3 Things

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not necessary but very advantageous. Lets you understand where things might be in your truck cuz you get to understand the science of loading a truck, not just unloading. If you are a good loader, there is a science. I am not talking about PAL's, either. I learned to load the real way. By load charts.
Personally, I think a driver needs to start in the feeder for one year, out to loading for another before they can touch a truck.

How does unloading a feeder or loading a package car give you an advantage when delivering packages? This is even more true with PAS/EDD. The shelves are labeled, the packages are labeled, package counts are provided, the stops are in order in the DIAD--we are not talking rocket science here. I have already conceded that new drivers who work in the hub before going on road will have a greater insight in to how hard these kids work for how little they are paid but as far as there being any advantages beyond that I just don't see them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Simple. You see the processes that create your workload. I wasn't putting down anyone who doesn't start this way. I just believe that the CEO all the way down through should start in the feeder. Just my belief. You see how hard it is. I realize you appreciate how hard they work. Which is nice to hear, considering some of my own co-workers don't understand this. I believe it is especially important for any preload supervisor to have had to work the sort for a year before being promoted. It might lessen the I-am-better-than-them attitude I have seen from the ones who can't do the job they are supervising.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
8. Bring 250 missed stops back to the building at 10:30 at night and have your center manager tell you to unload them without recording them. No longer possible with package-level detail, but commonplace back in the 80's and early 90's.

How does unloading a feeder or loading a package car give you an advantage when delivering packages? This is even more true with PAS/EDD. The shelves are labeled, the packages are labeled, package counts are provided, the stops are in order in the DIAD--we are not talking rocket science here. I have already conceded that new drivers who work in the hub before going on road will have a greater insight in to how hard these kids work for how little they are paid but as far as there being any advantages beyond that I just don't see them.
Maybe it's about paying your dues as a part-timer before getting to go full-time. Some people wait ten plus years. This causes some people to not have as much respect for an off the street hire. When I was part-time I did every job and worked every shift. We are talking preload twilight night sort less than eight air driver sat air. Being around these many operations gave me a vast knowledge of ups as well as the teamsters and management that I became familiar with. When I became a driver I knew alot more than most and caused me to discount you off the street hires a little. Maybe this will shed some light for you Dave.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In some centers, people HAVE to wait ten plus years to go full-time because the center is so small. We have less than 30 routes(now, use to be more when we were allowed to have a life), so there are not a lot of slots. Add in your 5-1 or 6-1 street meat and guess what you get?
Stuck at part-time.

over9five

Staff member
In some centers, people HAVE to wait ten plus years to go full-time because the center is so small. We have less than 30 routes(now, use to be more when we were allowed to have a life), so there are not a lot of slots. Add in your 5-1 or 6-1 street meat and guess what you get?
Stuck at part-time.

Not really stuck. You could go get a FT job elsewhere, if that's what you wanted.

How can anyone afford to wait 10 years??? Why would anyone do that? I know good jobs are hard to come by, but if you can't find one in 10 years....

Not really stuck. You could go get a FT job elsewhere, if that's what you wanted.

How can anyone afford to wait 10 years??? Why would anyone do that? I know good jobs are hard to come by, but if you can't find one in 10 years....
When I was a part-timer I worked a couple different jobs elsewhere. Some were pretty fun and they gave me the extra added incentive to stick it out at ups. Working two jobs helped me buy my first home at the age of 21. Thanks ups

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe it's about paying your dues as a part-timer before getting to go full-time. Some people wait ten plus years. This causes some people to not have as much respect for an off the street hire. When I was part-time I did every job and worked every shift. We are talking preload twilight night sort less than eight air driver sat air. Being around these many operations gave me a vast knowledge of ups as well as the teamsters and management that I became familiar with. When I became a driver I knew alot more than most and caused me to discount you off the street hires a little. Maybe this will shed some light for you Dave.

To be blunt I couldn't care less what anyone's impression of me was when I was hired off the street to drive a pkg car. My only responsibility was to my family. I certainly didn't need to unload a trailer or load a pkg car to learn how to deliver pkgs.

washington57

what you have to remember about the off the street hires is that they are prob pretty competent individuals to even get the job. not an easy interview process.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

UPS acutally perfers preloaders to drive, but are unwilling to give any of them up. Preload works inside and around cars, knows and understand what goes into the load itself. Load knowledge, is what they would call it. Plus preload walks a ton, which driving is alot of as well. I often hear new drivers complain that their legs are so sore, then learning they came from debag, small sort, audits and re wrap. No wonder your sore you hardly walk and got it good where you are. No wonder you spent the last 10 - 12 years where your at.

But yea, theres a lot more that goes into it. Such as knowing area by areas. Whenever theres docks or cart load ups.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I started as an off the street summer hire along with 2 part-timers moved into driving. One got dis-qualified for an accident and the other just couldn't cut it. I'm still driving. Not once have I ever felt I was considered any less of a driver because I came in off the street. I probably came in with a better attitude because I didn't know how aggravating the company can be to work for.