real skill'. At the end of the day all types of work -- even work you like/doesn't make you miserable and pays well -- will remind you, it's still work.
ohh wow thats long hours and days damnn i respect you and ups more for that at least, but tbh i like the physical labor and doing something for a comoany and working hard and geting rewarded for it. it feels satisfying and good to me. i also like the pay and i love the benefits thats pretty much the big reason im doing it as well and i want to move away from where i live to denver colorado