8years with the company I got fired for marijuana use

Boston25

@sandwich

We had this situation play out twice at my building.

Chick walks in drunk. Clocks in. Shes loud and vulgar and they terminate her on the spot pretty much.

Dude walks in drunk. Fellow co-workers notice and tell him not to clock. He's advised to tell a supervisor or main boss that he Has a problem and needs help. He kept his job.

The property angle isn't so important as being punched in.

----
A few guys got caught going to their cars to smoke weed while punched in, and during their break. They all got terminated.

Now a boss could suspect youre high or drunk if you two happen to walk in together. But it's all about the punch. Each and every time

The third angle is right as you clock out and start your car and your still on the property, and they catch you? That's a bit vague.

So OP, Were you clocked in and got caught smoking? Or you smelled? Or were you walking in to punch in and they suspected it? Overall. Not looking good.

We have had 2 employees drink and smoke weed before the shift clocked in and worked both got fired. They both went through the program and 1 of the 2 has been fired numerous times for being drunk on the clock and still works here. But he finally got his :censored2: together and stayed sober. I guess every building is different.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
We have had 2 employees drink and smoke weed before the shift clocked in and worked both got fired. They both went through the program and 1 of the 2 has been fired numerous times for being drunk on the clock and still works here. But he finally got his :censored2: together and stayed sober. I guess every building is different.
That’s because your local is strong. Not everybody has that luxury.

every locals results will vary. But your experience seems a bit more unusual.

El Correcto

god is dead
UPS fired me for consuming marijuana before I went in to work. It was in property. I stated I was dealing with an addiction and needed help. Despite rumors of “potheads” I have management and co workers who know and will attest to me being a very hard worker, a team player, always with a smile and good attitude always willing to help, and over all a good person. They stated even with a grievance hearing they would not accept me back. Anyone ever been in this situation before how’d it turn out my union rep says it’s not for sure but he/she is sure they can get my job back but that it was going to take time. Any advice other then I have already quit using and am looking into MA classes for help with my addiction
Why does UPS always fire the hardworking good employees?
Thoughts and prayers.

Boston25

That’s because your local is strong. Not everybody has that luxury.

every locals results will vary. But your experience seems a bit more unusual.
That’s true but I would believe that under Article 16 there would be a possibility he could get his job back. But who knows?

Boston25

UPS fired me for consuming marijuana before I went in to work. It was in property. I stated I was dealing with an addiction and needed help. Despite rumors of “potheads” I have management and co workers who know and will attest to me being a very hard worker, a team player, always with a smile and good attitude always willing to help, and over all a good person. They stated even with a grievance hearing they would not accept me back. Anyone ever been in this situation before how’d it turn out my union rep says it’s not for sure but he/she is sure they can get my job back but that it was going to take time. Any advice other then I have already quit using and am looking into MA classes for help with my addiction
I know you already answered the question but I’m too lazy to go back and look but when they tested you did you tell them you wanted to seek treatment? You have to be willing to make that commitment to quit because if and only if you do come back they will test you randomly to make sure you’re still sober.

quad decade guy

A DUI in my building gets you a broom and a job in Porters for up to a year.

For feeders, it's a year of shifting. My friend has done it twice. BTW-we had a feeder driver work for a year before the company found out about his DUI. It's been a few years back before internet and computers. I don't know how he pulled it off or the ramifications but he retired when he wanted to.

Method Mensch

Well, unfortunately, maybe too late for you, but just an angle on all this. As best as I can tell, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, in the contract that compells you to submit to any drug or alcohol test. I've had a Center Manager tell this to me and small group of older guys. He suggested that if anyone knew they were going to be asked to be tested and also knew that they would likely test positive to absolutely not submit to the testing. No matter what they threaten you with, if you simply punch out, notify your BA and go home, you'll likely live to fight another day. If you think you'll be ambushed in the building, punch out in the yard somewhere and just leave your DIAD in your package car and get the hell off the property and home.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
No. really depends on how Hardcore the BA is.

We had/have a BA that doesn't take :censored2: from the company. he gets jobs back in 99% of cases.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As best as I can tell, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, in the contract that compells you to submit to any drug or alcohol test.

What.... ?

Have you ever read the contract ?

Section 3.8 Reasonable Cause Testing

"Upon reasonable cause, UPS will require an employee to be tested for the use of controlled substances."

Section 3.13 Disciplinary Action

b. "Refusal to submit to a reasonable cause drug test is a dischargeable offense."

That has to be the dumbest :censored2: I've ever heard.

-Bug-

What.... ?

Have you ever read the contract ?

Section 3.8 Reasonable Cause Testing

"Upon reasonable cause, UPS will require an employee to be tested for the use of controlled substances."

Section 3.13 Disciplinary Action

b. "Refusal to submit to a reasonable cause drug test is a dischargeable offense."

That has to be the dumbest :censored2: I've ever heard.

-Bug-
It's just like a cop pulling over for a DUI if you refuse to test your automatically guilty

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's just like a cop pulling over for a DUI if you refuse to test your automatically guilty

DUI is a different story, and penalties depend on state law.

Here, you refuse the test and then plead guilty.

Your license is only suspended for 6 months, instead of a year.

(that's what all the judges and lawyers do when they get popped)

:biggrin:

Plus, you get generous driving privileges for work.

Some states, if you refuse.... they can force a blood draw.

Either way, a UPS driver is going in for an evaluation and possible rehab.

It all depends on the evaluation by the SAP, and review by the MRO.

If you are a driver.... think, before you drink and drive.

Smoking dope on the company property and going in to work ? The OP is toast.

There is no financial incentive, for the company to work with him.

-Bug-

DUI is a different story, and penalties depend on state law.

Here, you refuse the test and then plead guilty.

Your license is only suspended for 6 months, instead of a year.

(that's what all the judges and lawyers do when they get popped)

:biggrin:

Plus, you get generous driving privileges for work.

Some states, if you refuse.... they can force a blood draw.

Either way, a UPS driver is going in for an evaluation and possible rehab.

It all depends on the evaluation by the SAP, and review by the MRO.

If you are a driver.... think, before you drink and drive.

Smoking dope on the company property and going in to work ? The OP is toast.

There is no financial incentive, for the company to work with him.

-Bug-
I agree with you 100%

rod

Retired 22 years
Consuming on property is contractual language.

if that guy who was drunk, drank a beer on property he would have been terminated on the spot. Before punching in or not.

My whole center would have been fired if thats the case--including a couple of Center Managers. In the summer after work someone always had a few beers on ice stashed in their pickup.