8/15/13 PCM

1080Driver

Our PCM this morning made no mention of yesterdays tragic plane crash and the loss of our 2 pilots. Nothing. No moment of silence. Nothing. We reviewed the 8 Keys to Lifting and Lowering.
​Was it the same all over? Lets pretend it didn't happen? Its disgraceful if you ask me.

Although I think that is a damn shame and, since you took the time to post about it on BC, did you take the time to mention it to the person who gave the pcm?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not for nothing...i'm sorry two of our brothers were killed...but we've had employees in our building die, and the most management does is post the obituary and wake times so we can pay our respects. So, do I think my center manager is going to bring up the plane crash?? No.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It was mentioned Yesterday at the PCM by both the center manager and an On Road Supervisor. Both were very respectful,and even went so far as to say at the end of the day We are all UPS'ers with families,and to keep the Pilots' famlies in our thoughts . I'll give credit where it is due I was impressed with the way they addressed it

over9five

Staff member
Serious question:

People die on the job at UPS all the time. Should every death be mentioned at PCMs countrywide for all of them?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When people die in our building or familes of the employees, they have been pretty good as of late, mentioning it, calling hrs, etc. To me this is big. I feel it should have been mentioned, and wasn't.
Our pcm was all about a rollover because some yahoo put 50 70 pdrs on top shelves, . Somehow he thought that would center the car as far as gravity? Yes some of us are dumb truck drivers.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Warning: this will sound a bit cold, but.....

I realize it just happened yesterday, but I would say it's better to move on than to dwell on what happened yesterday. I believe this about every aspect in life.

​"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." - Buddha

FilingBluesFL

The only thing mentioned at our PCM was whether or not we did our DIAD training, and I was asked if I was going to make 9.5...

Typical.

balland chain

It just seems many here are upset because the company said nothing about the tragic deaths of the two pilots.
I wonder if they'd be upset if some loader in East Buttlick, North Dakota had died on the job and not been mentioned at the PCM.

Most likely not.. We lost a package driver last week, and not much said about that last week. I suppose it is due to the media attention..Reading the news stories and watching news videos all over the internet bring this to the forefront. It is sad when any UPSer dies on the job and if the company would acknowledge these hard working men and women maybe, just maybe we would feel differently about the company we work for..

We hear about accidents that took place, sometimes in different states. Even when the UPS driver did nothing wrong and could not possibly have avoided said accident, we spend time listening to endless blather about it. Why not show a little respect for those who lost their lives?