Are sorters required to load?

ClassicFumbles

It was always Fumbles..
I have been with UPS for 2 years now. I consider myself to be a good employee. I always come to work with a good attitude and work ethic. I worked as a package handler for a while, stayed in one area in the outbounds the whole time. Very seldom on a crappy night, we’d have to go help out another area of the outbounds. Not a big deal.

I have since moved upstairs to main sort. Got my dollar raise and became a sorter. My job title on upsers is now “Sorter”
To any logical person, that means my job is now “Sorting”

I have been a sorter at main sort for our building for about 4 months. My area has had a different PT supervisor for about a month now. The previous PT supervisor was the guy who suggested I move up top. Recently, I have noticed a few things that don’t seem fair. I feel I am being taken advantage of while others slack off.

1. I am told I have to run a belt by myself either all night, or until the guys who are habitually 30-45min late show up. Keep in mind this is a two man job. It’s a two man belt. We run 4 belts up top, 2 men per belt. But not me. I am made to run one by myself. I tear up my back with stretching over the belt to grab packages while everyone else is happily sorting away with their partner.

2. After I complete my job each night, I am then told I have to go downstairs to the outbounds to help out. So not only do I have to do a two man job by myself, I then have to do a third job and pick up after a bunch of idiots who can’t seem to hit 350 pieces per hour and keep their area clean. Once again, just me. Not the other guys I sort with, not the guys in the unload, not the guys in the bullfrog, just me. Everyone gets to go home when they complete the work in their area, except me.

Thursday of last week I was told to go load. I was so angry I wasn’t paying attention, lost my footing and slipped down the gap between the building and trailer. My leg was shredded up pretty bad. It looked like a golf ball growing on my shin bone. No ones fault but my own, but still had to miss Friday because of it. $40 out of my pocket.

When I confronted this PT supervisor, the only explanation he could give me of why I am being singled out was “Well you’re one of our better guys so we need you”
So I am just expected to work harder than everyone else because of that reason??
Is there anything I can do to stop this? I work really hard at main sort. It’s not fair for me to have to help out when everyone else gets to go home.

AlliSeeisBrown

To answer your title...sorters are required to work as directed.

As far as you being the only one on your belt while everyone gets two...why do you think that is? It's because you handle it and they aren't going to staff two, when it only takes one of you. Even if you're overexerting yourself. How do you fix this? Slow down and get backed up and MAKE them send over another body to pick up the slack.

Next point about going to other areas...Work as directed. You aren't entitled to one single work location. However, if people with lower seniority are going home before you. You have a grievance, seek a shop steward for assistance.

Injuring yourself...You're letting this :censored2:hole get to you and you ended up hurting YOURSELF by not following the methods. (Look before stepping). You also should've reported this injury.

Your last point...Sorry but your supe is right. You work so hard and unsafely, they absolutely love you and abuse you. You are enabling them.

Point of the story. Work as SAFELY and as quickly as YOU can. Quit being the hero and set your pace. Everything you've explained, you've done it all to yourself.

ClassicFumbles

It was always Fumbles..
I’ll admit I had that idea before, work slow as hell just like everyone else, but I didn’t like how it sounded. But I guess that’s all I really can do. I’ll ask my shop steward for any advice. Thank you for the response I appreciate it.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I have been with UPS for 2 years now. I consider myself to be a good employee. I always come to work with a good attitude and work ethic. I worked as a package handler for a while, stayed in one area in the outbounds the whole time. Very seldom on a crappy night, we’d have to go help out another area of the outbounds. Not a big deal.

I have since moved upstairs to main sort. Got my dollar raise and became a sorter. My job title on upsers is now “Sorter”

I have been a sorter at main sort for our building for about 4 months. My area has had a different PT supervisor for about a month now. The previous PT supervisor was the guy who suggested I move up top. Recently, I have noticed a few things that don’t seem fair. I feel I am being taken advantage of while others slack off.

1. I am told I have to run a belt by myself either all night, or until the guys who are habitually 30-45min late show up. Keep in mind this is a two man job. It’s a two man belt. We run 4 belts up top, 2 men per belt. But not me. I am made to run one by myself. I tear up my back with stretching over the belt to grab packages while everyone else is happily sorting away with their partner.

2. After I complete my job each night, I am then told I have to go downstairs to the outbounds to help out. So not only do I have to do a two man job by myself, I then have to do a third job and pick up after a bunch of idiots who can’t seem to hit 350 pieces per hour and keep their area clean. Once again, just me. Not the other guys I sort with, not the guys in the unload, not the guys in the bullfrog, just me. Everyone gets to go home when they complete the work in their area, except me.

