Barnes and Noble

yeldarb

With all the new B&N volume, those with the store on their route in my blog, had to sign a paper stating we will get a signature and were shown pictures of piles of boxes that drivers just dumped out of their cars and left outside off of ups property. Who does that and does anyone have any more info on that crap happening? Seeing the pictures was just embarrassing that we have some drivers who don't realize we work for the customer. Why do some drivers act like they are being put out if they have to deliver boxes?

rod

Retired 22 years
With all the new B&N volume, those with the store on their route in my blog, had to sign a paper stating we will get a signature and were shown pictures of piles of boxes that drivers just dumped out of their cars and left outside off of ups property. Who does that and does anyone have any more info on that crap happening? Seeing the pictures was just embarrassing that we have some drivers who don't realize we work for the customer. Why do some drivers act like they are being put out if they have to deliver boxes?

New to UPS aren't you.

rod

Retired 22 years
I see I got a "disagree". I didn't say what was going on was right---just that that was the way things have gotten in the last few years (run,run,run,hurry,hurry,hurry,faster,faster,faster)------except maybe not in the BOG.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You didn't have to sign squat.

Had this very same discussion with one of our on-cars last week. We were asked to sign a NDA certification and one of our drivers put RTS on his. We both agreed that regardless of whether you sign it or not you will still be expected to comply with whatever directive or policy change is on that piece of paper. He further stated that if you went to panel and they opened your discipline file and showed all of these "RTS's" that it would make you look like less than a model employee.

Pooter

Seeing the pictures was just embarrassing that we have some drivers who don't realize we work for the customer. Why do some drivers act like they are being put out if they have to deliver boxes?

Although I don't condone such behavior, I can see how one person can "snap" and do such things.

All it takes is a customer slow to open the dock door + heavy bulk to start building the frustration meter. Add X amount of stops left and.....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Had this very same discussion with one of our on-cars last week. We were asked to sign a NDA certification and one of our drivers put RTS on his. We both agreed that regardless of whether you sign it or not you will still be expected to comply with whatever directive or policy change is on that piece of paper. He further stated that if you went to panel and they opened your discipline file and showed all of these "RTS's" that it would make you look like less than a model employee.
First part agree second not likely. It's an outside contract agreement and it's in the contract that you aren't expected to sign.

Glad your on car knows Union policies so well

barnyard

KTM rider
I have not delivered to a B&N in years, but if I had to guess, I would bet a driver rang the bell and started unloading, rang the bell again, kept on unloading. Went around to the front and asked if someone could go back and open the door. Clerk said, "No, the receiving guy called in sick." Our guy said, "eff it" and left the pile.

I did have the almost same thing happen one time. I told them that everything was unloaded and if I had to put it back in the truck, it was all going to be sent back to the shipper marked, "refused." By the time I got to the back door, it had magically opened and there was magically someone there to accept them.

Back when I ran the route that delivered to the B&N, they always seemed surprised to see the huge amount of deliveries. It was like they thought their inventory was placed by elves in the middle of the night. Even though they got almost all their deliveries at about the same time, they NEVER had anyone in back, we regularly had to walk around to the front to get someone to unlock the back door.

edited to add. If I were presented with a photo like that to sign, I would also add: Manager at B&N agrees that there will be a receiver at the door within 2 minutes of ringing, failure to do so will be construed as a refusal and items will be returned to shipper. Hand it back and make them sign it too.

km3

Back when I ran the route that delivered to the B&N, they always seemed surprised to see the huge amount of deliveries. It was like they thought their inventory was placed by elves in the middle of the night

A lot of it is probably dictated by corporate. My first year as a helper, I was on a mall route, and I had to deliver 2 dozen packages to a calendar kiosk every single day. The woman that ran the kiosk apologized to me almost every day, saying she doesn't order any of it--they just send it automatically. Makes sense that B&N would do that with popular items.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A lot of it is probably dictated by corporate. My first year as a helper, I was on a mall route, and I had to deliver 2 dozen packages to a calendar kiosk every single day. The woman that ran the kiosk apologized to me almost every day, saying she doesn't order any of it--they just send it automatically. Makes sense that B&N would do that with popular items.

I'm sure they use a POP inventory system.

yeldarb

Barnes and nobles volume increase has something to do with its supplier. Our stores are all getting 100-250 boxes that weigh 40-50 pounds a piece. Those drivers were given the option to start early with a separate car for just that bulk stop.

ManInBrown

I did have the almost same thing happen one time. I told them that everything was unloaded and if I had to put it back in the truck, it was all going to be sent back to the shipper marked, "refused." By the time I got to the back door, it had magically opened and there was magically someone there to accept them.

I'm shocked that whoever you spoke to cared. I find that nowadays lower level employees couldn't care less if you tell them everything will be RTS. It's rather annoying but it is what it is

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Although I don't condone such behavior, I can see how one person can "snap" and do such things.
All it takes is a customer slow to open the dock door + heavy bulk to start building the frustration meter. Add X amount of stops left and.....
Truth! I have a Dick's Sporting Goods along my route for PU. Some days I'll have no more stops left, and other days I'll have upwards of 50. I am ridiculous with my horn in front of the store. I make eye contact with someone inside at the front register which is also the customer service counter. I drive around back to their door and 9 times out of 10 I STILL have to use my personal phone to make a phone call. I don't want to out there in the dark delivering like anyone else so the stressometer is already rising when I start honking the horn. I have often wanted to just leave an info-notice with "pickup attempted" checked off and go, but I love this job so I suck it up and do it the right way.

Barnes and nobles volume increase has something to do with its supplier. Our stores are all getting 100-250 boxes that weigh 40-50 pounds a piece. Those drivers were given the option to start early with a separate car for just that bulk stop.
We're never given the option to start early due to NDA. We leave when everyone else does - after the PCM and the shuttles are empty.
I also have a Barnes & Noble. I wouldn't complain so much myself, because at least this guy opens the door and helps pull the packages off the car - there isn't a dock. He's always there and he is always polite as well as helpful. He even sometimes makes remarks about the fact the its loaded in the front by the bulkhead. Last week I had 217 packages and he shook his head wondering why it wasn't delivered by a box-truck or freight.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Why do some drivers act like they are being put out if they have to deliver boxes?
Maybe they feel entitled? Our job description is in our logo. SERVICE. I agree with you there. Some drivers would gladly, yet reluctantly due to the amount of volume - take that stop because it's work and they'll be paid.