Being accused of hitting a dog- On Topic

Rack em

Made the Podium
Or you could follow the methods. You attempt to walk the driveway. If there is a dog present then you put note on the box and leave (NI1). Drivers make things so complicated.
As stated in the OP I have delivered to this address before with no problems. Just because a dog is present doesn't mean you automatically stop and walk everything off. This was a different dog than I have previously seen at this address.

Overpaid Union Thug

As stated in the OP I have delivered to this address before with no problems. Just because a dog is present doesn't mean you automatically stop and walk everything off. This was a different dog than I have previously seen at this address.
Don't worry about it man. None of this really matters (the nitpicking at what you did or should have done) if your sups put the burden of proof on the receiver. If they are out to get you, or simply want to make an example out of you, then they will charge you with an accident and maybe give you a warning letter. If that happens that will actually make things easier for you. Because from that moment on you should refuse to deliver to that house and, like another poster said, they will get the message after three attempts are made and they don't have their stuff.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Prove you broke the dogs leg? A package car would do a lot more harm than hurting a leg.

Nj has a zero libility law on the books for dogs. The owners are 100% responsible to control the dog at all times.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If an invisible fence dog collar is used, then they are in control. If they can chase a squirrel through two yards, then animal control can write a ticket.

If this was my route, that house would be flagged as will call. By sending in a customer concern, they've already identified themselves as suspect.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I wouldn't worry about. Ask these people if they've ever heard of leash laws also.

This happened out in the country so I don't know if the leash law applies? But you know ups, they will want it swept under the rug even if that means writing them a check. And if it costs ups money then they want someone disciplined for it.

I don't think dogs are allowed to run loose anywhere because they can hurt and bite people. UPS should make them come and pick up all their stuff at the center from now on if they want to pursue this.

Leash laws do not apply on private property.

Not true in the county I live in. I got bit last year am private property and the owners were charged with not having the dog properly secured. Here dogs either have to be tied up, in a kennel, or inside. That being said, no one does it.

In most cases (but laws can vary by state or local ordinances) on private property, if a dog is contained income sort of fenced in area he does not need to be leashed. But if it is open property then the animal in question should be properly restrained by leash or chain.

rss13

In most cases (but laws can vary by state or local ordinances) on private property, if a dog is contained income sort of fenced in area he does not need to be leashed. But if it is open property then the animal in question should be properly restrained by leash or chain.
Fenced in counts too. Forgot to include that.

Indecisi0n

I had to brake multiple times because a dog was running at my tires! I never turned the car off, I only put it in park and get out to try to get the dogs away. Yes I turned around on some dead grass but that isn't a big deal. And yes I sped away so the dogs wouldn't catch up and start the process all over.
I'm not saying your wrong I'm just describing how it looks on paper.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Well I went into the office after the pcm today with Stewart and my supervisor to go over everything and re tell my story. I was really hoping to see the telematics to help show exactly what happened but 3 cars telematics didn't work yesterday and mine was one of them. This is one time I actually wish I had telematics on my car!!! But both Stewart and my supervisor agreed that this is a bull:censored2: complaint.

So my supervisor drove out to their house around 11am today because they said they were talking the dog to the vet at 9am. The vet confirmed one of it's legs was broken (I forgot to ask if it was a front or back leg, but the dog was facing me the whole time when I could see it so it's impossible for me to have hit a back leg) and my supervisor who happens to be an ex police officer went through the investigation process. He found multiple holes in their story...

The guy said he was in the shower at the time and heard the dog yelp, but he or no one else heard the loud diesel engine or my horn...

He and the woman there both confirmed this happened at 11:30am but I wasn't there until 3:45pm and they tracked when I scanned and stop completed to confirm the time. At 11:30 I was at least 20 miles away from their house. And the neighbor who I talked to can confirm the time I was actually there...

And also how the guy said he came out to get the packages and got the info notice off the door, when I actually stuck it to their mailbox...

So a different supervisor was sent out there around 4:00 today to lay out all the facts and try to get them to sign a form stating I was not the one who broke their dogs leg. I really hope I go in tomorrow morning and hear they signed it, but I fear they won't because my center manager called them earlier to let them know that their address is now a permanent will call. So they are probably not happy about that :/

Box Ox

He and the woman there both confirmed this happened at 11:30am but I wasn't there until 3:45pm and they tracked when I scanned and stop completed to confirm the time. At 11:30 I was at least 20 miles away from their house. And the neighbor who I talked to can confirm the time I was actually there...