Thursday of last week I was told to go load. I was so angry I wasn’t paying attention, lost my footing and slipped down the gap between the building and trailer. My leg was shredded up pretty bad. It looked like a golf ball growing on my shin bone. No ones fault but my own, but still had to miss Friday because of it. $40 out of my pocket.

When I confronted this PT supervisor, the only explanation he could give me of why I am being singled out was “Well you’re one of our better guys so we need you”
So I am just expected to work harder than everyone else because of that reason??
Is there anything I can do to stop this? I work really hard at main sort. It’s not fair for me to have to help out when everyone else gets to go home.
You know if there is a gap between the building and trailer you can fall through that is unsafe. You make them close that gap or dont work it. File a grievance the next time

OrionsBitch

Not...
UPS is an ass backwards company that rewards good work ethics with more work and likewise coddles to slackers.

I'm not saying be a slacker. Do an honest days work, just don't bust your ass for them. Also don't be afraid to speak up for yourself respectfully.

We have a few slacker drivers in our center who really drag their feet so management will send then help. They sent me a few times to help these guys. I went to my center manager and told him im not going to help "John Smith" because he doesn't help himself. He tested the waters with me and sent me again the next Monday. The rest of the week I worked till 8. He tried the same thing again the next week. I repeated the process of working till 8.

Went back and talked to him again. At this point others were being dragged into the situation because he was sending others instead of me. Well it turns out he didn't like having 3 other people bitching at him so he stopped sending us and let the slacker stay out till 9-10 a few nights. He also got some "performance rides."

Needless to say I haven't been sent to help anyone in about 3 years. I'm in a smaller center and the culture aroung the drivers is get your own work done (unless it's peak).

unloady

I was in a similar situation, i was in sort aisle and the best one. They noticed and started to make me sort two trailers by myself while everyone else got to just sort one. Slow down, but work SAFE. I eventually got enough seniority to move into unload.

AlliSeeisBrown

I’ll admit I had that idea before, work slow as hell just like everyone else, but I didn’t like how it sounded. But I guess that’s all I really can do. I’ll ask my shop steward for any advice. Thank you for the response I appreciate it.

You don't have to work 'slow as hell' in spite. You just need to set a pace for yourself without performing all of the unsafe habits that you have.

I work on a wide belt that feeds into the air trailer. It used to be one person on each side, now it's just me on one side. Idiots would hop on the moving belt and grab packages on the other side to pull them off. Not this guy. If it was out of reach, it would just go up into the air trailer. Told them to staff another body or give me a 'shepherds hook' to grab the pkgs. After a week of the air sort crying, they got me a hook. You don't have to be an ass to other people. Just be respectful and state your case.

Last edited:

AlliSeeisBrown

Copy that

upload_2018-5-8_12-11-9.png

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
B6A7AC9F-8E71-4DE3-9975-4258E0129C4F.gif

Turdferguson

Just a turd

giphy (1).gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Tldr but it doesn't even matter

Work as directed

Box Ox

I am made to run one by myself. I tear up my back with stretching over the belt to grab packages while everyone else is happily sorting away with their partner.

Don’t do that. Demand safe working conditions and get the union involved if you need to.

Oops

If you try to be the sort superstar, and are even willing to sort a belt alone, the supervisors are gonna hitch their wagon to you in order to make their numbers.

I never asked for special treatment, just fair.

You’ve come to the wrong place of employment for that. You won’t be treated fairly unless you insist on it. You will be taken advantage of if you let them.

ClassicFumbles

It was always Fumbles..
Don’t do that. Demand safe working conditions and get the union involved if you need to.

Oops

If you try to be the sort superstar, and are even willing to sort a belt alone, the supervisors are gonna hitch their wagon to you in order to make their numbers.

You’ve come to the wrong place of employment for that. You won’t be treated fairly unless you insist on it. You will be taken advantage of if you let them.

Thank you for the advice. I’ll slow it down a bit and hopefully they send someone to help.

Also, I keep hearing “Work as directed”

I get it yall. Boss says do something, you do it. I guess I’m having a hard time understanding that because I used to see all kinds of bull:censored2: when I was a loader. No call no shows, call outs with bull:censored2: excuses etc.. all those idiots are never reprimanded even though they were “Directed” to come to work like a good employee should.