After my 2nd day of preloading I..really need tips.

PT Car Washer

"Reporting the preloader" is a fine line to toe. You never want to rat on another Teamster. But at the same time you want things to be made right.
In this case, I don't know who my loader was this particular day. So I let my sup know (with said picture) of my displeasure of my load quality. I think they also knew by my having one air late and I NEVER have air late. What they do from there is on them.
From what I have heard from drivers complaining about their prelaoder is "if we did not have him loading your car, we would have no one". Enjoy making $50/hr. OT while your loader makes $10/hr.

Cementups

Box Monkey
From what I have heard from drivers complaining about their prelaoder is "if we did not have him loading your car, we would have no one". Enjoy making $50/hr. OT while your loader makes $10/hr.

$34.80/hour (I don't get much OT aside from days where my loader screws me). And your repetitive argument about $10 loaders is irrelevant. It's an entry job into a bigger opportunity which leads to $34.80. Most of us did it, so why should it be any different today.

PT Car Washer

I've done several jobs for UPS including driving. I've driven package cars, and I've driven rentals during peak. I'm currently OMS.
I hope you're joking. If not, that's a terrible attitude.

We all work toward the same goal. Getting packages delivered on time in a safe manner, while providing the best customer service possible.

With people like you, that common goal becomes disrupted, and causes issues for everyone involved.

For example, I was driving a rental budget truck a couple of years ago during peak. Rentals are a beast compared to package cars. You can't find :censored2: if your loader doesn't make an effort to try to keep everything in cohesive piles.
I got this :censored2: one day
View attachment 97928
Stacked top to bottom, front to back, side to side. And litterally thrown everywhere. I had 1000s with 7000s, RDR time commit bulk stops clear up in the front of the box burried under all this other :censored2:. I had to sort my truck every few stops to even attempt to get those RDRs out in time. And had to continue to sort my truck the rest of the day. I ended up needing two other drivers to help bail me out so I could make my commercial pickups before end of business.

Throwing :censored2: wherever and not caring wastes everyones time. If you can't do your job the way you're supposed to, then find a different job.
Just saying that is the attitude of management in my building. Don't like your job? Then quit. Never used to be like this.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
$34.80/hour (I don't get much OT aside from days where my loader screws me). And your repetitive argument about $10 loaders is irrelevant. It's an entry job into a bigger opportunity which leads to $34.80. Most of us did it, so why should it be any different today.
Just because most of us were underpaid as loaders doesn't make it right.

PT Car Washer

A very small percentage of PT employees ever get the opportunity to go FT either as a FT driver or a 22.3. The rest may as well work at Walmart starting at $11.50/hr and up for twice the hours. UPS has priced themselves out of the labor market. Of course that is because the Teamsters will not let them pay more then Union scale. Sarcasm.

W

What The Hawk?

A very small percentage of PT employees ever get the opportunity to go FT either as a FT driver or a 22.3. The rest may as well work at Walmart starting at $11.50/hr and up for twice the hours. UPS has priced themselves out of the labor market. Of course that is because the Teamsters will not let them pay more then Union scale. Sarcasm.
I live down from a driver. She became one in like 2 years and makes a :censored2: ton of money a year. I really think it depends on the area.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I live down from a driver. She became one in like 2 years and makes a :censored2: ton of money a year. I really think it depends on the area.

@HawkReich is correct. It certainly depends on where you are. I hear places where it can take 7-10 years to become a driver, never the less FT. Whereas here where I am we need drivers so bad they are basically walking in the door and getting sized up for browns. And that's not an exaggeration.

davidix

Preloading gets easier and easier. Yes you'll be sore and you'll be tired but remember you control your day. If my back was tight I wouldnt do extra work that day. Simple as that.

Also you load the trucks exactly how the driver wants, don't listen to the sups. They don't know or care. They just want to wrap up in time.

You want to become a driver? It doesn't take years this isn't 1990. If you work in a major hub you'll be driving before you know it. Look around you. Most part-timers don't want to move up. There's no competition. Look down your line just to see for yourself.

Don't be that preloader that messes around all day and does a half ass load either. You get a good relationship with your drivers. They'll thank you for it. You can make or break their day. Next thing you know when your name is called to drive the driver sups will see the trucks you loaded, the drivers will have nothing but good things to say.

Work smart...load the right way...show up. Not bad at all.

W

What The Hawk?

I hope I can become a driver in 2 years. Well :censored2:, I hope i last till the end of the year. Lol thats a goal.

W

What The Hawk?

Preloading gets easier and easier. Yes you'll be sore and you'll be tired but remember you control your day. If my back was tight I wouldnt do extra work that day. Simple as that.

Also you load the trucks exactly how the driver wants, don't listen to the sups. They don't know or care. They just want to wrap up in time.

You want to become a driver? It doesn't take years this isn't 1990. If you work in a major hub you'll be driving before you know it. Look around you. Most part-timers don't want to move up. There's no competition. Look down your line just to see for yourself.

Don't be that preloader that messes around all day and does a half ass load either. You get a good relationship with your drivers. They'll thank you for it. You can make or break their day. Next thing you know when your name is called to drive the driver sups will see the trucks you loaded, the drivers will have nothing but good things to say.

Work smart...load the right way...show up. Not bad at all.
I like this advice.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'd work my non existent balls off to make it at least acceptable to the driver. That's the preloaders job. I know each driver is different and will change things around but my job is to please the driver, put things on the right shelf in proper order and get zero misloads as i understand it. Did you report the preloaders?
Wrong. Until you gain seniority (make book) and become good, fast and accurate at your job.....your job is to do load the trucks accurately, don't get misloads and do whatever management tells you. As your sup will remind you, you work for them, not your drivers.

There is nothing wrong with custom loading to please drivers....but manangement is not going to tolerate a newbie getting backed up and needing help because you're trying to move stops around.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
@HawkReich is correct. It certainly depends on where you are. I hear places where it can take 7-10 years to become a driver, never the less FT. Whereas here where I am we need drivers so bad they are basically walking in the door and getting sized up for browns. And that's not an exaggeration.
100% correct...it depends on location. And they don't make getting a transfer easy....lol

watdaflock?

Get boxes close to the correct spot but don't waste minutes moving and re-stacking a shelf just to get one box in order. If out of order, at least write the pal # largely on the front of the box.

Rack em

Made the Podium
From what you've said so far I can tell you will be a very good loader once you get the hang of it. Wanting to be good at your job and having the drivers in mind is a great thing. Just take it one day at a time and it will become easier every day. Keep loading how they train you and if a driver has any issues they will probably talk to you about it and then you can make the adjustments. Until then just keep having that positive attitude and you'll be golden.