Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We are told:
Set in-2-1
Set out-2-1
Build it,break it,whatever
Single in-out-1-0
That's basically what everyone does around here. I have never heard that you automatically get credit for your lead trailer, that's a new one to me. It also sounds like this is something that management really cares about in other places while around here it's pretty much a non issue. It was covered very briefly in my training and I haven't heard peep about it since.

EasyTrucker

I don't falsify records for anyone. If I pull 2 trailers, it's 2 and 1. If I pull one trailer, it's 1 and 0. Why should I care what their numbers mean on a report?

MoarTape

I was told if I drop a set without breaking it, it's 1 and 0. Inbounding a set and breaking it, or leaving with a set, whether I built it or not, has always been 2 and 1.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't falsify records for anyone. If I pull 2 trailers, it's 2 and 1. If I pull one trailer, it's 1 and 0. Why should I care what their numbers mean on a report?

I don't falsify records either.

Here we are told that if we break down 2 or hook 2, it is 1 and 1

If we only drop 1 or hook to 1 it is 0 and 0.

We are told that the time allowance always gives us credit for 1, so if we break them down, it is 1 and 1 and the software then gives us the time credit for handling 2 trailers and 1 dolly.

If we put in 0 and 0, we get the time credit for handling 1 trailer.

BTW, we always did it your way, 2 and 1 until about 2 years ago. We were instructed to do it this new way.

I am not saying you are right, or that I am right.

I am just working as instructed and am told that the software auromatically gives us credit for 1 on top of what we key in, unless bobtailing.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If I crank the landing gear on it, I count is as one.

They have threatened disciplinary action here for drivers that do not do it the way we are instructed to.

Break a set down, it is 1 and 1.

Key in 2 and 1 and we will receive a failure to follow warning letter.

I work as instructed.

lowats

Since we don't have our own section I thought I would post this for anyone with Feeder questions.

What's our schedule like? What did it take to qualify? Why do we get so fat? How do we stay awake on the road? What does the Dispatcher do? What do the On-roads do? Why does the Company subcontract Feeder work? What is the pay like? What do mileage runs pay? What's a layover? What's a gladhand? What's a button hook? Why are you guys so slow on the road? What happens in high winds/snow/hard rain/if you hit a deer?

Any question is up for discussion. If you need specific information to your area be sure to post where that is as Feeder work rules vary quite a bit by location (and we are always arguing about the work rules).

Hi first time poster here...

basically i need advice, I'm 21 with my CDL class A with Tankers/Hazmat/Doubles&Triples endorsement. i work for the largest hub in indianapolis & have been a part time package handler here for 3 years. I really want to go into feeders and since may 2015 (when i got my CDL) i check our board for feeder listings constantly. since i have had my CDL there has only been seasonal feeder positions open to only combo/package car drivers. I called HR talked to the hiring manager for Feeders & was told she "is waiting on the okay" to go ahead and open up a few more spots, but if she doesn't get approval within a week, there will be none opened up to part timers. During the day i have another part time job driving semis for another company. Currently my plan is to wait a year to November 2016 and if I'm not driving by then to possibly leave. I need advice because i don't want to leave but seeing all these other truck jobs that pay a 60k a year is so tempting. i know in the long run UPS would pay more but I'm tired of making crap pay. What would u recommend? I've heard of drivers at our hub that go to other companies then come back as a seasonal feeder and get kept on. If i do wait it out can i apply to be a seasonal feeder once I've got 2 years experience? thank you for your time reading this and any advice that you give...[

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
21 years old, with 3 years seniority and have experience driving an 18 wheeler and already have your endorsements? You have it all going your way. I believe you've made all the right decisions so far. Just stay in HR's ear, keep an eye on the bid board (they have no obligation to let you know when something is up for bid). Sleeper team drivers in my building make $120,000/year+, not counting benefits. Bide your time. Don't get antsy and throw away a 6-figure job, Grasshopper.

Brown Now

21 years old, with 3 years seniority and have experience driving an 18 wheeler and already have your endorsements? You have it all going your way. I believe you've made all the right decisions so far. Just stay in HR's ear, keep an eye on the bid board (they have no obligation to let you know when something is up for bid). Sleeper team drivers in my building make $120,000/year+, not counting benefits. Bide your time. Don't get antsy and throw away a 6-figure job, Grasshopper.

X2. Stick it out and keep getting your experience on the side with someone else's truck. Stay on top of them. You already have a foot in the door. Bend the right ears.

