olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
in california if you are pulling a trailer or boat with a personal vehicle it must have mirrors on both sides.

the longer the trailer like a 53 footer the easier the back. easier to correct. pups go awry faster because they are shorter.

we back double sets to in the back empty lot. that takes a lot of practice. we had a guy who could back doubles onto a door. he was amazing. he also could hook up triples on a door with the tractor at a 90 degree angle because there was only about 3 feet to the opposite wall.

i wish i kept the picture to post it. it was incredible.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
one saturday morning one of our drivers put a set of 5 trailers together and drove around the yard for the fun of it. it looked like a train. they do that legally in some parts of austrailia

funny thing he was on the clock while doing it and did not get in trouble.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If it's cold out and I can't sit in a cab comfortablywith it being off, then it's time to idle. Doesn't matter if it's diesel or LNG

I should clarify that they are leaving the truck running fedex ground style while not in to cab
Wondering if it was lng related

MaceFremonti

in california if you are pulling a trailer or boat with a personal vehicle it must have mirrors on both sides.

the longer the trailer like a 53 footer the easier the back. easier to correct. pups go awry faster because they are shorter.

we back double sets to in the back empty lot. that takes a lot of practice. we had a guy who could back doubles onto a door. he was amazing. he also could hook up triples on a door with the tractor at a 90 degree angle because there was only about 3 feet to the opposite wall.

i wish i kept the picture to post it. it was incredible.

Just about everyone from BURMD can back doubles.:cool:

silenze

Which way do you turn the steering wheel to make the back trailer go to the left (drivers side) while backing?
You turn to the right. But if you hold the steering wheel from the bottom its like your turning to which way you want the trailer to go. Thats how i learned.

trickpony1

Actually.....I meant which way do you turn the wheel, when backing a set, to make the rear trailer go to the left (driver's side).

I'm acquainted with which way to turn it when backing a single.

I'm trying to keep up.....I really am.

silenze

Actually.....I meant which way do you turn the wheel, when backing a set, to make the rear trailer go to the left (driver's side).

I'm acquainted with which way to turn it when backing a single.

I'm trying to keep up.....I really am.
I think its like backing a single.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I think its like backing a single.
with 2 trailers it is not like backing a single. it is like backing a bobtail .it's super tricky because of the dollie. you have to correct before you think you have to if that makes any sense.

you turn the wheel opposite of if you were backing a single .

trickpony1

I'll go to the hardware this weekend and get a piece of logging chain 3 links long.

I will be the driver and will practice backing this logging chain (double trailers) up.

Not sure how it's gonna work.......

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I can back a set straight til the rear trailer starts to go then it's all over. If I ever got in a situation where I had to back a set more than 20-30 feet I'd just break it down. Shifter! Help!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
with 2 trailers it is not like backing a single. it is like backing a bobtail .it's super tricky because of the dollie. you have to correct before you think you have to if that makes any sense.

you turn the wheel opposite of if you were backing a single .

You're correct on having to correct before you think you have to, but it is like backing a single.

You're incorrect on turning opposite of a single.

The rear trailer will turn the same way the front trailer turns.

Turn the wheel to the left. The front trailer will move to the right. The dolly will move to the left. The rear trailer will move to the right, the same direction as the front trailer.

The two trailers move in the same direction and the dolly and tractor move in the same direction.