After my 2nd day of preloading I..really need tips.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by HawkReich, Sep 23, 2016.

1. HawkReich

HawkReich GO HAWKS!

I really want to get better. I wasn't thinkin it would be that vigorous but damn do I feel it.

I feel confused though because different sups are telling me different things. One tells me to do it a certain way and another says "driver's are pompous :censored2:s, they get paid 50 :censored2:ing bucks an hour. Just toss the box on the right shelf."

I want to be the preloader driver's WANT. One driver is nice to me the other was a dickheadJudyuu. But oh well.

Just looking for advice I guess.
  2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Not so easy is it, Taco boy? lol
    You need to focus on getting the right packages in the right trucks and on the proper shelves with the shipping labels facing up, out (facing you) or towards the bulkhead door. Load overweights on the floor...nearly under the shelf if possible (keeping a clear path for you to walk inside the truck while you load) when shipping labels facing up or out.

Keep up with the flow....don't run but don't be the butt hole that other loaders need to bail out everyday cause you don't keep up.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. dookie stain

dookie stain Well-Known Member

If it's 8150 and 8750 just being on the 8000 shelf doesn't necessarily'll get better with time...don't worry about it
  4. matty_lawn

matty_lawn Active Member

Make sure you really mess up that :censored2: drivers truck on Monday
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...and promptly get his butt sent to the unload...
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  6. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

Just like anything else, you will get better with time. The soreness will also go away...eventually.
  7. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Bring your driver breakfast every morning.
  8. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

belt to car? boxline? Much depends upon your setup.

Belt to car, it's no secret, you must be fast and work ahead of the flow. And hope you have at least one good belt sorter up front, if you are not in the front of the belt.

Boxline, it's a different animal. You must balance the cages and never pull smalls. Just pull and load the larger boxes 100% of the time and it will all filter out. Many people try to load smalls when their cages are jammed and wonder why they don't empty.

and on and on...but no point without getting into your setup..
  9. dudebro

dudebro Active Member

The guy who said toss the box on the right shelf is a jagoff. Do your best not to listen to that guy. Load with the driver in mind, stop for stop, using the proper methods.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

Stop for stop? I'd be happy if it was on the right shelf close to ascending HIN order.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. HawkReich

HawkReich GO HAWKS!

Im a taco lady actually. Lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

13. snarts

snarts Member

What really helped me was not using the crayon at all. I save a ton of time by just simply glancing at the label and making sure the city/town is correct and placing it in the correct shelf. Since I'm on a boxline I am able to keep my cages relatively empty and when ever I see a empty one coming I use the time to organize the shelves and check to see if I have any off routes. My misloads have never been in the red since I did away with the crayon.
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

As a driver I can tell you that using the crayon or pulling the PAL are a waste of time.
  15. PASinterference

PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

The crappiest loads in our building are on the drivers that load their trucks before work. Why would a loader care about the load if it's going to get fixed for free?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

For the last MF time, that is not done for you. It helps the loader establish his placement of every remaining pkg.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • List
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  17. Billy Ray

If you get it on the proper shelf, with no misloads, Rockstar!
  18. snarts

snarts Member

Well it obviously doesn't work because whenever we have a new trainee on the line the drivers always complain about having the packages on incorrect shelves.

That is exactly what the drivers on my set told me.
  19. MendozaJ

MendozaJ Active Member

Check the load charts for drops. Create a plan. You'll eventually learn that 60 pieces for the 2000 shelf won't actually fit on the 2000 shelf. Keep the drops together, with bulky drops closer to the rear. Doesn't matter if you put a 1000 drop in RDR. If it's 20 boxes of copy paper, to the rear it goes. 40 boxes of textbooks, to the rear. Both sides. Once the driver gets those drops off, he can work with the space.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  20. Billy Ray

This sumbeech actually gets it!

Well done sir.