A win for FedEx Freight drivers!

It will be fine

So what exactly am I missing? Why are these drivers voting the Union down? Granted they are already on fedex payroll as employees.... are they being threatened with firing? Promised better benefit and pay? Just wondering....

Freight actually pays pretty decently, and after scheduling votes fedex came through and gave out raises. There are drivers represented by the teamsters that make less than FedEx Freight. UPS pay is the outlier not the norm for teamster represented workforces. So I'd guess it was no guarantee of better pay + union dues = a no vote.

kickpackage1

FedEx is like the abuser in a relationship when something good is going to happen to a employee like the UNION a abuser will come in an make them feel like they are wanted by giving them cook outs, Gatorade, breakfast at peak season and tell them what they all want to hear just so the abuser can get what it wants and then once the abuser gets what it wants they go right back to abusing it is not Fiction it is a Fact . Also Ground and HD can change their models all they want to bottom line is they are Employees.

MAKAVELI

Freight actually pays pretty decently, and after scheduling votes fedex came through and gave out raises. There are drivers represented by the teamsters that make less than FedEx Freight. UPS pay is the outlier not the norm for teamster represented workforces. So I'd guess it was no guarantee of better pay + union dues = a no vote.
I guess health care and pension don't mean much to those who voted no. As far as raises go, a union contract would be guaranteed for duration of the contract. With FedEx it's whatever Fred S feels like giving or not giving. Union representation is not just about the $, it's also about job security and a fair grievance process for it's members. These drivers that voted no are either ignorant to the benefits of representation or simply just don't care about their future at FedEx.

dezguy

Good old-fashioned union busting. FedEx is throwing a lot $ at trying to bust this organizing campaign but the teamsters have won 3 elections with more votes scheduled.
Exactly what they did here when Teamsters tried to organize us. They bumped anyone with 5 years or more to job rate and gave the old blood a pittance. Seems it was enough for people to swallow the kool aid. 5 years later and people are just as miserable as they were back then. Hopefully we'll see another attempt at unionizing in the upcoming years, now that a lot of the old blood is retiring.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Omg ups does that right before we take the employee survey. Nothing all year. Then one day cookout and good job yada yada recognition. Half the idiots fall for it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm just looking forward to the January Frontline/Upclose (depending upon your respective division) so that my ears can once again be treated to the "thanks for all your hard work and dedication over this past peak....it is very much appreciated" spiel.

It makes it all so worth it. I'd be insulted if they added a little something extra to my already over-burgeoning paycheck....oh wait a second, they ARE adding a little something to it - they're adding an additional amount to my healthcare premium deduction. YAAAAAY!!!

It will be fine

Won't fedex start moving actual freight through the terminals that voted no or haven't voted. I would think they would make plans to limit their exposure to a work stoppage. This will mean less work and fewer hours for the stations that voted yes. Seems very risky for the divers that votes yes. I doubt fedex will be quick to negotiate with the teamsters while eliminating the need for the stations represented by them. I guess good luck to them, they'll need it.

vantexan

Won't fedex start moving actual freight through the terminals that voted no or haven't voted. I would think they would make plans to limit their exposure to a work stoppage. This will mean less work and fewer hours for the stations that voted yes. Seems very risky for the divers that votes yes. I doubt fedex will be quick to negotiate with the teamsters while eliminating the need for the stations represented by them. I guess good luck to them, they'll need it.

No, FedEx is a delivery company, and the local terminals will still be needed to deliver freight. If a terminal in Charlotte, NC was to unionize, would FedEx then deliver the freight from Raleigh to cut out Charlotte? No, logistically impractical.

MAKAVELI

No, FedEx is a delivery company, and the local terminals will still be needed to deliver freight. If a terminal in Charlotte, NC was to unionize, would FedEx then deliver the freight from Raleigh to cut out Charlotte? No, logistically impractical.
It is a scare tactic FedEx and the kool aid drinkers will try to use no doubt to sway votes against the teamsters. The goal is to organize every terminal eventually to negate any unfair labor practices such as this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Freight drivers actually get paid less than Express RTDs, but they top-out in just a few years. Why?. Because they are under the NLRA and don't have the RLA noose around their necks. For you Kool-Aid pals out there, please notice that whenever Freight is about to go union, Fred coughs-up the cash. Gee, why is that?
Freight medical and pension still sucks though, and this is where the new drivers (on the Kool-Aid) don't think long-term and vote "no".

FedEx will tell whatever lies it needs to to keep the IBT out. This includes outsourcing, switching terminals and the threat of layoffs, none of which work except in the sense that the instill fear in uninformed workers.

They need to get to know Fred. Once they know ho he really is, they'll get past the bullshat and vote-in a union.

gixxer squid

I guess health care and pension don't mean much to those who voted no. As far as raises go, a union contract would be guaranteed for duration of the contract. With FedEx it's whatever Fred S feels like giving or not giving. Union representation is not just about the $, it's also about job security and a fair grievance process for it's members. These drivers that voted no are either ignorant to the benefits of representation or simply just don't care about their future at FedEx.

This is what I am trying to understand why its voted down. There is no PERFECT solution, always going to be good with the bad but it has to weigh out in the long run for the end user.

It will be fine

This is what I am trying to understand why its voted down. There is no PERFECT solution, always going to be good with the bad but it has to weigh out in the long run for the end user.
No one plans on a long run with FedEx. They're either ok with current compensation and/or leave within a few years. It's not a company you make a career out of. I'd guess there are little short term benefits of voting yes and some costs. So they vote no.

MAKAVELI

No one plans on a long run with FedEx. They're either ok with current compensation and/or leave within a few years. It's not a company you make a career out of. I'd guess there are little short term benefits of voting yes and some costs. So they vote no.
Is that why 3 terminals have voted for union representation and more petitioned for a vote? Because they don't plan on being with FedEx very long? It seems to me that this will be a long battle in which FedEx is throwing everything they can to bust this organizing campaign. They have given a raise, fired the CEO, hold captive audience meetings, and hired union busting lawyers. You are taking one vote and making an assumption for all the employees company wide. Let's just see how the next elections pan out before you call this campaign busted.

It will be fine

Is that why 3 terminals have voted for union representation and more petitioned for a vote? Because they don't plan on being with FedEx very long? It seems to me that this will be a long battle in which FedEx is throwing everything they can to bust this organizing campaign. They have given a raise, fired the CEO, hold captive audience meetings, and hired union busting lawyers. You are taking one vote and making an assumption for all the employees company wide. Let's just see how the next elections pan out before you call this campaign busted.
Just tying to explain what I think the workers are thinking. I said nothing about the campaign. I will say losing in Louisville is a bad sign. That is a big UPS city and a progressive population overall. You can't live there and not know someone that works or has worked for UPS. If the IBT can't mobilize there it doesn't look good.