Am I stupid for turning down a bid into feeders?

twoweeled

Got a call today. I signed a bid sheet for back up feeder spot. Ask a few questions but ended up saying no. Am I stupid? I know there's personal preferences on what's enjoyable and what's not. But I am starting to second guess my decision.

I'm less than a year into driving. Early 30's. Married with young kids. A little intimidated about driving a big rig. A little nervous about driving them on snowy roads (we have winter here). The job seems easy but a bit boring. Anyways. Opinions please.
I would advise almost anyone to go, first chance you have. a year of driving? Doesn't sound like you have a lot of seniority picking vacations now. It'll be more difficult now in younger years, but easier in later years. I wonder how many drivers voting against going in now, are feeder drivers now? That may or may not shed a little light. It's not so much the money, as the wear and tear on your body. Just my opinion.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
If your local End-Tails seniority into feeders then get in as soon as possible. If they Dove-Tail you can waffle a little. I got in during the big hiring spree last summer and it's worked great. Got summer vacations, had a 4-10 job, went back to the coverage board to spice it up and get some road jobs. I have 3 young kids and I've taken them to the early movies on a Wednesday without burning an option day. Can't do that in package!

Elvis

Forty and out
After 8 years in packages feeder was like a vacation. I might work 11 hours, but I wasn't exhausted. Might work Sunday night, but Friday could get appointments done. I could coach week nights and be alert for Saturday games. Summer vacations are over rated, they're crowded, and if your kids are smart they can miss a little school. I've been 27 years in feeder, and never regretted it.

ManInBrown

I know someone mentioned time flies in a daily sense in package. Couldn't agree more. You're walking into the building on Monday, and before you know it you're walking out Friday. Some may disagree with that but time does fly. Never had a job where the day goes by quicker. I know in feeder that won't be the case. I'm on the list but will probably turn it down. That and working nights are the 2 downsides IMO

Overpaid Union Thug

My center is working on getting more feeder work (as we should have) and I hope it happens so that some of our guys will have that shot of working in feeders that our local has been denying us for so many years. I would probably consider it and maybe try it out but I don't think I could handle the overnight runs. I've worked 7pm-7am before in a factory in a job that kept me busy and I was still fighting to stay away. I'd start to doze off anytime I had to stand still for more than 5 seconds. LOL! Imagine if I was driving those hours. For me sleeping through the night is a must. I guess you could say I'm not feeder compatible

govols019

You smell that?
Blackout curtains make all the difference...When I shut the door and turn off the lights you'd never know it was daylight outside. It's all about having a routine and sticking with it for me.

I've always been a night owl...working nights is great for me. I like going to work at 8:30PM a lot better than getting off at 8:30PM.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Blackout curtains make all the difference...When I shut the door and turn off the lights you'd never know it was daylight outside. It's all about having a routine and sticking with it for me.

I've always been a night owl...working nights is great for me. I like going to work at 8:30PM a lot better than getting off at 8:30PM.
Same here. I keep to the same sleep/wake schedule even on the weekends and it makes a huge difference, the guys who really struggle are the ones who try to switch to days on the weekend and then back to nights during the workweek which keeps your body from ever really adjusting to a schedule. Those guys always look like zombies on Monday.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Same here. I keep to the same sleep/wake schedule even on the weekends and it makes a huge difference, the guys who really struggle are the ones who try to switch to days on the weekend and then back to nights during the workweek which keeps your body from ever really adjusting to a schedule. Those guys always look like zombies on Monday.

I do that! The zombie part, not the "keeping the same schedule" part. lol

I grab a couple hours of sleep on the weekend, but I get refreshed enough Sunday night into Monday that I'm not so much of a zombie come Monday night

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I've been retired 1.5 years now, and I still keep basically the same schedule that I had in feeders. I worked nights by choice, especially towards the end of my career when I could have had a day job. I'm a night owl. Look at the time. 3am. I rest my case. lol.

Overpaid Union Thug

I did that when I worked nights. I would come home from work at 7:30am on Saturday morning and grab a few hours of sleep and then wake up to go hang out with friends. I was 21and still partied allot. It got to the point where I hoped no one planned anything that started early in the day (like canoe trips) so that I could sleep longer. I'd be that zombie otherwise.