Beard/mustache/goatee

!Retired!

A while back (forgot exactly when), FedEx changed its policy on whether you can have a beard/mustache/goatee and I have had a goatee since then. I recently started to grow my goatee longer. One of the managers commented that it was to long and shouldn't be more than 1". Thing is, mine very thick and you can't see my chin. making it look longer than it is (I measured it, 1" exactly). I told him I would like to grow it to 2", but if the policy says 1", so be it...1" it is. I asked for a copy of the policy, but haven't heard anything yet.

Can anyone quote or tell me what the policy actually is, or the policy number so I can see myself?

McFeely

Huge Member
Can anyone quote or tell me what the policy actually is, or the policy number so I can see myself?

I remember our manager mentioning to us a change in the policy, but I have yet to see anything in writing about it. IIRC, he told us .5" was the limit but I grow my beard longer than that and nobody has said anything.

In other words, I'm no help here.

Our manager doesn't seem to care much. We have 2 guys with big beards. I swear I saw a squirrel jump in one guys beard to hide a nut. One of the guys wears ear rings and has his hair in a ponytail. Our SM comes in often and will fuss over a white logo on the shoe or there is too gray (not black enough) rather than appearance.

542thruNthru

Reading this it makes me laugh how at ups people complain about no beards. Just reading this thread you can see why they have that policy. To many people take advantage of it. Yet most will never understand why they can't have a nice neat beard.

rod

Retired 22 years
I knew when I was drafted the Army wouldn't allow me to keep my long hair.

I knew when I signed on at UPS long hair and beards weren't allowed.

I have a hard time understanding what the problem is. Get a job elsewhere if you don't like the standards. Plenty of others will conform.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It wouldn't define me but I wouldn't mind having the option to have a neatly trimmed goatee or beard.
The problem is, it starts out that way and management gets lax and it ends up with half the guys looking like ZZTop. Happened at my station. One guy had a shaved head and a beard halfway down his chest trimmed into a V. A few other guys have gnarly thick beards that look awful.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The problem is, it starts out that way and management gets lax and it ends up with half the guys looking like ZZTop. Happened at my station. One guy had a shaved head and a beard halfway down his chest trimmed into a V. A few other guys have gnarly thick beards that look awful.

Make him wear a Ground uniform.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Make him wear a Ground uniform.
Ground has new uniforms, comfy breathable golf shirts... how's your faded and tattered cotton hell going?
I'd get more angry at you but I am one of those that keep your soon to be part time afloat.
I'd like to recruit you.

Free shirts!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ground has new uniforms, comfy breathable golf shirts... how's your faded and tattered cotton hell going?
I'd get more angry at you but I am one of those that keep your soon to be part time afloat.
I'd like to recruit you.

Free shirts!
Yep, I'm sure your future with Ground will be just dandy. Starvation wages and all.

You can keep the shirts.

McFeely

Huge Member
I have a hard time understanding what the problem is. Get a job elsewhere if you don't like the standards. Plenty of others will conform.

The OP isn't complaining about the standards, just wants to know what the actual policy is. FX does this on occasion...make a new/stricter rule but then nobody has been notified other than word of mouth what the new policy IS exactly.

Personally, I enjoy the fact that I can grow a beard at FX. I think it's weaksauce that UPS isn't allowed anything beyond a creeper mustache.