A/C Petition

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think the most feasible option would be to install fans in the trucks, some of them are already equipped with them.
It's actually interesting that you mention that. I was doing a truck check before locking up tonight and for some reason I noticed the fans. It seemed like many of our "middle aged" trucks had them, but none of the oldest ones, and none of the newer ones. Strange..

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
A/C in a package car as they are built right now would be useless, its an enclosed almost fully metal box with the sun beating down on it and barely any insulation. It would be like when you jump in your car on a 100 degree day after its been sitting out on the lot for hours and turn on the a/c, it would constantly be recirculating and trying to cool down 130+ degree air and even if it brought down a few degrees it would leak right out the truck because its not insulated at all, then theres cost.

otizanig

Well if we push the argument for A/C which I don't think will ever happen, maybe we can at least settle for fans in driver and cargo area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A/C in a package car as they are built right now would be useless, its an enclosed almost fully metal box with the sun beating down on it and barely any insulation. It would be like when you jump in your car on a 100 degree day after its been sitting out on the lot for hours and turn on the a/c, it would constantly be recirculating and trying to cool down 130+ degree air and even if it brought down a few degrees it would leak right out the truck because its not insulated at all, then theres cost.

I crack my windows an inch or so when I park and lower them completely for the first few minutes of my drive home before closing them and turning on the AC.

DOK

There is no technologically feasible way to effectively air condition a package car short of installing a refrigeration unit on the roof.

A more realistic solution would be contract language that imposed a "hard cap" on hours that drivers could be forced to work on days when the heat index reached a certain point.

Dunno, FedEx home and ground have a/c.

mrbrownstone

I believe FEDEX package cars have a/c also.

Yes they do. I have a neighbor that delivers Fedex Home Delivery and her package car has ac.

Then again she works for an independent contractor so the same bs that applies to us doesn't apply to her. Her package car is also equipped with a radio and she can leave the bulkhead door open all day.

Hell, Fedex has so many less rules since they are subcontracted (the home package division) I have considered taking a benefits and pay cut to work for them.

I have yet to encounter a stressed out Fedex driver due to work overload. They don't get slammed by management for parking in the wrong spot, not backing 1st and so forth.

Sorry for the rant. It just seems like the type of job you can go out and do without harassment.

DOK

Yes they do. I have a neighbor that delivers Fedex Home Delivery and her package car has ac.

Then again she works for an independent contractor so the same bs that applies to us doesn't apply to her. Her package car is also equipped with a radio and she can leave the bulkhead door open all day.

Hell, Fedex has so many less rules since they are subcontracted (the home package division) I have considered taking a benefits and pay cut to work for them.

I have yet to encounter a stressed out Fedex driver due to work overload. They don't get slammed by management for parking in the wrong spot, not backing 1st and so forth.

Sorry for the rant. It just seems like the type of job you can go out and do without harassment.

And also leave the truck running while at a stop, which would help the a/c thing.

Dr.Brownz

A petition isn't going to change anything. It will never happen.

It will only help if the media takes hold of it and does lots of smear stories. But that wont happen because UPS has its fingers in the media also. I just read an atricle last week that highlighted the downsides of lazership (a company that is taking volume from Amazon) but that same article casually mentioned UPS twice in a positive light.