Non sequitur

So the yellow parking brake valve controls tractor spring brakes, the red emergency valve controls trailer spring brakes, and hand valve controls trailer service brakes?

FeeDerp

So the yellow parking brake valve controls tractor spring brakes, the red emergency valve controls trailer spring brakes, and hand valve controls trailer service brakes?

Correct.

In to release brakes, out to set.

Red valve also supplies air to the trailer when pushed in

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
trailer brakes only. Used while stopped in traffic and intersections and pre-trip inspections. At least that's when I used mine.
the hand brake can also be used in an emergency but it takes practice. when in snow and ice and you your trailer starts pushing the tractor sideways you can give the hand brake just enough pull to straighten out.

i used to practice this every winter in a very large pull out on the side of the highway if no trucks were parked there. that is why it is so important to have your brakes all properly adjusted, especially in winter. used to drive mechanics crazy asking them to adjust. almost every time 2 or 3 would be out too much or adjusted too tight. i did it myself if i was exchanging trailers at a meet point.

it can also stop a slide on a wet / oily highway. but if you overdo it it can cause a roll over. have had some close calls over
the years but fortunately nothing bad happened.

just a couple times in my career i was going around a long bend in the highway and without warning all the traffic was stopped because of an accident. the hand brake can be awfully handy in this situation. you do send up a smokescreen though from the burning rubber.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I saved myself from a jackknife accident with a set of pups one night using the hand valve on a wet road. You have to react quickly before it gets out of shape too badly. It is not recommended by management and I didn't think it happens enough to mention it to a newbie in feeders. but yeah, it can save your bacon in a pinch.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we work in a hub where there is snow 6 months out of a year so i advised new drivers to practice a little in the yard. get up to maybe 15-20 mph and first hit the brake pedal slightly on the snow or ice and see what happens. see which way the trailers go , either one side or the other or straight ( usually if ABS was working correctly.) then hit the brake pedal a little harder and see what happens.

then practice the same thing with hand brake. you are right the managers discouraged this. not sure why. maybe they were afraid of drivers having accidents while practicing . our on road supes trained in chicago and they got to play on the skid lot learning how to right a slide or skid and learn about the point of no return ( before a jack knife )

i practiced on every snow night before hitting the main hwy or interstate. it only took 3 or 4 tries and about a minute or two, it was much better knowing what would happen in practice rather learning too late in a real life situation.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was in a different truck everyday kenworth, one day , mack ,then international. Hadnt driven a clutch for 5 yrs and got really frustrated with myself.
you will actually be a better driver in the long run driving different tractors all the time. keeps you sharp and focused.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
not sure if this was mentioned before . before you move with a completed set or a pup or another trailer you pull the hand valve and make sure it holds you. if so then you go forward a little bit and hit the foot brake to make sure it stops you.

this test can save your life. sometimes your air lines are not on right and you will hear air blasting from the connection. then you can correct that either by reconnecting or going to the shop to install new grommets.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I love how the fresh-out-of-dispatch new on-roads get to play on the skid pad while the people who could actually use that training have to learn the hard way

UPSmeoff

I've been practicing backing my 18 foot boat so I no what you mean

I can back my 18 foot boat anywhere I want to.
I thought it would translate to feeders.
It doesn't. Remember you can't look out the back window.
It does help you get to know what way to turn the wheel though.