accepted unloading practices??????

teamsterdan

so i work out of a medium sized newer facility that has 6 unload doors all outfitted with extendos that go into the trailers....BITD when i started (1993) we had to have the pups jacked up and use gravity, so never mind the fact that they only go 45 or so feet into a 53ft trailer and you (god forbid) have to WALK maybe 5-10ft and put boxes on the extendos.......we also have an air dock with a dock door next to it but does not have an extendo on it.....typically they will put a "retain" trailer on that door and the trailer is usually a flat 43ft. trailer loaded abt. waist high in the nose maybe 20% full on a heavy day.......yes there are actually portable rollers that have been used off and on over the past 5 yrs at least because of gap between where the pkgs are loaded and the belt begins........and yes anyone that has used the portable rollers knows they are a two person 5-10 min job to set them up and take them down, basically they are more of a hassle then they are worth IMOHO and they have tried to use sups to set them up and tried to use them and leave them in the trailers for someone else to worry abt. ......as a 22.3 feeder combo that guy was me and i verbally put the kibosh on both those ideas many times explaining they have to be set up and take out by union employees at the time of use as per ups's own practices........ reluctantly they have agreed.........believe me the gap is NOT a big deal to me personally as a gi who has moved rocks from here to there, literally....yes it sux, but is easier because your not being shot at........i'm 43 and its the younger 20 somethings that likes to talk smack abt. "what great athletes" they were, that bitch the most and decided it would be a good idea to put a bulk cart in the trailer load it ONCE at the nose of the trailer......push it to the end of the trailer and UNLOAD the same pkgs off the cart onto the belt......IS THIS NOT A CLASSIC CASE OF "DOUBLE HANDLING" and was verboten at one time???????....it was just this past fri that the new pre-load supervisor was astonished and perplexed that i was not gunna use "the cart" and walk them back and forth......other than filing a grievance against my co-workers for what can also be deemed as "unsafe"(won't do that) i plan to tell them, when pressed; that i don't believe using a cart is an acceptable un-loading practice as i have never seen a video demonstrating this NEW technique......i welcome your comments and questions, thanks...

teamsterdan

don't know how the un-load operation works?????don't bother hacking on my writing style if ya don't like it tough ****e brother.....contribute or move along

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I will say that was a tough read. I think long story short though is the extendos don't go all the way back so the unloaders use carts to take the packages from the back to the extendo.

This is the laziest thing I have ever heard of. What a joke. I have only used the extendos a few times. When I unloaded it was all rollers. Those extendos make unloading a gravy job at ups.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Most of the trailers we receive are 53'. Our extendos only go 32' -- a handful of doors have a set of rollers attached off the side that are rolled onto the belt, but most use "portable" rollers and a t-stand. Only one person is necessary to set them up. In both instances, another set of rollers can be attached to make the rollers go the length of the trailer, but most people choose to walk the packages off the final 10-12 feet. It takes the average person two hours to unload the 53'

so i work out of a medium sized newer facility that has 6 unload doors all outfitted with extendos that go into the trailers....BITD when i started (1993) we had to have the pups jacked up and use gravity, so never mind the fact that they only go 45 or so feet into a 53ft trailer and you (god forbid) have to WALK maybe 5-10ft and put boxes on the extendos.......we also have an air dock with a dock door next to it but does not have an extendo on it.....typically they will put a "retain" trailer on that door and the trailer is usually a flat 43ft. trailer loaded abt. waist high in the nose maybe 20% full on a heavy day.......yes there are actually portable rollers that have been used off and on over the past 5 yrs at least because of gap between where the pkgs are loaded and the belt begins........and yes anyone that has used the portable rollers knows they are a two person 5-10 min job to set them up and take them down, basically they are more of a hassle then they are worth IMOHO and they have tried to use sups to set them up and tried to use them and leave them in the trailers for someone else to worry abt. ......as a 22.3 feeder combo that guy was me and i verbally put the kibosh on both those ideas many times explaining they have to be set up and take out by union employees at the time of use as per ups's own practices........ reluctantly they have agreed.........believe me the gap is NOT a big deal to me personally as a gi who has moved rocks from here to there, literally....yes it sux, but is easier because your not being shot at........i'm 43 and its the younger 20 somethings that likes to talk smack abt. "what great athletes" they were, that bitch the most and decided it would be a good idea to put a bulk cart in the trailer load it ONCE at the nose of the trailer......push it to the end of the trailer and UNLOAD the same pkgs off the cart onto the belt......IS THIS NOT A CLASSIC CASE OF "DOUBLE HANDLING" and was verboten at one time???????....it was just this past fri that the new pre-load supervisor was astonished and perplexed that i was not gunna use "the cart" and walk them back and forth......other than filing a grievance against my co-workers for what can also be deemed as "unsafe"(won't do that) i plan to tell them, when pressed; that i don't believe using a cart is an acceptable un-loading practice as i have never seen a video demonstrating this NEW technique......i welcome your comments and questions, thanks...
Damn that's one long ass post. WTF

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have never heard of using a cart in a trailer. I'm old school, we didn't have extendos in my Hub days. It was t-stands and rollers, not a big deal.

teamsterdan

oh! now, i remember WTF (thats WhyThe ***) for those that are unable to understand acronyms, i stay away from this site.

Grammar NAZI's!!!!!

teamsterdan

4.wtf1540 up, 453 down
The universal interrogative particle.

The abbreviation of, most commonly, 'what the ****', though sometimes also 'who/why/when/where the ****'. When used with an exclamation point instead of a question mark, it becomes an exclamation of amazement, confusion, disbelief, ect.

Both forms are often accentuated with 'mate' or preceded by 'dude'.
Dude, WTF are you on?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
4.wtf1540 up, 453 down
The universal interrogative particle.

The abbreviation of, most commonly, 'what the ****', though sometimes also 'who/why/when/where the ****'. When used with an exclamation point instead of a question mark, it becomes an exclamation of amazement, confusion, disbelief, ect.

Both forms are often accentuated with 'mate' or preceded by 'dude'.
Dude, WTF are you on?

Highlighted it for you since you also failed to understand what generally means in my post.
[h=3]gen·er·al·ly[/h]/ˈjenərəlē/
Adverb

1. In most cases; usually.
  2. In general terms; without regard to particulars or exceptions.

Synonyms
usually - in general - commonly - ordinarily - as a rule

Kis124

7 of our 10 bays can handle 53 footers. We have rollers that hook on to the end of the extendos and the unloader just has to put the box on it and it rolls onto the belt. Kind of like the old manual belts used for the drop frame trailers. Sounds like your building needs an upgrade lol

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Working in the load is MUCH worse than the unload...any day, every day.

While you are in control of your pace (excluding supervisors screaming to speed up)in the unload, you are completely at the mercy of the flow in the load. This gets exacerbated by lack of an attentive PT sup and a :censored2: set of rollers. The unload doesn't have to deal with 20-bay jams when your HVD pickoff decides not to let anyone know he's not had any flow for 10 minutes.

And to the OP....you can't write that cluster-friend*uck of text and then get pissed off when people criticize you about it. I think it's a safe bet you are your own worst enemy in more places than this forum.

Also, I'm a 20-something and I think I'm a friend*ucking athlete. WTF do you think about that? WTF are you going to respond. IMHO, WTF?

And regarding your question (i guess). If they want to waste their time double handling, then let them waste their time. As far as extendo's......they make things 10 times easier than any set of rollers, ever. Even the extendable rollers on the carts only go back to about 43' of the 52' trailers....I'll take an extendo, please.