EasyTrucker

I understand that I've got low seniority, however on my shift (Night) I'm the only part timer that ik of in the building with a CDL license let alone experience. & my biggest thing Is I can't wait years on end to make driver. Cause if I've gotta wait 2 years I can do that but if I've gotta wait 10 years forget it, I can go to Old Dominion & make just as much if I've gotta wait that long.
No I have 0 debt, no credit cards, still live at home with parents. Eventually though I'd like to move on with my life, (get married, have kids, move out obviously,).
It looks like I'm getting offered Saturday Air, however I'm not sure if I'll take it because I'd have to switch to preload & I don't think preload will allow me to leave on time for my 2nd job of driving semis...which ultimately is what I'd rather do.
Like I said it's just hard when with a split sleep schedule making only 30k a year with 2 jobs, where I could leave & go to another company work, 1 job, & make 60k+.
Any & all advice is appreciated
Thank you
If Old Dominion is hiring, I would definitely go with them and never look back. I know guys that work there and they absolutely love it.

P

pickup

21 years old, with 3 years seniority and have experience driving an 18 wheeler and already have your endorsements? You have it all going your way. .

I agree with retiredTxfeeder, Original Poster, my hat is off to you
I understand that I've got low seniority, however on my shift (Night) I'm the only part timer that ik of in the building with a CDL license let alone experience. & my biggest thing Is I can't wait years on end to make driver. Cause if I've gotta wait 2 years I can do that but if I've gotta wait 10 years forget it, I can go to Old Dominion & make just as much if I've gotta wait that long.
No I have 0 debt, no credit cards, still live at home with parents. Eventually though I'd like to move on with my life, (get married, have kids, move out obviously,).
It looks like I'm getting offered Saturday Air, however I'm not sure if I'll take it because I'd have to switch to preload & I don't think preload will allow me to leave on time for my 2nd job of driving semis...which ultimately is what I'd rather do.
Like I said it's just hard when with a split sleep schedule making only 30k a year with 2 jobs, where I could leave & go to another company work, 1 job, & make 60k+.
Any & all advice is appreciated
Thank you

I don't know all of your circumstances, preferences, etc. But let me throw this out there: First, I agree with a few other posters here, Good for you man. 21 and a cdl with some experience on it ( how much ?, I don't know) but you probably at the very least have all the basics and fundamentals down pat.

2ndly, Consider taking that air driving job on Saturdays, maybe you could still hold on to that other job , but if you can't . You already have some experience, no one can take that away from you. Maybe you can get another semi job shifting trailers in a yard for a few hours a day. (Just make sure that job or any other does not affect your HOS hours in regard to driving on saturday). Then bid into a package car driver job. You're young and you already hump boxes and you will already know how to use the DIAD . Just watch the tail swing of that straight truck (that is less worrisome with a semi, issue is still there depending on how far the rear tandem is from the back of the trailer).

And then bid into package, from what you told me, full time or combo can bid into feeders. This scenario might pay off for you in a few years. 25 years old and driving a feeder truck/trailer is a very enviable situation.

So, I know you gave yourself time to think about this. And you notice no one is giving you a hard time, questioning your work ethic, or anything else about you. That's because we all think you're really following a good path.

Let's take a look at old Dominion, as far as I know , they are headquartered in Virginia and are an interstate trucking outfit. As far as I know, based on a conversation with a few Old Dominion drivers, the drivers don't make any extra per hour when going past 40 hours. They can get away with this because it is an INTERstate outfit. UPS could get away with this if we didn't have a union, a word that is a big big no no with Old Dominion.

Take a look at the over the over the road carriers that drop stuff in our facilities. If you look hard enough at the surrounding area of your hub. You'll see their trucks parked in the corner of a parking lot of a building that is for rent. Perhaps you'll see a few of the drivers as they walk about. Do you want to end up like that? (God bless them but that job turns them into that). Drivers also tend to lie about the money they make or they forget to mention how many hours it took to get that amount( divide the money by the hours and a minimum wage job looks very tempting) . And recruiters for trucking companies lie about the money you will make. I wonder how many hours you need to work a week to make 1200 a week(about 60 grand) at Old Dominion, especially considering Old Dominion doesn't pay time and 1/2 on hours past 40. I wonder how many years it takes to get to top rate at Old Dominion.

