A possible MLK Holiday Solution?

textat3

There are many supplements, including Upstate NY, where BF is simply another day. No holiday pay, not OT bonus pay.

The trend for the Company has been to take away paid holidays. I wouldn't hold my breath in regard to the two minor holidays being discussed here as it just ain't gonna happen.
Terrible…that day is like a $1K day down in 639

Pullman Brown

Amazon has shown itself to be an amazing company and they are no longer losing money. Within 10 years they have built out a delivery system that has gone from basically zero to delivering almost as many packages as UPS delivers... I think it would be very short sighted and unwise for us to not pay close attention to what they are doing...

Yeah we helped them do that when they couldn’t and should have charged them more then we did!

DOK

I have been following the contract updates and it is my understanding that making MLK Day a holiday is one unresolved issue.

I believe that anyone who really and truly wants to have MLK Day off should be granted their wish.

That said, I also respect the reasons against pausing all operations at UPS for yet another day since this past Labor Day, traditionally one of the "major holidays" I saw Amazon drivers out delivering.

The solution I am informally proposing here, speaking for no one other than myself, but hoping to win other people over, is to have an additional discretionary day added to the contract which someone may choose to take on MLK day, or any other occasion, or receive a payout for the day at the end of the year.

As a general rule, I believe that the more options we give each other, the better off we will all be ultimately.

Some time ago, I started a thread asking if those in leadership at UPS or the IBT check out what is being posted here. Right now, I am really hoping they do though I am curious what even people who aren't in leadership think of my idea...and I figure I will find out soon enough...
It would be a working holiday like Black Friday, Election Day etc. It’s all about the double time.

Which is sad in so many ways.

When I was a kid, I wasn't aware of the importance of Memorial Day but I am now.

The motorcycle "gang", that I am a member of, is rather busy that weekend honoring the fallen.
I still remember going to cemetery to honor my dad grandfather serve during world war II

I still have his navy uniform and his x-rays I'm just not sure to do with them

R1wonder

Which is sad in so many ways.

When I was a kid, I wasn't aware of the importance of Memorial Day but I am now.

The motorcycle "gang", that I am a member of, is rather busy that weekend honoring the fallen.
Unfortunately the longer time passes the less and less people will do . I thank all my military friends and family for their service but that’s really it. Grill and drink beer like the rest

DOK

Teamsters will ask for it , ups will say no , but they’ll ask for something in replace of it .
Like the extra day the OP mentioned . I think it’s different for supplements but my area doesn’t get Black Friday off anymore and it’s not paid holiday anymore either , but we got an extra Rover to replace that day .
I believe the give back to ups will be we will work but it will be OT and holiday pay. Your area dropped the ball with the holiday language in your supplement if you lost Black Friday. Some areas of the country get DT and the holiday. Hope they fix that in your supplement this time around.

R1wonder

I believe the give back to ups will be we will work but it will be OT and holiday pay. Your area dropped the ball with the holiday language in your supplement if you lost Black Friday. Some areas of the country get DT and the holiday. Hope they fix that in your supplement this time around.
I agree . Honestly never knew other areas still had it off until I joined here . I used to love that day off . Then it went to holiday pay , but we worked . And they wanted us off the clock under 8 hours so we didn’t get “doubt time and a half” then it just went away completely