Bin Laden

over9five

Staff member
My thoughts:

1. I 100% support President Obamas decision to do the mission.

2. I have major problems with the statement, "We brought Osama to justice". What we did was to send 40 heavily armed men to execute one old man in his pajamas in front of his wife and kids. There was no justice here, only an execution. I'm alright with that, the man deserved to die, just call it what it was.

3. Am I weird that I feel no jubilation over his death? I do not. I can't even say I'm happy about his death, I am not. I agree that he deserved to die, but I'm not celebrating it. When I see Americans dancing in the street, I see this as the downfall of the civilized world.

4. Publicize the death pictures? I would not view them, but I feel they should be publicized in the name of transparency. However, once again, I support President Obamas decision not to publicize them 100%.

MHO

moreluck

golden ticket member
Show the picture ? Don't show the picture?

I'm with Ann C. on this one. We paid for the hit, let us see the result.

The air waves were full of pictures of the other men killed in the attack and they were gross pictures too. Trust me, Americans can handle it.

I also like Ann's point about Obama saying we don't have to 'spike the ball', it's just not us. Then why the victory lap tomorrow. I guess that's why God gives us 2 sides to our mouth!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
burn-in-hell-osama-tpc-i2889.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My thoughts:

2. I have major problems with the statement, "We brought Osama to justice". What we did was to send 40 heavily armed men to execute one old man in his pajamas in front of his wife and kids. There was no justice here, only an execution. I'm alright with that, the man deserved to die, just call it what it was.

3. Am I weird that I feel no jubilation over his death? I do not. I can't even say I'm happy about his death, I am not. I agree that he deserved to die, but I'm not celebrating it. When I see Americans dancing in the street, I see this as the downfall of the civilized world.

4. Publicize the death pictures? I would not view them, but I feel they should be publicized in the name of transparency. However, once again, I support President Obamas decision not to publicize them 100%.

MHO

This article talks about the ambivalence a lot of us felt about seeing all the celebration and cheering: click

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My thoughts:

Isn't that part of his job ?

2. I have major problems with the statement, "We brought Osama to justice". What we did was to send 40 heavily armed men to execute one old man in his pajamas in front of his wife and kids. There was no justice here, only an execution. I'm alright with that, the man deserved to die, just call it what it was. I concur.

3. Am I weird that I feel no jubilation over his death? I do not. I can't even say I'm happy about his death, I am not. I agree that he deserved to die, but I'm not celebrating it. When I see Americans dancing in the street, I see this as the downfall of the civilized world. Again, I concur.

This is starting to sound like the fuss over his birth record; yes I will, no I won't, maybe but just not today. He keeps this up and I'll be calling him Mr. Wishy-washy.

MHO

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Personally I want to see the photo's and I would use it to make bumper stickers / t-shirts for family and friends. lol.

I am glad he's dead but just wish it would have been a few years ago and that I would have been the guy to do it.

Show us the dead terrorist!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Will somebody please remind bhos that he works for the American People and not for the muslim community.
He's just a hired hand, so release the damn pictures.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I believe releasing the photo is a mistake. While I do not need any further proof that he is dead, mainly because I have a family member in the navy and he sent me a message on facebook after the mission was completed and thats all i need.

The reason the photo should not be released is because it will used in the wrong ways. Immediately, there will be profiteering from the photo. Tshirts will be sold on street corners and swap meets with this image on it and that kind of imagery will only cause this country embarrassment. People will use this photo improperly on the internet, and some will photo shop it and exploit it on internet sites.

There should be no profiteering on the image and we should be respectful giving the circumstances that we technically murdered him without a trial or EVER charging him with a crime. He was NEVER charge with any crimes during the clinton administration or BUSH administrations. If you check the FBI sites, Usama was only wanted for questioning and not charged with any crimes for 911.

We should accept that he is dead, celebrate the success of our country, continue the fight on extremist, but keep the celebratory rhetoric to a minimum.. If we allow the image to be exploited, it will only be a matter of time before some high ranking person of our country is captured, exploited, killed gruesomely and placed on the world screen for all to see with people dancing in the street.

Remember, what ever goes around, comes around.

Peace.

I agree mostly, except the fact that we should accept he is dead. While I do, I wish they would have waited til the story was complete before releasing it. It brings up questions about how it was done, and actually who dunnit. Was it in fact his own body guards to keep him from being taken alive? That isnt too far out of the realm of possibility. I think the decision to not release photos would have been at best made before the story was released. Im thinking in hindsight of course, but them releasing it before all the facts were "agreed upon" leaves people to wonder, wth and how did it really go down. First he was unarmed, then he was reaching for a weapon, then he was using his wife as a shield , then she was protecting him.

Either way, Im not dancing in the street, but I would attend a party if I was in the area. I dont want to see pics of anyone shot in the head, or dead for that matter.
But he certainly was the poster boy for terrorism in my lifetime, and if it puts some souls to rest and gives them closure, its a good deal.
And I support Obamas decision to let the boys do their job, and take him out.

bigbrownhen

I will not celebrate anyone's death, to me that is just wrong. I was greatly offended at the photos of people dancing in the streets and burning American flags on 9/11 in the mid east. I will not stoop to that level of hatred. JMO.

As for the photos, I don't want to see bumper stickers or T-shirts with a photo of his dead body. There are children who would see this. Keep the photos out of public view, but I could see how the DNA results and photos could be viewed by a joint international committee. It doesn't really matter, the man is dead, good enough.

