Beck Law

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then attend a meeting, air your view. That is why you pay dues. Nothing gets accomplished by bitching to other drivers before your start time.

If it did, many of our spouses would magically be different when we got home at night.

Our local is a multi-employer which holds meetings on a rotating basis in 3 towns roughly 90 miles from one another. I attend the meetings held locally and was going to go to the one today, which was to be held in the same town in which my son goes to college, but due to the pending storm I decided to stay home and get my errands run today as I would be unable to do them tomorrow. I have expressed my opinion on this matter to our BA----his response was he wanted to make sure each and every member was kept up to date on the issues, which does make sense. I still think it is a waste of time, resources and money.

C

chuchu

Forever will I be a liberal. Not sure, exactly, what that means anymore, except that I'm not represented in Congress.

Even liberal, though, doesn't accurately describe me. I have many libertarian views too.

At the end of the day, I choose to vote for my livelihood. This country has a completely broken government. When politicians only care about re-election, and the only way to make that happen is to collect as much money as possible, promises become thin as onion skin. Promises from ANY politician start changing the minute they leave the room.

If Obama would have lived up to his word, Bush JR. and his flunkey Vice President would have faced war crime charges; instead, Obama double downed on horrible policies, to the point where the NSA's stated mission is to monitor EVERYTHING we do or say on the internet and our phones.

And the worst thing? These are the people on our side.

What, am I supposed to vote Republican? Please. Republicans make no secret that union people like us are the clear enemy. Just like Reagan, they would declare a loud victory if they could break our union, drastically cut our wages and benefits. No thanks, partner.

Sorry, I'll vote for the people who have my interests at heart, even if I can't stand them. Like the old bumper sticker said, working people voting for Republicans is like chicken voting for Col. Sanders.
If you believe all the media hype about the war "crimes" committed by the Bush administration do to the absence of WMD in Iraq you may have missed the little reported tidbit when Syria used sarin gas (WMD classified) on it's own people this year.

When our fearless leader was contemplating an air strike on their arming compounds the media disclosed that we couldn't bomb those compounds because the ones we bombed in IRAQ are still emitting deadly gas and we canot get close to those areas almost ten years later.

Iraq wasn't supposed to have WMD. The media conveniently lied and then slipped up. Imagine that.

When we allow truth to become relative tool we're all in trouble.

barnyard

KTM rider
Romney doesn't believe in unions

A Republican legislator in Alabama has introduced a bill that would eliminate OT for hourly employees. I would not be surprised to find out that it is/was an ALEC bill. For those that are not aware, ALEC is a conservative group that writes legislation for conservatives, including RTW, stand your ground and pro business/anti blue collar legislation.

Why would a union member support a party that clearly is interested only in reducing their earning power???? Pure madness.

over9five

Staff member
Sorry, I'll vote for the people who have my interests at heart, even if I can't stand them. Like the old bumper sticker said, working people voting for Republicans is like chicken voting for Col. Sanders.
And I'll continue to vote for my country's best interest before my job's.

I can never understand people who think Democrats like Labor more than Republicans. HERE's the difference:
Republicans are honest and upfront about not liking unions.
Democrats continually pretend to be our friends, and then stab us in the heart at every opportunity.

C

chuchu

You're never going to make everybody happy. Its impossible get every employee to agree with the way their local is run. The thing that kills me is like ive said a hundred times. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Their is always something you can improve. For the life of me I cant figure out why people want to complain about it but do nothing to fix what they are dissatisfied with. You come on here and try and stir the pot. How many union meetings have you attended? How many conversations have you had with your stewards? How many meetings have you set up with your BA? Something tells me you have not exhausted all your means to know as much about your union as you possibly can. You do realize you would not make the money you make if it weren't for your negotiated contract. You do realize you would not have the benefits you have if it werent for the union. Now because your unhappy about something you obviously have no idea about your ready to jump ship. Get yourself informed about your union. Be a solution not the problem.
Several of us drivers went to a meeting at the hall a few years ago and voiced our concerns about sups working.

The BA said "you need to start fling on sups working, including the shuttling/delivering of misloads by supervisors".

So a driver filed on a sup that spent a few hrs running misloads that he picked up off that driver.

We went to the local grievance hearing and the BA told the driver to withdraw the grievance (in front of management) and would not support the driver who did just what the BA said to do. This wasnt the only time we had to argue with the local to win our grievances.

We don't go to union meetings anymore. You've got to believe in someone to follow their advice. We no longer believe, we just want to get our time in and get the heck out.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
And I'll continue to vote for my country's best interest before my job's.
I can never understand people who think Democrats like Labor more than Republicans. HERE's the difference:
Republicans are honest and upfront about not liking unions.
Democrats continually pretend to be our friends, and then stab us in the heart at every opportunity.

