A Long Hard Road

DS

Fenderbender
What if UPS is my dream job? I am going through the 'sweat and blood to achieve my dreams'. I cannot comprehend the constant whining of manual labor. The ultimate dream is to attain the least physical career?

Your post emits this vibe of inferiority for those at UPS. As if in a UPS employees twilight years, he suddenly has an epiphany, quits UPS and overcomes great obstacles on his way to a REAL dream - a professional athlete, actor, musician or perhaps a military hero. In your case a game designer.

You are now living in the most pretentious, self-involved colony on the planet, designing simulations for children to immerse themselves in death and destruction. All the while gobbling down bags of potato chips and chemical-laden soft drinks. All things vice, controlled directly by the devil.

Best response :)
Hey Jack,I'm waiting for the ups driver "day in the life" video game
339 methods,can you do everything right?
A different scenario every day for 30 years

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
Hey Jack,I'm waiting for the ups driver "day in the life" video game
339 methods,can you do everything right?
A different scenario every day for 30 years

It already exists, it's called the delivery missions in Grand Theft Auto, although most of the scenarios are illegal, so not quite like UPS.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not to piss in your cereal, but I have had helpers tell me the same story. Lots of people are out of a job right now who had the same dreams that you have. The lucky ones succeed in doing what they love to do, the majority succeed in doing whatever they need to to succeed. Remember that in case your new job doesn't end up working out. Good luck

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
Not to piss in your cereal, but I have had helpers tell me the same story. Lots of people are out of a job right now who had the same dreams that you have. The lucky ones succeed in doing what they love to do, the majority succeed in doing whatever they need to to succeed. Remember that in case your new job doesn't end up working out. Good luck

I'm not sure that it has anything to do with luck. If you have skills that people are willing to pay for, you get hired and stay on. I didn't just have one offer when I made it into the video games industry, I had three. From there it was a matter of deciding where to go. I chose California. No matter what happens with this specific job, I'm certain I'll be in video games for the rest of my career, if I want to. I spent my time away from UPS developing the skills that I knew would be useful in the video games industry. That said, I've had other dreams that didn't work out. For example, one of my other dreams was to write novels, but that is a field which seems "luck" dependent to me, so I didn't pursue it as rigorously as I did the video games industry. I think part of the reason I'm getting into my dream job is because I had more than one dream, so when one option seemed unreachable, I had something else to pursue.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm not sure that iCherrious t has anything to do with luck. If you have skills that people are willing to pay for, you get hired and stay on. I didn't just have one offer when I made it into the video games industry, I had three. From there it was a matter of deciding where to go. I chose California. No matter what happens with this specific job, I'm certain I'll be in video games for the rest of my career, if I want to. I spent my time away from UPS developing the skills that I knew would be useful in the video games industry. That said, I've had other dreams that didn't work out. For example, one of my other dreams was to write novels, but that is a field which seems "luck" dependent to me, so I didn't pursue it as rigorously as I did the video games industry. I think part of the reason I'm getting into my dream job is because I had more than one dream, so when one option seemed unreachable, I had something else to pursue.
I dreamed of giving a better lifestyle to my family and myself then I had growing up. UPS is allowing me to do that with benefits and security, so I guess I'm living my dream job. "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Call of Duty "Brown OPs" anyone.

or C.O.D. "Package Warefare"

Choose between The Brown team, or Purple team in Nuketown themed maps.
Drop some on call pick ups or my choice commits on the enemy team for killstreaks

Congrates on your New career. I'm a FPS gamer and would love to be in your path. Getting on the PS3 in a minute, play some C.O.D. black ops. Get my Chopper gunner killstreak on.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Congratulations to you Jack. I started at UPS 18 years ago and it now deem my situation as one of fortunate circumstance. I'm very lucky o be where I am today. I could probably do so much more with the knowledge that I do have but UPS grants me a pretty mind-numbing and low level stress job. Fortunately for them, at 36 years old, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

frateshkr

I'm a long time employee and a feeder driver with 30 years of safe driving. I understand how it feels to work in the " trenches " at ups. I think Jack 4 has done himself a favor by cutting loose. My reasoning is that as you continue a career at ups the less the company will feel a sense of loyalty to you, at least in the hourly ranks but I see this happening with management as well. In the past three years UPS has discontinued any recognition or service programs that cost anything at all. Your manager says she can no longer even send you a birthday note because the company is feeling the pinch of the economy.

This is all bull****. UPS has plenty of money but doesn't want to waste a good recession by being fair with employees when they can cry poor....let's see what happens in 2013.

Floyd Gondolli

I'm a long time employee and a feeder driver with 30 years of safe driving. I understand how it feels to work in the " trenches " at ups. I think Jack 4 has done himself a favor by cutting loose. My reasoning is that as you continue a career at ups the less the company will feel a sense of loyalty to you, at least in the hourly ranks but I see this happening with management as well. In the past three years UPS has discontinued any recognition or service programs that cost anything at all. Your manager says she can no longer even send you a birthday note because the company is feeling the pinch of the economy.

This is all bull****. UPS has plenty of money but doesn't want to waste a good recession by being fair with employees when they can cry poor....let's see what happens in 2013.

Floyd Gondolli

No offense Jack, but i think you just lack what Adam Carolla calls "the viking gene"..........the ability to work or play thru your aches, pains and injuries. Yeah you moved on great, but do you pay for your health insurance (chiropractor anybody)...oh that's what i thought. Your just getting over your aches? Dude stop. I hear guys that work in warehouses and offices say "oh yeah i worked at UPS, do you know so and so". I say nothing. I just get the signature as i drip sweat all over their floor. Don't mention to the driver "hey bro i used to"....they don't care. I know a lot of part-timers that have their other interests. full timers as well. The rewards far outweigh the risks in this economy. It's a good job in my opinion but i revel in the physicality of all of it. "Strong back weak mind".

Listen to Black Sabbath