Advice for a New Driver

Thurisaz

This right here is one of my biggest concerns. The DIAD training they give you in class was a joke. No hands on. All on a computer and confusing af.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope you get the call back to work soon.
Thanks, me as well...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It’s beginning to sound like management is going to be my biggest problem.

When you’re out on your route, do you ever encounter customers who feel their entitled to your time? Like making you wait to receive their packages, taking their sweet time signing, talking on the phone and ignoring your presence, making ridiculous requests like having you haul their packages to an office in the back of their building and just generally having the attitude like “I paid for this to be shipped here and you now work for me for the next 5-10 minutes.” ..? I bring this up because it was a common issue I had with customers at my last job. It almost seemed like they were purposely wasting my time, and the worst part is there was NOTHING I could do about it but smile and wait. Then dispatch would call me up and give me an ear full because I was behind.

I've been told to take the packages anywhere in the building you are asked. People can be slow, but as you get to know them, and where the delivery points are, it becomes automatic. Just keep smiling and being polite while conveying a sense of urgency, you'll get them trained. I have trouble with this because I tend to come off as rude and have a hard time controlling my body language, but the smiling helps.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
One delivery point---anything beyond that and they are taking advantage of you.

I've been told that too, but while doing a ride along the very same supervisor always has me drop where requested. As much as I hate delivering cases of paper, they're already on the hand truck, might as well drop them in the copy room down the hall and around the corner.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Scan
Enter suite # or consignee
Big down
Scan remaining pieces
Orange 5
Orange C
Orange 4
Enter name
Enter
8 (inside delivery)
Stop complete
Signature button
"Sorry, I guess I DO need a signature after all, durrrrr"
Signature button
Enter
Orange 5
Orange C
Orange 4 (yes, cancel cir)
Stop compete
8 (inside delivery)

Easy peasy

Scan
Enter suite # or consignee
Big down
Scan remaining pieces
Orange 5
Orange C
Orange 4
Enter name
Enter
8 (inside delivery)
Stop complete
Signature button
"Sorry, I guess I DO need a signature after all, durrrrr"
Signature button
Enter
Orange 5
Orange C
Orange 4 (yes, cancel cir)
Stop compete
8 (inside delivery)

Easy peasy
Thanks. I did not know that

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been told that too, but while doing a ride along the very same supervisor always has me drop where requested. As much as I hate delivering cases of paper, they're already on the hand truck, might as well drop them in the copy room down the hall and around the corner.

That's fine. What I was talking about was them asking you to drop the copy paper here, the office supplies there, etc. One delivery point.

Thurisaz

Before getting hired on I worked for a small parcel delivery company that was contracted by Amazon. We drove full size vans and would often deliver as much as 300 packages over 200+ stops, during peak season I once delivered 306 packages in 252 stops; ten hour days. But I had the luxury of a GPS system to aid me in delivery and the packages were obviously a LOT smaller than what UPS drivers deal with. We also never had set routes. One day i'd be delivering up in Everett (WA), the next I could be in Kirkland, another day in Seattle and so on..

Now that I've been 'demoted' to a pickup driver, I've seriously been thinking of the Amazon contracted delivery company nearby.
It's getting really hard dealing with the sporadic hours and always being on call, it's hard to find a PT job to work around this non-existent schedule I have...

MrBates

So, how did you get by in your days as a newbie? What helped you navigate an area you were unfamiliar with? I'm assuming you wouldn't have had the time to study a map in between every deliver, especially if you have well over a hundred stops to make. Regardless of my past experience, I'm unsure how well i'm going to fare at making stops in an unknown area in a timely matter.

If you're in the process of qualifying then most likely you'll be running one route for your 30 days. There's plenty of advice here if you utilize the search feature to help you with that. If they decide to qualify you, you will be seeing different routes. It is at this time that you should pick a pace that's safe and comfortable for you. Just keep your methods the same every time and if you need time to pull over and look at the map, do so and work out the most efficient way to run your next section of stops. Don't ever worry about their numbers. It will gradually improve with area knowledge.

