Being accused of hitting a dog- On Topic

iowa boy

If you are gonna carry treats for the dogs, never give them a treat while you or the dog are at the truck. This is why they run to the truck. Always walk them to the house, or at least some distance from the truck, before you give them a treat.

Rack em

Made the Podium
So far so good, it sounds like it will go on my record as an unavoidable. But it's not all said and done yet so I'm just waiting until it's closed for good until I feel relieved.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Imho unless you have realistic people in management, they will charge you. Hope they dont.
I got charged, lost what would have been Circle of Honor, in feb 2017, and i positively know i didnt hit the dog.
It depends where, and who you work for, and if mgmt likes you or they dont.
I wish you the best, fight like hell

You should still get that Circle of Honor, it will just be pushed back to 2018. Accident free recognition isn't consecutive years, but total safe years. At least that's what I've noticed with a few of our guys who for sure weren't accident free 25 consecutive years.

Rack em

Made the Podium
You should still get that Circle of Honor, it will just be pushed back to 2018. Accident free recognition isn't consecutive years, but total safe years. At least that's what I've noticed with a few of our guys who for sure weren't accident free 25 consecutive years.
I have always thought it was consecutive years, but maybe it changes by location like a lot of other things lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Will there be an asterisk on the patch?

I have always thought it was consecutive years, but maybe it changes by location like a lot of other things lol

Safe driving years are consecutive from 1-5 and then go by milestone years in multiples of 5.

If you have 19 years of safe driving and have an accident you go back to 15.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is actual years, not consecutive. Im not hanging around for it.
You go back to one year, until you get 5, after that you lose a year.

Re-Raise

I deliver a rural area. I also live in the area. Probably 90% of the rural homes have dogs running loose. We have had dogs run over when I was a kid because they never learned to stay away from vehicles. We would never have considered it anyone's fault other than the stupid dog.

It should NEVER be the fault of any driver that accidently runs over an animal running loose around a vehicle.

Or keep the dog in a pen!

1Simplemann

So far so good, it sounds like it will go on my record as an unavoidable. But it's not all said and done yet so I'm just waiting until it's closed for good until I feel relieved.
CS, if you didn't hit the dog it's not an accident. unavoidable or avoidable. Nothing should go on on your record. the burden of proof is on the company and the customer. If your positive you didn't hit it then wouldn't stand for being on my record, But you better be positive. Also if your going to NI1 packages in the country because they have dogs that run up to you then your not going to be able to cover a rural route. It's a daily occurance that happens many times a day to me and many other rural drivers. Dog hits happen but they can be avoided by slowing down and simply paying extra attention.

Re-Raise

I suppose if I thought it was fun to run back and forth across the train tracks, it would be the train's engineer's fault if I was hit?

I would.

We get in trouble for hitting things in driveways. We do not get in trouble for times. Its a no brainer. If I am directed to drive into a driveway so be it then its no longer my problem.
Not true, if you are directed to drive into a driveway, it is still your problem.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you are gonna carry treats for the dogs, never give them a treat while you or the dog are at the truck. This is why they run to the truck. Always walk them to the house, or at least some distance from the truck, before you give them a treat.
My method for dealing with dogs that run circles around the truck and dart in and out of my blind spots is to let them jump up into the cab for a biscuit and then shut the door. I will actually drive the rest of the way to the house with the dog in the cab. It is physically impossible to run over a dog that is in the cab. 29 years, zero dog bites, zero dogs run over. Some might disagree with my methods but they cant dispute my results.

soberups

Oh so what your saying is because their numbers are screwed up you'd rather risk not only your safety but also your job by not following methods. Makes perfect sense.
I would rather not risk getting shot by a nervous homeowner who sees some guy in dark clothes walking up his 1/4 mile long driveway out in the country on a dark winter night.

soberups

It just makes me mad to know I do my job, and do it right but then stuff like this happens and there is literally nothing I can do about it. IF ups ends up paying then my center manager said it will come back to me and I will be charged with an accident and worst case scenario I could be terminated for not reporting an accident. I NEVER HIT THE DOG SO HOW CAN UPS FIRE ME FOR SOMETHING I DIDN'T DO!?!? He said I would get my job back no problem, but still the fact that it could happen when I did nothing wrong is retarded. I wish the higher up's would defend us drivers more! My supervisor and center manager are on my side and are being really great with the situation, but I know they have to work as directed just like we do. So if the district manager or whoever says to charge me with anything then they have to do it.

If I do get charged with an accident or worse, terminated, then I will be suing the :censored2: out of the people (not ups) because they are making up bull:censored2: stories and it effects my career!
In order to be charged with failure to report an accident, the company has to prove that you KNEW about the accident and did not report it. Under the circumstances described, there is zero chance of that happening.

KOG72

I’m full of it
In the country If I had a delivery for a house with dogs that looked or acted like they would bite me I would get close to the house blow horn and put pkgs in a D R bag.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Just hearing the stories I've heard from people about how shady this company is with charging people with accidents, I am content with an unavoidable even though I did NOT hit the stupid dog. My center manager told me a story about a driver who was charged with an accident that ups knows 100% he didn't do, but he was still charged because ups wrote a check to protect their image!

CS, if you didn't hit the dog it's not an accident. unavoidable or avoidable. Nothing should go on on your record. the burden of proof is on the company and the customer. If your positive you didn't hit it then wouldn't stand for being on my record, But you better be positive. Also if your going to NI1 packages in the country because they have dogs that run up to you then your not going to be able to cover a rural route. It's a daily occurance that happens many times a day to me and many other rural drivers. Dog hits happen but they can be avoided by slowing down and simply paying extra attention.

I have done mostly rural routes all this year and have never before NI1'd stops in the country before because of dogs. But this stop, the dogs are very bad and I just learned yesterday that the people had just moved in their 3 weeks ago which is why I had never seen these dogs before. You can talk to the regular driver and he will tell you how bad they are. That is why they are a permanent will call now. I decided I couldn't safely turn around at their house or risk getting bit by the dog(s) so I reversed enough to where they stopped chasing the truck and got turned around and got out of the situation.

As for slowing down and paying extra attention... I stated what happened in the original post. I was going 5mph max but probably slower than that because the one dog was running at the tires but I also had to keep an eye on the other dog. At anytime I couldn't see one of the dogs I stopped completely, got out of my seat to shoo the dog away, then tried to go forward again. I did everything I could and there is nothing I could have done differently in this situation! Keep in mind you have had your route for a while so you have dealt with the dogs on your route multiple times and know how they act when they see you. I am a cover driver and don't know how the dogs at each stop are going to act. If there is a stop where dogs act like this I am not going to put my career at risk. If the dogs are going to run at the tires then I'm NI1'ing the packages unless I can safely leave them elsewhere.

Rack em

Made the Podium
My method for dealing with dogs that run circles around the truck and dart in and out of my blind spots is to let them jump up into the cab for a biscuit and then shut the door. I will actually drive the rest of the way to the house with the dog in the cab. It is physically impossible to run over a dog that is in the cab. 29 years, zero dog bites, zero dogs run over. Some might disagree with my methods but they cant dispute my results.
I would try this but 1. Unapproved passengers means termination. So if someone saw it happen ad didn't like it then they could call in a concern and you get fired. 2. How do I know if the dog is going to bite me or not?