I will not celebrate anyone's death, to me that is just wrong. I was greatly offended at the photos of people dancing in the streets and burning American flags on 9/11 in the mid east. I will not stoop to that level of hatred. JMO.

As for the photos, I don't want to see bumper stickers or T-shirts with a photo of his dead body. There are children who would see this. Keep the photos out of public view, but I could see how the DNA results and photos could be viewed by a joint international committee. It doesn't really matter, the man is dead, good enough.
The problem is, there are already photoshopped photos popping up on the internet, the T-shirts and bumper stickers are just around the corner. Whether the gov releases photos or not is irrelevant to me, I just have to decide if I believe he is dead or not. I choose to believe. The gov can photoshop as good as anyone making a fake look real, so we all just have to decide.
As far as releasing the photos making the terrorists mad.....how could we tell the difference?

wkmac

Interesting opin I ran across:

WASHINGTON, May 5, 2004 – In a dramatic late-night appearance in the White House press room, President George W. Bush announced that Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction had been found in a secret stronghold near the Syrian border.
“We knew he had them, we knew we would find them. It was just a matter of time,” said an exultant Mr. Bush, who has been subjected to constant criticism for more than a year over the failure to find the WMD that sparked the invasion of Iraq in April 2003.

Bush said a covert military intelligence team discovered the arsenal in an underground fortress 10 miles west of the city of Anah. The stockpile included artillery shells and long-range missiles loaded with anthrax, nerve gas, VX, sarin and other deadly toxins. The team also found extensive laboratories where fatal poisons were being developed which could be used in smaller-scale terrorist attacks, such as in subways, airports, even city water supplies.
“It was like the gates of hell had been opened,” Bush said. “These weapons and toxins could have destroyed hundreds of thousands of innocent lives, all around the world. Today has been a triumph of good over pure evil, and another ringing testament to America’s greatness.”
Bush said the weapons and the laboratories have been completely destroyed, to avoid any of the material falling into the wrong hands.
“These instruments of evil have been obliterated and scattered to the four winds,” the president said. “No trace of them remains. Let this be a lesson to all those who would raise their hands against the peace and security of humankind: they will be wiped from the face of the earth.”
Administration officials said that pictures of the operation will probably be released in the coming days, after being carefully vetted to avoid disclosure of any vital security information, including the identities of the secret military intelligence team............
What If Bush Did It?

wkmac

The killing of Osama bin Laden is one of those events which, especially in the immediate aftermath, is not susceptible to reasoned discussion. It's already a Litmus Test event: all Decent People -- by definition -- express unadulterated ecstacy at his death, and all Good Americans chant "USA! USA!" in a celebration of this proof of our national greatness and Goodness (and that of our President). Nothing that deviates from that emotional script will be heard, other than by those on the lookout for heretics to hold up and punish. Prematurely interrupting a national emotional consensus with unwanted rational truths accomplishes nothing but harming the heretic (ask Bill Maher about how that works).
Glenn Greenwald's "Killing of bin Laden, What are the Consequences?"

I thought Glenn also made an excellent "update" point to his op-ed.
UPDATE: Recall what happened in 2003 when Howard Dean interrupted the national celebratory ritual triggered by Saddam Hussein's capture when he suggested that that event would likely not make us safer. He was demonized by political leaders in both parties, with Joe Lieberman finally equating him with Saddam by accusing Dean of being in a "spider hole of denial." That will be the same demonizing reaction targeted at anyone who deviates from today's ritualistic script.
Let history show that Howard Dean was correct in his analysis

moreluck

golden ticket member
Credit?

"House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., a leading waterboarding-is-torture and Bush-is-evil-and-incompetent critic, raised no reservations and was oblivious to the contradiction: "The death of Osama bin Laden marks the most significant development in our fight against al-Qaida. I salute President Obama, his national security team, Director Panetta, our men and women in the intelligence community and military, and other nations who supported this effort for their leadership in achieving this major accomplishment. ... (T)he death of Osama bin Laden is historic." Impressive." Read more....

http://townhall.com/columnists/larr..._laden_dead,_but_wheres_the_credit/page/full/

klein

Für Meno :)
Moreluck, can you please stop disrespecting all the thousands of people that died in the Twin Towers, London Subways, Madrid bombings, because of this now dead Terrorist ?

Can't you just be happy, like most all other people , not only in the USA, but worldwide, that the "job" was done and leave it at that ?

Mocking your president with cartoons over it, isn't appropiate, I find.

Find another topic to slam him on, maybe the GM thread, but they added another 250 jobs today and annouced a new facility in Kentucky to build new Corvettes.
So, slam them, for creating more "government" jobs !

moreluck

golden ticket member
C'mon, Bin Ladin with a goat is "American" funny....maybe it's not Canadian funny........but then I think hockey is ridiculous......to each his own!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Moreluck, can you please stop disrespecting all the thousands of people that died in the Twin Towers, London Subways, Madrid bombings, because of this now dead Terrorist ?

Can't you just be happy, like most all other people , not only in the USA, but worldwide, that the "job" was done and leave it at that ?

Mocking your president with cartoons over it, isn't appropiate, I find.

Find another topic to slam him on, maybe the GM thread, but they added another 250 jobs today and annouced a new facility in Kentucky to build new Corvettes.
So, slam them, for creating more "government" jobs !
It's just so amazing how all these jobs you say are being created, yet the jobless numbers keep growing & growing.