EasyTrucker

You can make over $100,000/year without doing sleeper team. Your problem is lack of seniority. Sometimes the wait for feeders is over 20 years. Ask around your building to find out how long others have waited. I know 2 years ago we were hiring off the street and from part timers, because no one in delivery wanted to work nights. Now, we are back to hiring guys that have been in delivery 10-20 years.

lowats

Ik, a female driver who made it in about the same amount of time I currently have, I believe she was there for 3-4 years. Another person who made driver last peak she was there 8 years. It seems pretty random. But Ik they hire seasonals off the street constantly from summer to peak.
Does anyone have any advice about US freight? We've got openings for CDL drivers for them here in Indianapolis as well.
Yeah our non team drivers make a minimum of 90k at my hub (top pay that is) I've seen 1 guy make 115k doing mileage runs

moldsporh

Hi first time poster here...

basically i need advice, I'm 21 with my CDL class A with Tankers/Hazmat/Doubles&Triples endorsement. i work for the largest hub in indianapolis & have been a part time package handler here for 3 years. I really want to go into feeders and since may 2015 (when i got my CDL) i check our board for feeder listings constantly. since i have had my CDL there has only been seasonal feeder positions open to only combo/package car drivers. I called HR talked to the hiring manager for Feeders & was told she "is waiting on the okay" to go ahead and open up a few more spots, but if she doesn't get approval within a week, there will be none opened up to part timers. During the day i have another part time job driving semis for another company. Currently my plan is to wait a year to November 2016 and if I'm not driving by then to possibly leave. I need advice because i don't want to leave but seeing all these other truck jobs that pay a 60k a year is so tempting. i know in the long run UPS would pay more but I'm tired of making crap pay. What would u recommend? I've heard of drivers at our hub that go to other companies then come back as a seasonal feeder and get kept on. If i do wait it out can i apply to be a seasonal feeder once I've got 2 years experience? thank you for your time reading this and any advice that you give...[

Here's the deal with feeders, there's ALOT of seniority there, 3 years is basically nothing, and you are a few years from stepping up from "nothing". Are you dependent on making 45 hrs per week or more, have large bills? You may not work a few days, and this is what puzzles me and this should be addressed, but UPS should have a larger qualified list and rotate days to be on call. This would give the junior guys a chance to go back to delivery maybe 3 to 4 times a week and have one day where they must remain "on call" and not be allowed to be in delivery.

The problem is, if UPS needs a feeder driver and they sent too many to delivery on the Q list, then they have no one to cover....so this I understand. If they had more qualified drivers, they could easily send them into delivery while keeping a couple on call......and everyone gets paid.

So understand, that you may not work and this could be all week.

If you want to be a feeder driver, with your seniority, I would HIGHLY recommend and even REQUIRE you, if you aren't there already...is to not have any debt with credit cards, car payment, maybe a SMALL rent or mortgage until you can establish yourself in feeders with 5 days of work. Trust me, you could easily lose most of your $$$$ with low seniority.

lowats

Here's the deal with feeders, there's ALOT of seniority there, 3 years is basically nothing, and you are a few years from stepping up from "nothing". Are you dependent on making 45 hrs per week or more, have large bills? You may not work a few days, and this is what puzzles me and this should be addressed, but UPS should have a larger qualified list and rotate days to be on call. This would give the junior guys a chance to go back to delivery maybe 3 to 4 times a week and have one day where they must remain "on call" and not be allowed to be in delivery.

The problem is, if UPS needs a feeder driver and they sent too many to delivery on the Q list, then they have no one to cover....so this I understand. If they had more qualified drivers, they could easily send them into delivery while keeping a couple on call......and everyone gets paid.

If you want to be a feeder driver, with your seniority, I would HIGHLY recommend and even REQUIRE you, if you aren't there already...is to not have any debt with credit cards, car payment, maybe a SMALL rent or mortgage until you can establish yourself in feeders with 5 days of work. Trust me, you could easily lose most of your $$$$ with low seniority.

I understand that I've got low seniority, however on my shift (Night) I'm the only part timer that ik of in the building with a CDL license let alone experience. & my biggest thing Is I can't wait years on end to make driver. Cause if I've gotta wait 2 years I can do that but if I've gotta wait 10 years forget it, I can go to Old Dominion & make just as much if I've gotta wait that long.
No I have 0 debt, no credit cards, still live at home with parents. Eventually though I'd like to move on with my life, (get married, have kids, move out obviously,).
It looks like I'm getting offered Saturday Air, however I'm not sure if I'll take it because I'd have to switch to preload & I don't think preload will allow me to leave on time for my 2nd job of driving semis...which ultimately is what I'd rather do.
Like I said it's just hard when with a split sleep schedule making only 30k a year with 2 jobs, where I could leave & go to another company work, 1 job, & make 60k+.
Any & all advice is appreciated
Thank you

lowats

Oh & as far as the on call stuff ik about it, but every new driver that I've talked too said it's less than a year & they've gotten their own route...