Things to think about. It's good that you've done all the things you've done and it's good you asked us. Ultimately the decision is yours.

You mentioned US freight. I looked it up, seems like they primarily hire owner operators, maybe they hire their own drivers for local, or yard work. That's about as much as I know about them. My radar says stay away from them.

EasyTrucker

Old Dominion does pay overtime! Check out glassdoor.com and read the mostly glowing reviews that their employees leave there. I've never met an Old Dominion driver who didn't love their job. You'll work a ton of hours, but you'll do that at UPS also. If you don't have time to wait for UPS feeders, the choice is easy. And they are right up there with us for pay.

moldsporh

You could also get into delivery full time and after 4 years ypu would be making prob north of 75 to 80K.

Then worry about feeders, but in delivery you need patience and big shoulders....it's labor intensive and a big mind friend%$&.

At 21, you could get into delivery..hopefly, and retire at 51 with full pension.....some only go 25 years and at 46 years old would be sweet.

By the time you hit 25 years, you could pick a nice feeder run, maybe even a day run and coast to 30 yrs.

Think about your life, retirement planning, and life after retirement.....you're not getting younger.

P

pickup

Old Dominion does pay overtime! Check out glassdoor.com and read the mostly glowing reviews that their employees leave there. I've never met an Old Dominion driver who didn't love their job. You'll work a ton of hours, but you'll do that at UPS also. If you don't have time to wait for UPS feeders, the choice is easy. And they are right up there with us for pay.

I tried scanning through glass door quickly but i keep seeing management and office workers posts there. I did google" does old dominion pay overtime?" and found some things that support my case. They just lost a lawsuit regarding their overtime practices and I saw a couple of things on teamster net that says they only pay time and 1/2 after 60 hours. But that was posted a few years ago.

So I honestly don't know. I suppose it is up to the original poster to find out firsthand.

P

pickup

You could also get into delivery full time and after 4 years ypu would be making prob north of 75 to 80K.

Then worry about feeders, but in delivery you need patience and big shoulders....it's labor intensive and a big mind friend%$&.

At 21, you could get into delivery..hopefly, and retire at 51 with full pension.....some only go 25 years and at 46 years old would be sweet.

By the time you hit 25 years, you could pick a nice feeder run, maybe even a day run and coast to 30 yrs.

Think about your life, retirement planning, and life after retirement.....you're not getting younger.

Like you implied, he makes his wage scale progression in delivery and comes into feeders at top rate.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I tried scanning through glass door quickly but i keep seeing management and office workers posts there. I did google" does old dominion pay overtime?" and found some things that support my case. They just lost a lawsuit regarding their overtime practices and I saw a couple of things on teamster net that says they only pay time and 1/2 after 60 hours. But that was posted a few years ago.

So I honestly don't know. I suppose it is up to the original poster to find out firsthand.
I'm guessing it depends on whether you're on a line haul run getting paid by the mile or a local run getting paid by the hour.

lowats

I don't know all of your circumstances, preferences, etc. But let me throw this out there: First, I agree with a few other posters here, Good for you man. 21 and a cdl with some experience on it ( how much ?, I don't know) but you probably at the very least have all the basics and fundamentals down pat.

2ndly, Consider taking that air driving job on Saturdays, maybe you could still hold on to that other job , but if you can't . You already have some experience, no one can take that away from you. Maybe you can get another semi job shifting trailers in a yard for a few hours a day. (Just make sure that job or any other does not affect your HOS hours in regard to driving on saturday). Then bid into a package car driver job. You're young and you already hump boxes and you will already know how to use the DIAD . Just watch the tail swing of that straight truck (that is less worrisome with a semi, issue is still there depending on how far the rear tandem is from the back of the trailer).

And then bid into package, from what you told me, full time or combo can bid into feeders. This scenario might pay off for you in a few years. 25 years old and driving a feeder truck/trailer is a very enviable situation.

So, I know you gave yourself time to think about this. And you notice no one is giving you a hard time, questioning your work ethic, or anything else about you. That's because we all think you're really following a good path.

