Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We've got them stacking up in our back lot, last time I looked there 20+ pups and 7 or 8 long boxes. No indication that they're being fixed anytime soon.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Im better some days than others, but can always accomplish the "hero hook". I still haven't mastered it. I usually have to pull up a few times.

If you're ever in a rental with no pintal hook and cant cowboy it, or just dont feel like it, just ask a shifter to spot the dolly for you.

LOL, you must have never been to Island City, NY before. They're always too busy to spot you a dolly, never too busy to steal one that you've already spotted, though. I can hero every once in a while, but I always try to steer the dolly too fast. I'm working on it, and occasionally I'll hit it, or I'll get it close enough, disconnect the dolly and walk it back. I've put on 30# so far in feeders, so if I jump out to do a little moving, then I'm fine.

UPS4Life

Red bolt means a hot wire lead has been run up to the top of the trailer in preparation for a future uplink/gps unit for the trailers.
Assuming this would be for peak when we have contractors? Wouldn't it just be easier to put a gps transponder in the back in a high value bag and make this a nationwide thing for contractor loads and when they arrive they're removed for a new trailer...... Or would that make too much sense?

Also when I say back I mean high value bag the last wall before the door is closed. Last thing in, first out.

MoarTape

Assuming this would be for peak when we have contractors? Wouldn't it just be easier to put a gps transponder in the back in a high value bag and make this a nationwide thing for contractor loads and when they arrive they're removed for a new trailer...... Or would that make too much sense?

Also when I say back I mean high value bag the last wall before the door is closed. Last thing in, first out.

That would never work. They barely know what to do with a house mail bag. And by barely, I mean they have no clue.

EasyTrucker

Yup, set that cruise control, set your jake brake, and then use your trolly brakes. You should only need to move your feet if you need to stop somewhat suddenly. I hardly use my feet anymore while driving
You should probably delete this asap. If your telematics shows you pulling the trolley brake at anytime while you're in motion, you will be terminated on the spot! You won't get your job back either, unless you can prove you were coming down an icy mountain and your rear trailer was sliding out on you!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You should probably delete this asap. If your telematics shows you pulling the trolley brake at anytime while you're in motion, you will be terminated on the spot! You won't get your job back either, unless you can prove you were coming down an icy mountain and your rear trailer was sliding out on you!

Good to know. My telematics must be busted then, I've been doing this for a minute, since another buddy showed me it

MaceFremonti

I HAVE come down an icy mountain and had my rear trailer slide out, luckily I was driving an old Sterling that used to be on a mileage run somewhere and it did not have a limiter.....I just punched it and pulled that sumbitch straight....then I pulled over as soon as it was safe and changed my underwear!

UPS4Life

I HAVE come down an icy mountain and had my rear trailer slide out, luckily I was driving an old Sterling that used to be on a mileage run somewhere and it did not have a limiter.....I just punched it and pulled that sumbitch straight....then I pulled over as soon as it was safe and changed my underwear!
That's my biggest fear about driving in bad conditions, you're governed with speed. Before anyone jumps on my case that is not saying I'm trying to run 67 and need more in snow. If you've ever driven a "newer" mack you will know that 9th gear is limited to roughly 57mph so if weather is bad, 9th may be your preferred gear at lower speeds and if you need acceleration you don't have it.

EasyTrucker

Been there twice, once was able to accelerate out the other I prefer not to say as I stated earlier, but was able to save both. As we say here, both times had an extremely high pucker value!.......lol

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We've got a Sup running around telling drivers they HAVE TO take at least half of their meal at their furthest destination. Is that true, or just as long as it's before the 8th hour (per dot)? I don't have my contract on me now and just need some insight, thanks.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
ARTICLE 51 - MEAL PERIOD
For full-time employees the meal period shall be one (1) hour which
may be divided between a forty-five (45) minute lunch period and
fifteen (15) minute coffee break except for inside employees, said
coffee break to be taken between the second and third hour. Fulltime
inside employees shall be entitled to a one (1) hour lunch period
of which fifteen (15) minutes must be taken between the second
and third hour, unless otherwise mutually agreed to between the
Local Union and the Company.

Meal periods shall be taken between the fourth and sixth hours on
duty, except:
1. In case of equipment breakdown; and
2. Where no place to eat is accessible, the meal period is to be
mutually agreed to.

Tractor Trailer drivers may elect to break their meal period into
three (3) parts as follows:
A fifteen (15) minute coffee break to be taken between the second
and third hour, a thirty (30) minute meal period after he has reached
his destination point and fifteen (15) minute coffee break on his
return run. It is understood that if a driver is not delayed at his destination
point the driver is entitled to make a thirty (30) minute meal
stop and a fifteen (15) minute break on his return trip.
Tractor-trailer drivers who are bid on runs with “hot” loads will
have their schedule reviewed at bid time and will have all options
available to them explained. After making their choice, such drivers
will retain this schedule which necessitates a change.
Other tractor-trailer drivers will have all options made available but
will be allowed to change the ten (10) minute relief period to any of
the other option segments provided they are able to do so and make
their scheduled run.
The above shall apply in all cases, even when the employee is
delayed by the Company.

govols019

You smell that?
From the Southern:

(C) Meal Period - Feeder: Feeder drivers shall not be required to take more than thirty (30) minutes of their meal period at any turn point. Feeder drivers will be allowed thirty (30) minutes of their meal period to be taken in route while on the road. Such thirty (30) minutes may be split at the designation of the Employer.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
From the Southern:

(C) Meal Period - Feeder: Feeder drivers shall not be required to take more than thirty (30) minutes of their meal period at any turn point. Feeder drivers will be allowed thirty (30) minutes of their meal period to be taken in route while on the road. Such thirty (30) minutes may be split at the designation of the Employer.

So, if I'm getting it right from what you and Jones posted, I would HAVE to take 30 minutes at my TA point, even though it's tight, crappy, and you can't find a good spot to nap? They just can't make me take MORE than 30 minutes?

Sucks, but I'm glad to know the deal.

Thanks

MaceFremonti

I know a few guys who used to sit at their T/A for three hours and not burn ANY meal. They would leave, drive fifteen minutes, then take thirty meal, drive another twenty minutes, take thirty meal, drive twenty minutes, take ten break....the hammer has come down on that practice recently though.