3 days out sick

Johney

Of course there are procedures. Never said there wasn't. Wouldn't he just need to contact the company and get the ball rolling? Is there any reason why he couldn't take time off and be covered under FMLA?
99.9% of the time to get FMLA you have to file before hand. The OP can try and file after the fact but it's usually for something other than the flu. There really isn't much to worry about unless the OP has an attendance problem. What's he gonna get a warning letter for being sick? So what. If he does next time come in and puke or crap all over your center manager's desk and tell him you will go out and do your best on-road, but if you feel too bad you may have to bring the load back. He really doesn't want that now does he?

STFXG

Right, when foreseeable it requires 30 days notice. When not, it requires notice as soon as possible. And it covers taking time off to care for an immediate family member with a serious health issue (bronchitis being treated with antibiotics falls in to this category).

What EXACTY am I missing? Go ahead BUG. Fitting name since one obviously crawled up your ass.

Johney

When the need for leave is foreseeable, an employee must give the employer at least 30 days notice, or as much notice as is practicable. When the leave is not foreseeable, the employee must provide notice as soon as practicable in the particular circumstances. An employee must comply with the employer�s usual and customary notice and procedural requirements for requesting leave, absent unusual circumstances. In requesting leave an employee must provide sufficient information for the employer to reasonably determine whether the FMLA may apply to the leave request. When the employee seeks leave for a qualifying reason for which the employer has previously provided the employee FMLA-protected leave, the employee must specifically reference the qualifying reason for the leave or the need for FMLA leave.

I think this is the point we all need to know. What is UPS's policy regarding leave of absence. As far as I know you need 30 days notice for leave of absence for anything unless it's disability(non-work related injury or long term illness). Like i said before he can try and file for FMLA after the fact, but I don't think it will cover his previous time off maybe future time off.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This isn't retroactive. This is currently going on. They are still being treated for bronchitis and ear infections which are legitimate reasons to take time off and are covered under FMLA. He would just need to notify the company and start whatever paperwork they have for him. Unless I'm misunderstanding something... Which is very possible.
I would apply for the FMLA, any chronic illness with a child X3 such as bronchitis, (had one of those) will be an ongoing illness. Also apply for the intermittent part. If your doc is familiar with the FMLA, it is the best feature. No crap when you need to be off.

A

anonymous6

had a discussion one time with a supe about why i was taking an occasional sick day ( had plenty ) to take my wife for dr appts after she had a stoke.

he told me that in the future i would have to make a choice between my wife or the company. i replied that it was a "no brainer" and then walked out of the office.

that supe no longer works for the co.

btw bug, that's another true story.

OptimusPrime

Just got back from the Dr. office. He wrote the note to excuse me for today and said I could return Friday. Yes my Center manager is an a-hole. He musta said something cause the union steward called and told me I should try to get a note. The driver sups are cool and didn't seem to care about the note. I'm guessing I'll get some crap since I've had the center manager on my butt since last week when I handed in a grievance to protest a warning letter. I'm a swing driver and covered a route that delivered to a game stop. I don't cover this route hardly ever. I had no clue gamestop was a SADR national account that had to be delivered by noon. The DIAD has no prompt informing me of this either. Ever since I protested the letter, well you know they have a lot more to say to me than before. Everything from my uniform to overallowed.

Have zero idea why that account has a national noon commit. We don't deliver their time sensitive stuff. Basically new games that come out on Tuesdays. It's usually Skylanders(crappy game/figure line if you ask me) and signage.

AKCoverMan

Have zero idea why that account has a national noon commit. We don't deliver their time sensitive stuff. Basically new games that come out on Tuesdays. It's usually Skylanders(crappy game/figure line if you ask me) and signage.

I see a lot of their store-to-store inventory transfers here. Still dosen't seem that time sensitive. We have four Gamestops delivered out of my center. We are told that the commit here is 1630.. in contrast our normal NDA commit is noon not 1030.

brownboxman

Well here in Oregon if your kids are sick you use FMLA, so no occurence there, the only occurence would be when you call in yourself

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They are still being treated for bronchitis and ear infections which are legitimate reasons to take time off and are covered under FMLA.

Common illnesses are not covered under FMLA.

You just don't get FMLA there are procedures you have to follow.

Correct. You have to apply for FMLA. It takes a couple weeks for that to happen.

Wouldn't he just need to contact the company and get the ball rolling? Is there any reason why he couldn't take time off and be covered under FMLA?

It is going to involve applying, and then waiting for approval.

99.9% of the time to get FMLA you have to file before hand. The OP can try and file after the fact but it's usually for something other than the flu.
Correct.

Right, when foreseeable it requires 30 days notice. When not, it requires notice as soon as possible. What EXACTY am I missing?
It sounds like you are confusing a "leave of absence" with FMLA.

had a discussion one time with a supe about why i was taking an occasional sick day ( had plenty ) to take my wife for dr appts after she had a stoke. btw bug, that's another true story.

Hope your wife is OK. A situation like that.... is what FMLA is for.

{the other story.... sounds impossible}

Shouldn't the paper trail created by all the Dr and ER visits be enough?

No. A person has to apply.... and be approved for a "qualifying" condition.

Over the years, FMLA has been gutted by big company's.... who where complaining what an undue hardship it created.

That, was the result.... of abuse.

-Bug-

Box_Junkie

Took the Dr. note in and they counted the 3 days out as 1. Worked today so I recouped some lost funds, gotta love double time on a holiday!