8 hour requests are a joke here.

OPTION3

That's just it, I put in the request on their form 5 or more calendar days in advance in either get denied or forget about it.

When I did get denied (verbally) due to manning or some other BS excuse I went to my steward and he basically told me there was nothing that could be done about it.

Is the verbiage different in this most recent contract?

-

I put in a request last Friday for this Friday for the hell of it and when I asked about it this morning my center manager said "you're on the board" whatever that means, no signed request form as the contract suggests.
If the request is not signed and returned.....It is APPROVED...the steward who signed off on the request is proof it was turned in....FILE...FILE...FILE.....$$$$...$$$$...$$$$

OPTION3

-If they don't provide forms,make sure you still request in writing.
-If you don't get a copy of your request, have a 2nd driver witness you handing it to the supervisor. They have a tendency to "lose" ours as well.
-If you are in the Central...
-Let them know in the morning (in front of others) of your 8 hour day...that you won't be getting it done, and you will need to bring back stops.
-Let them know via Diad texts during your day how many you will be bringing back. Don't let them pressure you!
-Call your B.A. at the Union and let him know you plan on bringing the stops back and that you have told your center manager.
-Bring them back, sheet as missed, and enjoy your evening.
Our steward has to sign off and hand in requests...management returns them within 24 hours.......This only happened through the grievance procedure

9.5er

We don't have a form for 8 hr request or vacation days. We do use a personal holiday form. I just scratch out "personal" and write in 8 hr or vacation. Then we put it on the board. No one else has to witness or sign it. Sup signs them off at the end of the week.
I guess we use the honor system. Yes, I have seen times that drivers have cheated the system and posted their day too late.

OPTION3

We don't have a form for 8 hr request or vacation days. We do use a personal holiday form. I just scratch out "personal" and write in 8 hr or vacation. Then we put it on the board. No one else has to witness or sign it. Sup signs them off at the end of the week.
I guess we use the honor system. Yes, I have seen times that drivers have cheated the system and posted their day too late.
Honor system......thats a knee slapper.....with a company that REGULARLY cheats employees on payroll.....thats funny

By The Book

We have a form(8 hour request) that we use. I have pinned up a manilla envelope cut down so these forms stick out the top so drivers can take home and copy some off. This is on the union board. Most guys follow the 5 day prior to shift rule but occasionally they are approved with less notice. These drivers are not cheating the system. There is language that talks about ten percent off on any given day outside of peak time. Seniority will be the governing factor. If used correctly there could be 3 guys in the same loop who have 8 hour requests on the same day.

OPTION3

They both will work, however having a system in place that is understood by the drivers does make it easier.
But that “system’ won’t allow guys like UPSTATE to go in and do some under-the-desk work...to get his way. Thats why guys who subvert/submarine the contract HATE it so

OPTION3

We have 1 driver who had 18 of his 20 “8 hour” requests violated[he was dispatched with 9.5 days]...How’s THAT for HONOR? At least he made MAD penalty money.

OPTION3

I had the same thing happen,a few years back.

Guess what? I havent been close since!

Dont be afraid to file!
Oh...he filed and won each one......Sometimes I think people do not know what it is like to work in a truly “Hostile” center...One where management does everything possible to make the environment as unpleasant as possible. I couldn’t care less, I Just wish they would follow the contract...plain and simple.

OPTION3

I love sitting in grievance hearings.....listening to the same center manager beg for the employee to work with him.....on a problem that he refuses to fix.....cracks me up