Ben Carson

newfie

... and Reagan should have served time for violating the law in the Iran-Contra scandal. Nixon should also have from Watergate. Guess politicians and most government employees get more leeway than us common folks.

You only found a few republican presidents to highlight abuses of power? Keep digging .

Sportello

politics have gotten fun. Put a conservative black man out there and watch the liberals jump all over each other trying to destroy him.
That's an odd way to put it.

I don't know one Liberal who ever took Dr Carson as a serious candidate to begin with. I don't know anyone who is 'trying to destroy him'. Dr Carson is revealing himself as time goes on.

It's that fact/truth thing.

newfie

Finally, we agree on something. Ben Carson is a train wreck.

he may end up being so once he has gone through the proper vetting. The problem with todays elections is and are that a conservative candidate not only has to defeat his/her liberal opponent but also the media. The support of trump and Carson is as much a total rejection of PC politics as it is support of those two.

bbsam

Staff member
he may end up being so once he has gone through the proper vetting. The problem with todays elections is and are that a conservative candidate not only has to defeat his/her liberal opponent but also the media. The support of trump and Carson is as much a total rejection of PC politics as it is support of those two.
Seems to me that first a conservative candidate has to prove himself nearly insane before the conservative base will vote him/her the nomination.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Seems to me that first a conservative candidate has to prove himself nearly insane before the conservative base will vote him/her the nomination.
I agree, it's a strange conclusion Republican leadership came to after McCain and Romney. For whatever reason, Republicans have latched onto the idea that they lost the last two elections because they picked safe or middle ground candidates.

Sportello

Should they use Saunders[sic] as a model when they do so.

Funny thing, they say that most people who are attracted to Sanders cite his truthfulness. I wouldn't consider anything Bernie has said to be flat out nuts. I have found more than one statement by more than one Republican candidate to be totally nuts, though.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Jeb, Rubio, and even Christie are all fairly competent conservatives. They can't get 20% of the conservative base to vote for them even if you add all their votes up.
After baby Bush I never thought I'd be looking at another Bush as the best case scenario for the republican ticket, but these other nuts make Jeb! look pretty good.

wkmac

Funny thing, they say that most people who are attracted to Sanders cite his truthfulness. I wouldn't consider anything Bernie has said to be flat out nuts. I have found more than one statement by more than one Republican candidate to be totally nuts, though.

Well he did throw Hillary a lifeline in the debate instead of going for the knockout. He could have easily knocked her sorry arse out of the ring but didn't. Some of the more radical left are not happy that he did that and from their POV I can understand. See one of my favorite liberals in Robert Scheer at Truthdig. But because Sanders agreed early on to play party ball, I see Sanders now (not that I didn't before) more of a gatekeeper than a real threat to actually win. If Kucinich were in Sanders place for example, I might feel different about any outcome but now I see no reason to think nothing more than the fix is in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jeb, Rubio, and even Christie are all fairly competent conservatives. They can't get 20% of the conservative base to vote for them even if you add all their votes up.
I was listening to Rubio give a speech at a townhall meeting in NH on CSPAN radio the other day and thought that he could really give Clinton a run for her money. Regardless of whether or not you agree with him he's a charismatic speaker and comes across really well. He talked at length and covered a whole range of issues, the economy, foreign policy, education, immigration, defense spending, etc., then he opened the floor for questions.
First question: "How much of a role does your faith play in your decision making?"
I turned the radio off. He had started to give some rote answer about how much he relies on prayer ersum:censored2: but really who cares. The guy must be thinking to himself "What the hell do I have to do to get through to these morons?".
He's ready to talk about a whole range of policy issues and all this idiot wants to know is if he's a good christian boy.

wkmac

Barry Goldwater's warning once again coming into play.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

newfie

I agree, it's a strange conclusion Republican leadership came to after McCain and Romney. For whatever reason, Republicans have latched onto the idea that they lost the last two elections because they picked safe or middle ground candidates.

Its always good to hear the young struggle to develop an understanding of the political system.

Its still early. Not sure the presidential race has ever been about competence.