Those jokers clearly weren't home. They got home, realized their package had bounced, got angry and imagined your truck as the Christmas money wagon. And now they're in over their heads and they know it.

Free roaming country dogs get hurt all the time. Caught going full speed by a hole, root, branches, bites, thorn bushes, whatever.

The #1 advantage I'd think you have is that your story will never change. And theirs has to unless they've got video of you running over sweet little Fluffy's leg.

Edit:" a h-o-l-e" was automatically censored? LOL

WorknLateHuh

I think you're in the clear. It just pisses me off because, "We don't know for sure when UPS was here delivering, but chances are it's their fault. Honey! call UPS and tell them UPS hit our dog!"

People fly off the handle without getting their facts straight. They probably called FedEx, the mailman, and the oil company with the same story.

Box Ox

I think you're in the clear. It just pisses me off because, "We don't know for sure when UPS was here delivering, but chances are it's their fault. Honey! call UPS and tell them UPS hit our dog!"

People fly off the handle without getting their facts straight. They probably called FedEx, the mailman, and the oil company with the same story.

100%. Sups investigated a property damage complaint I was accused of once and probably laughed about it back at the office. Never heard about it again.

Sometimes these claims are as clear as a square peg not fitting into a round hole. Just have to shake your head.

Rack em

Made the Podium
It just makes me mad to know I do my job, and do it right but then stuff like this happens and there is literally nothing I can do about it. IF ups ends up paying then my center manager said it will come back to me and I will be charged with an accident and worst case scenario I could be terminated for not reporting an accident. I NEVER HIT THE DOG SO HOW CAN UPS FIRE ME FOR SOMETHING I DIDN'T DO!?!? He said I would get my job back no problem, but still the fact that it could happen when I did nothing wrong is retarded. I wish the higher up's would defend us drivers more! My supervisor and center manager are on my side and are being really great with the situation, but I know they have to work as directed just like we do. So if the district manager or whoever says to charge me with anything then they have to do it.

If I do get charged with an accident or worse, terminated, then I will be suing the :censored2: out of the people (not ups) because they are making up bull:censored2: stories and it effects my career!

clean hairy

Rare instance where management did not sit on their butt and try to terminate you on the spot.
Actually backing up an employee, strange concept.....

Rack em

Made the Podium
Rare instance where management did not sit on their butt and try to terminate you on the spot.
Actually backing up an employee, strange concept.....
we are a relatively small center so we all interact and get along pretty well. My center manager is a really good guy imo

clean hairy

It just makes me mad to know I do my job, and do it right but then stuff like this happens and there is literally nothing I can do about it. IF ups ends up paying then my center manager said it will come back to me and I will be charged with an accident and worst case scenario I could be terminated for not reporting an accident. I NEVER HIT THE DOG SO HOW CAN UPS FIRE ME FOR SOMETHING I DIDN'T DO!?!? He said I would get my job back no problem, but still the fact that it could happen when I did nothing wrong is retarded. I wish the higher up's would defend us drivers more! My supervisor and center manager are on my side and are being really great with the situation, but I know they have to work as directed just like we do. So if the district manager or whoever says to charge me with anything then they have to do it.

If I do get charged with an accident or worse, terminated, then I will be suing the :censored2: out of the people (not ups) because they are making up bull:censored2: stories and it effects my career!
I doubt they would be silly enough to terminate.
After all, you were 20 miles away at the time this happened.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Prove you broke the dogs leg? A package car would do a lot more harm than hurting a leg.

This was my first thought. A broken leg alone might make sense if it were hit by a bicycle.

A few years back i was delivering to this lady all the time in a cul-de-sac and this ladies dog would run out into the street to chase the truck. The dog had an electric fence collar on but would still end up in the street. One day I told the lady that the dog was in the street and she said that was impossible since they have an electric fence. i said, "you might want to check the batteries or turn it up because Sarah has been out in the street the last 3 days."
Sure enough, the next day I go to make the turn at the cul-de-sac and as I pull up to their house Sarah runs out into the street and my rear wheels went right over her back legs, broke both of them. Just the legs. She ran back into the house yelping dragging both legs behind her. Called it in right away. Then I had to call the lady because she wasn't home and just the son was there and he saw it all happen. I waited until she got home (about 5 mins) since her son was a wreck.
In the end, my OCS took care of everything and kept following up with the lady to make sure the dog was ok. In the end she healed......and she never ran out into the street again. And my job was never threatened over any of it.