Let's take a look at old Dominion, as far as I know , they are headquartered in Virginia and are an interstate trucking outfit. As far as I know, based on a conversation with a few Old Dominion drivers, the drivers don't make any extra per hour when going past 40 hours. They can get away with this because it is an INTERstate outfit. UPS could get away with this if we didn't have a union, a word that is a big big no no with Old Dominion.

Take a look at the over the over the road carriers that drop stuff in our facilities. If you look hard enough at the surrounding area of your hub. You'll see their trucks parked in the corner of a parking lot of a building that is for rent. Perhaps you'll see a few of the drivers as they walk about. Do you want to end up like that? (God bless them but that job turns them into that). Drivers also tend to lie about the money they make or they forget to mention how many hours it took to get that amount( divide the money by the hours and a minimum wage job looks very tempting) . And recruiters for trucking companies lie about the money you will make. I wonder how many hours you need to work a week to make 1200 a week(about 60 grand) at Old Dominion, especially considering Old Dominion doesn't pay time and 1/2 on hours past 40. I wonder how many years it takes to get to top rate at Old Dominion.

Things to think about. It's good that you've done all the things you've done and it's good you asked us. Ultimately the decision is yours.

You mentioned US freight. I looked it up, seems like they primarily hire owner operators, maybe they hire their own drivers for local, or yard work. That's about as much as I know about them. My radar says stay away from them.

Thanks everyone for their advice, I've decided if I can get that air driving Job for Saturday & they'll let me leave in time I'll do it. But if it doesn't work out imma have the managers of my shift & preload sign a letter stating that I can switch back to nights if it doesn't work out & reclaim my same things that I do (early setup, walkout belts). That Saturday air is part time, it's you work preload like normal during the week then on Saturday you do delivery. Does anyone know the progression for Saturday air? Say I do that for 2 years or whatever & I make X amount does X amount carry over if I get put in package car?
With regards package car, I'd much rather do feeders but if I got offered it I'd take it, I've done 2 peak seasons as a driver helper so I kinda have an idea of how it works, I've ran a DIAD before. First time I did driver helper was during 2013 peak which was a nightmare at my hub... Also all of my drivers loved my because I was fast and efficient at helping. Do Air drivers( Saturday of PM) do they trump part timers on bids regardless if it's feeders or package car?
Also I meant UPS freight earlier not US freight lol

Again thank you so much for everyone's help. I hope no one thinks I'm an A hole, I just wanted to get out everything that ik out there.

lowats

When I took my CDL class to get my license we had an OLD DOM driver and hub dispatcher talk to us. They offer local runs and runs where you are home every night not out all the time. They confirmed with me that with the home every night (working 60 hours a week) your first year you'll make 60k with it progressing. The driver who talked to us had been there 4 years was making 110k driving to IL every night & back.

I really don't wanna leave UPS but I like to look at my other options.
I've also considered Pepsi & Crown Liquors

EasyTrucker

Yeah the lawsuit was in 2011, I think, and they have been paying overtime at time and a half since, as far as I was told by drivers. Old Dominion is loved on the Twisted Trucker Facebook page too. Whenever people ask about best LTL companies to work for, UPS, UPS Freight and Old Dominion are the clear favorites......lol

azupser

Anyone hear of ups creating more sleeper teams to try to get away from rail service, while improving time in transit?

Last edited:

Josh_

Thanks everyone for their advice, I've decided if I can get that air driving Job for Saturday & they'll let me leave in time I'll do it. But if it doesn't work out imma have the managers of my shift & preload sign a letter stating that I can switch back to nights if it doesn't work out & reclaim my same things that I do (early setup, walkout belts). That Saturday air is part time, it's you work preload like normal during the week then on Saturday you do delivery. .

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, got my CDL w/ Haz,Double,Tanker from comm college. I too looked at Old Dominion; instructor know "Linehaul Manager" there, submit app (hard copy) to him the same day i got my CDL.
Apply at UPS as a "Seasonal Package Delivery Driver" (on Sunday, interview on TH, road test on FRI) probably will start in early OCT, I love the streamline/efficientcy UPS has to jobs applicants.