Except you have nothing to back that up.

It's a fact that right-wingers, and right-wing courts, are the biggest challenge to labor. It's interesting to hear the debate in recent years about Obama's labor-friendly appointments, gifts to unions, etc. from the right.. and then read your statement.

C

chuchu

Except you have nothing to back that up.

It's a fact that right-wingers, and right-wing courts, are the biggest challenge to labor. It's interesting to hear the debate in recent years about Obama's labor-friendly appointments, gifts to unions, etc. from the right.. and then read your statement.
We're not as concerned about the politicians (although that is another hurdle to deal with) as we are agents and other union reps that stab the members in the back.

That's what rots a union out from the inside.

Ouch

Several of us drivers went to a meeting at the hall a few years ago and voiced our concerns about sups working.

The BA said "you need to start fling on sups working, including the shuttling/delivering of misloads by supervisors".

So a driver filed on a sup that spent a few hrs running misloads that he picked up off that driver.

We went to the local grievance hearing and the BA told the driver to withdraw the grievance (in front of management) and would not support the driver who did just what the BA said to do. This wasnt the only time we had to argue with the local to win our grievances.

We don't go to union meetings anymore. You've got to believe in someone to follow their advice. We no longer believe, we just want to get our time in and get the heck out.
My advice to you then is to vote someone in you can trust and get behind. It is tough sometimes

C

chuchu

My advice to you then is to vote someone in you can trust and get behind. It is tough sometimes
We don't have enough votes to remove him. Not yet.

We are looking at which NLRB office has jurisdiction and we will deal with it that way until then.

Inthegame

We don't have enough votes to remove him. Not yet.

We are looking at which NLRB office has jurisdiction and we will deal with it that way until then.
You're looking for help from the NLRB over a withdrawn grievance from "several years ago"? Good luck.

Stonefish

I would like to share just one example of the way in which my union local wastes money. We have a union bulletin board in our building but rather than mail one copy of any union correspondence to our shop steward to be posted they insist upon mailing a copy to every single union member. We are having a vote on Wednesday on whether or not to divert the last of our split raises in the yet-to-be-ratified contract to our pension fund. The mailing was two pages----the first was a letter explaining the reason for the vote and the second was a sample ballot. Our union local represents 3 centers and has 400-500 UPS members. The mailing probably cost about $1K including postage, copying and the time to assemble. There was a similar mailing in the fall regarding our free flu shots----again, this information could have been posted for all to see.
The reason it is mailed to the entire membership is because the vast majority of the members don't read the bulletin board. The big complaint members had was not getting information so sending it directly to their house and attempting to inform them is not a waste of money.

Stonefish

Our local is a multi-employer which holds meetings on a rotating basis in 3 towns roughly 90 miles from one another. I attend the meetings held locally and was going to go to the one today, which was to be held in the same town in which my son goes to college, but due to the pending storm I decided to stay home and get my errands run today as I would be unable to do them tomorrow. I have expressed my opinion on this matter to our BA----his response was he wanted to make sure each and every member was kept up to date on the issues, which does make sense. I still think it is a waste of time, resources and money.
Again you chose to stay home. Your BA wants to keep members up to date and you aren't happy with that. My guess is you can be satisfied.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The reason it is mailed to the entire membership is because the vast majority of the members don't read the bulletin board. The big complaint members had was not getting information so sending it directly to their house and attempting to inform them is not a waste of money.

We have roughly 125 hourly employees in my center. Each part of the operation has their own steward and has their own PCM prior to starting their shift. It would be really easy for the steward to alert the members on his shift of a new posting on the bulletin board.

Again you chose to stay home. Your BA wants to keep members up to date and you aren't happy with that. My guess is you can be satisfied.

Our BA will be in the center on the 18th to conduct our pension vote. We get along quite well and I will tell him in person how I feel. As it turns out, the storm started much later than expected and I would have easily made it back before it started.

Stonefish

We have roughly 125 hourly employees in my center. Each part of the operation has their own steward and has their own PCM prior to starting their shift. It would be really easy for the steward to alert the members on his shift of a new posting on the bulletin board.

Our BA will be in the center on the 18th to conduct our pension vote. We get along quite well and I will tell him in person how I feel. As it turns out, the storm started much later than expected and I would have easily made it back before it started.
I still feel it is a good idea to send it to all members especially on important issues. It's good to keep people informed that was the complaint from the members with the contract, there was a "brown out". Then the IBT sends several documents and a DVD and it's wasting money. Which do people want?