A win for FedEx Freight drivers!

thedownhillEXPRESS

I
UPS thought the same about RPS.

I'm not saying in any way that Amazon Delivery would ever grow to rival the Big 3 but given time they will grow to where they will be 100% autonomous.

I agree with BB.
Companies are usually only really good at one thing and one business model.
In all reality Amazon isn't even profitable now.
I think soon they'll be backing off the delivery company crazy talk.

vantexan

Despite all the naysayers Amazon is going ahead with it's drone delivery program. I've read the FAA is putting together rules that'll allow it to happen. Might be years down the road, but it's a real possibility. Most likely it'll be primarily residential delivery in suburban areas, but that makes up the bulk of our Amazon deliveries now. An Amazon customer, when placing an order, will see something along the lines of "drone delivery available for this address." Eliminating shipping charges would certainly help them be profitable.

It will be fine

I see Amazon running their own fleet of delivery trucks within major metro areas. It's still crazy cheap to use smart/sure post and usps. With their own fleet they can get same day delivery to cities. They'll still use everyone else for all the third party sellers on Amazon, which is a lot. They'll only deliver the products actually sold and packed by Amazon.
It doesn't really make sense for them to build out an infrastructure to deliver everywhere, no one makes money delivering the rural stuff.

CJinx

Actually, they do. The advantages of servicing an area that no one else wants to do equates to bargaining power at the negotiation table.

gixxer squid

Probably not a lot.

They pay extra in the "core zone" on your settlement. We looked at an area that was paying $200.00 for the core zone vs. the 50 bucks we get now a few miles from the terminal.

We did not purchase the rural route primarily because it did 110 miles a day. Granted, only 50 stops average.

It will be fine

They pay extra in the "core zone" on your settlement. We looked at an area that was paying $200.00 for the core zone vs. the 50 bucks we get now a few miles from the terminal.

We did not purchase the rural route primarily because it did 110 miles a day. Granted, only 50 stops average.

Good call on not buying. Core zone goes away in ISP. You'd get more in fuel but not enough to cover all the extra costs.

gixxer squid

Good call on not buying. Core zone goes away in ISP. You'd get more in fuel but not enough to cover all the extra costs.

I wouldn't wish that mountainous route on my worst enemy, not even Fred S, LOL. One lane roads, all rest, no business. Lived here 20 plus years and didn't even know these places existed. Tires and brakes changed monthly. I called my significant other 1 hour later and told her to pick me up, she asked where I was, I said hell. She couldn't find hell so I endured 115 miles all day. You could not GIVE me that PSA.

gixxer squid

Is there anything positive about the new ISP? I mean from the real world, not the trolls? More money, benefits, anything decent to be had versus our old 1 sided contract or is it going to be less with more work? I have not heard anything positive that outweighs the negative. Only that is further protects fedex from lawsuits.....

It will be fine

Is there anything positive about the new ISP? I mean from the real world, not the trolls? More money, benefits, anything decent to be had versus our old 1 sided contract or is it going to be less with more work? I have not heard anything positive that outweighs the negative. Only that is further protects fedex from lawsuits.....

Depends on how you look at it. Protecting FedEx from lawsuits adds value to your business, so that's good.
I hear they're only giving out 2 year contracts now, so that's bad. Less security for you.
The money was much worse to start, subsequent negotiations have made that better. Hold out as long as possible when you do it, you can always squeeze a little more out of them.
You do have more control over your business, that's good.
It was a rough start, but it's getting better. I keep sinking all additional revenue into more resources, trucks and drivers. So now most days outside of peak I go in for about an hour just to check on things. So that's good.
Overall it's been good for me, but it's a constant battle with FedEx. That's nothing new though.

kickpackage1

When Fedex is involved does it ever benefit anybody other than Fedex ...

MAKAVELI

So what exactly am I missing? Why are these drivers voting the Union down? Granted they are already on fedex payroll as employees.... are they being threatened with firing? Promised better benefit and pay? Just wondering....
Good old-fashioned union busting. FedEx is throwing a lot $ at trying to bust this organizing campaign but the teamsters have won 3 elections with more votes scheduled.

gixxer squid

Good old-fashioned union busting. FedEx is throwing a lot $ at trying to bust this organizing campaign but the teamsters have won 3 elections with more votes scheduled.

Is it the older guys who have tenure and are well paid or the newer guys that will probably never max out thats voting it down? They need to stop wasting their time with employees and come get us ground and HD guys

robdabanks

Is it the older guys who have tenure and are well paid or the newer guys that will probably never max out thats voting it down? They need to stop wasting their time with employees and come get us ground and HD guys

Amen! Sign me up! I talked to a freight guy whose terminal lost a vote and he said it was the young guys. Their first real driving job and thought the pay and benefits were great and thought they didn't need the union. He is hoping for better results next year.

MAKAVELI

Freight right now is the teamsters best shot at getting into FedEx. Fred S is notorious for being extremely anti union and if freight is successful my guess is the teamsters would go after Express next.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So what exactly am I missing? Why are these drivers voting the Union down? Granted they are already on fedex payroll as employees.... are they being threatened with firing? Promised better benefit and pay? Just wondering....
One thing's for certain, they're being lied to by FedEx management in at least one way shape or form.