I'm clueless....but once I become permanent, can I bid on Feeder position at another location/Hubs? MY location(OREM) is a suburb of Salt Lake City; SLC is where most of Feeder positions will be.

Last edited:
P

pickup

When I took my CDL class to get my license we had an OLD DOM driver and hub dispatcher talk to us. They offer local runs and runs where you are home every night not out all the time. They confirmed with me that with the home every night (working 60 hours a week) your first year you'll make 60k with it progressing. The driver who talked to us had been there 4 years was making 110k driving to IL every night & back.

I really don't wanna leave UPS but I like to look at my other options.
I've also considered Pepsi & Crown Liquors

I have two questions and they're pretty much the same ones. I am being serious here.

If Old Dominion is really close to the top of the heap, why are they going around to trucking schools to try to recruit? They wouldn't need to bottom feed like that if their jobs were truly coveted. I assumed that they showed up at your cdl school.

And okay, let's say : Old Dominion is a trucking company that drivers want to work at. I would then assume that there when there is an opening , that there would be guys would a lot more experience under their belts than you have, getting first crack at that job before they would offer it to a guy , who AT THE MOST, theoretically, has 3 years experience.

No digs at you, Original Poster.

lowats

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, got my CDL w/ Haz,Double,Tanker from comm college. I too looked at Old Dominion; instructor know "Linehaul Manager" there, submit app (hard copy) to him the same day i got my CDL.
Apply at UPS as a "Seasonal Package Delivery Driver" (on Sunday, interview on TH, road test on FRI) probably will start in early OCT, I love the streamline/efficientcy UPS has to jobs applicants.

I'm clueless....but once I become permanent, can I bid on Feeder position at another location/Hubs? MY location(OREM) is a suburb of Salt Lake City; SLC is where most of Feeder positions will be.

I've always been told that transferring when you're full time is a nightmare & almost impossible. Because I looked into transferring from Indianapolis to Clearwater FL.

lowats

I have two questions and they're pretty much the same ones. I am being serious here.

If Old Dominion is really close to the top of the heap, why are they going around to trucking schools to try to recruit? They wouldn't need to bottom feed like that if their jobs were truly coveted. I assumed that they showed up at your cdl school.

And okay, let's say : Old Dominion is a trucking company that drivers want to work at. I would then assume that there when there is an opening , that there would be guys would a lot more experience under their belts than you have, getting first crack at that job before they would offer it to a guy , who AT THE MOST, theoretically, has 3 years experience.

No digs at you, Original Poster.

Well my CDL class had around 20 different recruiters come in. All of the recruiters personally knew my instructor & had hired his students before including Old Dom. Only reason I can come up with. We had Ryder, Schneider, Old Dom, FedEx, Conway, YRC, & a lot of local companies come through. I was told UPS is considered #1 & Old Dom is #2 with YRC being #3.
Does anyone know since I'm union in the hub can I apply to UPS freight since they are hiring?
Thank you guys again for the feedback

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I've always been told that transferring when you're full time is a nightmare & almost impossible. Because I looked into transferring from Indianapolis to Clearwater FL.
Well my CDL class had around 20 different recruiters come in. All of the recruiters personally knew my instructor & had hired his students before including Old Dom. Only reason I can come up with. We had Ryder, Schneider, Old Dom, FedEx, Conway, YRC, & a lot of local companies come through. I was told UPS is considered #1 & Old Dom is #2 with YRC being #3.
Does anyone know since I'm union in the hub can I apply to UPS freight since they are hiring?
Nope. If you were seasonal, yes. But as a permanent employee, you are pretty much locked out of applying to any other division; such as UPS Freight or Cartage Services Inc.

Last edited:

lowats

Transfers as a FT driver are only re

Nope. If you were seasonal, yes. But as a permanent employee, you are pretty much locked out of applying to any other division; such as UPS Freight or Cartage Services Inc.

That's dumb but Ok lol.

Unsure what you said of transfers it cut off... thanks for the info

McGee

Slightly off-topic:

I just heard Conway was bought out by XPO Logistics... not sure if that's a good or bad thing...