browndog123

What exactly is giving you trouble? If you're at the right speed for the gear just give it some gas and it should drop right in.
I was in a different truck everyday kenworth, one day , mack ,then international. Hadnt driven a clutch for 5 yrs and got really frustrated with myself.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a 400 rpm difference between gears. When you are slowing down, when you get to 1000 rpm, shift to neutral, blip the throttle to 1400 shift to next gear lower. If you are slowing down rapidly, sometimes it is easier to go down 2 gears at a time.

browndog123

There is a 400 rpm difference between gears. When you are slowing down, when you get to 1000 rpm, shift to neutral, blip the throttle to 1400 shift to next gear lower. If you are slowing down rapidly, sometimes it is easier to go down 2 gears at a time.
Thanks for the assistance

Brown Now

You're going to have to learn how each truck revs. Slow or fast. For an example, the Macks with the MP-7 engines( 271xxx-272xxx) rev quickly but also drop their revs quickly. The Macks with the MP-8 engines (273xxx-278xxx) rev slowly but will also drop their rpms slowly. This will tell you how quick or slow you have to make the down shift.

If you drop down to just say 1000 rpm, you blip the throttle to roughly 1400-1500 rpm and drop down a gear. It should go in at roughly the same pattern for each subsequent gear down. If it's a quick revving engine, that usually means the rpms drop quickly too so you have to down shift rather quickly. Slow revving, you've got a little more time to get it done as the rpms take their time to drop down. It's all in the timing.

You will with time become harmonious with whatever tractor you're driving that day. It'll come to you and besides, manuals are now living on borrowed time to UPS. Every new diesel tractor will now come equipped with an automatic transmission. Not sure about the CNG/LNG tractors.

I've been driving a" big truck" for 25 plus years. Doesn't matter what I'm driving, its second nature. You will get there too before you realize it. Be patient and don't put too much pressure on yourself. You'll get there. Good luck to you and all the guys and gals going thru feeder school.

Brown Now

Also, it's no longer a "gas pedal", it's a "throttle". You no longer are getting "gas", you're getting "fuel". Copy?

Keep the rubber side down, watch out for bears and chicken coops, be careful in the pickle parks late at night and come summertime, don't run over any alligators! [emoji1][emoji106][emoji631]

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Just do it. Asking for a verbal explanation is not going to get it done. That's what makes management so worthless. Get in a rig with a veteran driver and have them demonstrate downshifting in the yard for 5 minutes. Stop whining, start trying. This job is all about repetition and we all had our sticking points to work through. Be a TEAMSTER and overcome this. Your brothers will be willing to help a greenhorn. We were all there, once.

browndog123

You're going to have to learn how each truck revs. Slow or fast. For an example, the Macks with the MP-7 engines( 271xxx-272xxx) rev quickly but also drop their revs quickly. The Macks with the MP-8 engines (273xxx-278xxx) rev slowly but will also drop their rpms slowly. This will tell you how quick or slow you have to make the down shift.

If you drop down to just say 1000 rpm, you blip the throttle to roughly 1400-1500 rpm and drop down a gear. It should go in at roughly the same pattern for each subsequent gear down. If it's a quick revving engine, that usually means the rpms drop quickly too so you have to down shift rather quickly. Slow revving, you've got a little more time to get it done as the rpms take their time to drop down. It's all in the timing.

You will with time become harmonious with whatever tractor you're driving that day. It'll come to you and besides, manuals are now living on borrowed time to UPS. Every new diesel tractor will now come equipped with an automatic transmission. Not sure about the CNG/LNG tractors.

I've been driving a" big truck" for 25 plus years. Doesn't matter what I'm driving, its second nature. You will get there too before you realize it. Be patient and don't put too much pressure on yourself. You'll get there. Good luck to you and all the guys and gals going thru feeder school.
Thanks for the advice.

Indecisi0n

Also, it's no longer a "gas pedal", it's a "throttle". You no longer are getting "gas", you're getting "fuel". Copy?

Keep the rubber side down, watch out for bears and chicken coops, be careful in the pickle parks late at night and come summertime, don't run over any alligators! [emoji1][emoji106][emoji631]
I love pickles. I prefer the thicker ones.

barnyard

KTM rider
I ordered a bunch of gloves from Refrigiwear for winter feeder use. I got them today, on the last day of the only winter week I am doing feeders. Go figure.

Anyways, I bought a pair of coated freezer gloves that will be just the ticket for keeping my hands warm and dry when cranking wet landing gear. Also bought a pair of insulated work gloves that will be perfect for pretripping. They look just like the summer 'farm gloves' that many use, but have leather fingertips and are insulated.

They have a February sale with 20% discount (I think, I don't remember, but it was a nice discount.)

FeeDerp

When it's really cold out, a pair of latex gloves under your work gloves will keep your hands toasty.

Used those alot when on a forklift moving freight

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
i just get the leather gloves on sale at menards for a dollar or 1.50
i throw them out and use a fresh pair every month