Oh and for the love of God when you cover someone else's route dont take shortcuts and burn up the route. Remember, nice and steady pace using all the methods. You see, management will never tell you this, but you really shouldnt burn up the route. If you scratch by .50 clicks or more it looks good but then someone above dispatch is going to see it and say "Why didnt you give him more work?". They really don't want to give you more work, but when you burn up the route they HAVE to, because someone from the top is always watching, so if you see Orion telling you to go to a stop far away and then come back to the same area, dispatch did it on purpose to add miles/time to make it look like a full day. If you run the route efficiently, use the extra time to make sure you are working "safer". Play the game.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
It’s beginning to sound like management is going to be my biggest problem.

When you’re out on your route, do you ever encounter customers who feel their entitled to your time? Like making you wait to receive their packages, taking their sweet time signing, talking on the phone and ignoring your presence, making ridiculous requests like having you haul their packages to an office in the back of their building and just generally having the attitude like “I paid for this to be shipped here and you now work for me for the next 5-10 minutes.” ..? I bring this up because it was a common issue I had with customers at my last job. It almost seemed like they were purposely wasting my time, and the worst part is there was NOTHING I could do about it but smile and wait. Then dispatch would call me up and give me an ear full because I was behind.

Absolutely, everyday and as a driver you must be assertive with this. It’s easy to be polite and wait but if you let them, they’ll have you there for ages. One thing that shocked me doing this job is just how drivers are treated, I thought people would be happy to receive their shipments but instead, especially at commercial stops, they are absolute c0cks with you 9/10. Do you want what you ordered or nah?

I admittedly got sharp with a receptionist this morning. She sent me initially around the back so I said ok, doesn’t usually go there but I’ll play. The guys round the back sent me back to the front to which I said your receptionist sent me here. “Oh no she’s wrong those go to the front”. I said can we get it straight where you want delivery please, and bounced.

Ok whatever, back to receptionist who proceeds to tell me they are wrong and I am under “strict” instructions not to receive packages. I said your taking this or I’m putting it back on the truck, she tried to answer but I cut her off and repeated the package will go back on the truck. Some other weapon ended up coming out to sign for it and apologized.

People suck.

Heavy Package

When you start driving you need to , SCAN THE AREA FOR SUPERVISORS , every stop you need to look in your mirrors to make sure no ones following you

Saw a sup following me and next stop I pulled over and punched out for lunch. The look on his face after waiting 15-20 minutes was priceless.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Absolutely, everyday and as a driver you must be assertive with this. It’s easy to be polite and wait but if you let them, they’ll have you there for ages. One thing that shocked me doing this job is just how drivers are treated, I thought people would be happy to receive their shipments but instead, especially at commercial stops, they are absolute c0cks with you 9/10. Do you want what you ordered or nah?

I admittedly got sharp with a receptionist this morning. She sent me initially around the back so I said ok, doesn’t usually go there but I’ll play. The guys round the back sent me back to the front to which I said your receptionist sent me here. “Oh no she’s wrong those go to the front”. I said can we get it straight where you want delivery please, and bounced.

Ok whatever, back to receptionist who proceeds to tell me they are wrong and I am under “strict” instructions not to receive packages. I said your taking this or I’m putting it back on the truck, she tried to answer but I cut her off and repeated the package will go back on the truck. Some other weapon ended up coming out to sign for it and apologized.

People suck.

This is y I chose home delivery over FedEx ground... 90% resis & 10% BS commercial stops, butt I'm lucky my commercial stops are all friendly

Rick718

I’m a week into my 40 days to qualify went out Friday for the first time by myself with 165 stops didn’t scratch I was done by 730 but for only having 3 days on the job I think I did pretty good. Have to work on scratching now

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
68AE6A69-A5BD-4544-BC03-D40F458F4EA7.gif
Have to work on scratching now