Bragging About Your Wages On Social Media Is Just Dumb!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Because that is the bar the union set for PT employees (which are the most numerous at the company) in the last contract. Best contract ever...And go ahead talk about all the benefits that a healthy 18 year old gets from UPS that they don't already from their parents insurance coverage. Or the pension they don't qualify (unless they are on the West Rider).

Is it smart to brag about wages...it all depends upon whom the audience was...but I do agree they foolhearted attempt to enrage the public seems like a management technique at swaying public opinion. There will be more. Along with crying poverty. The next contract is going to be an ugly negotiation...if not we are not getting our money's worth on our dues.

Expect more Tome publicity stunts that show how management/even the dumbest people in the world can do the job so be happy with what you got.
ya maybe suckasses.....

wouldnt be surprised what this company will stoop down to.....

Trucker Clock

Well, I do hold two BA’s (education and social studies). Perhaps that helps my ability to pick up new skills by watching instructional videos. As far as automotive mechanics, I definitely can work on my truck and my wife’s car without help. Electrical work, probably not. Simple things like installing a ceiling fan, outlets, etc. I can do.

Plumbing, I had Home Depot deliver a dishwasher then I figured everything out on my own. Not gonna lie, it wasn’t easy, especially since we never had a dishwasher, so there was nothing to work with. I couldn’t do it again without watching YouTube. However, if I were to do that kind of work continuously then I would be able to.

A lot of old time tradesman (plumbers, electricians, carpenters) picked up their skills by learning from their father, relative or friend. I’m not saying it’s easy but it has been accomplished for generations.

Agreed. It can be learned. But, not everybody can learn it. It takes some degree of learning ability above and beyond the basics

Delivering cardboard does not.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Agreed. It can be learned. But, not everybody can learn it. It takes some degree of learning ability above and beyond the basics

Why not... it pays your salary.

Remember there are products inside that delivered cardboard...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Teachers make like $35k lol. They put in a ton of work too.
Screenshot_20220830-215252_Chrome.jpg

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member

Why you trashing drivers so hard? PC driving is not just taking cardboard from point a to point b. It’s a pretty damn stressful job at times.

I just finished a coding boot camp while being full time and it was not easy. But in the end, for me, it was completely boring and I could never do that as a career.

While you’re trying to define what a skilled job is, PC driving is a pretty demanding and tough gig. I earn every penny of that 42/hr job.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Why you trashing drivers so hard? PC driving is not just taking cardboard from point a to point b. It’s a pretty damn stressful job at times.

I just finished a coding boot camp while being full time and it was not easy. But in the end, for me, it was completely boring and I could never do that as a career.

While you’re trying to define what a skilled job is, PC driving is a pretty demanding and tough gig. I earn every penny of that 42/hr job.
The way he is talking he must drive in wide open desert with no trees or people. I invite him to come play the 6 inches of clearance on both sides game with me. More people fail at driving than succeed here.

Trucker Clock

Not trashing drivers. It’s physical and sometimes stressful. Long hours and harassment.

I’m also not trashing skilled tradesman. Someone just compared the two and I pointed out that is not a good comparison.

Trucker Clock

The way he is talking he must drive in wide open desert with no trees or people. I invite him to come play the 6 inches of clearance on both sides game with me. More people fail at driving than succeed here.

They fail because they can’t handle it, crash, or just don’t give a crappy and quit.

Delivered everything from heavy industrial, both pickup and delivery, to gravy, mostly residential country routes.

Point is, and always had been, a tradesman needs a particular skill set that he needs to learn. A package car driver needs a drivers license, and maybe the ability to lift boxes.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
They fail because they can’t handle it, crash, or just don’t give a crappy and quit.

Delivered everything from heavy industrial, both pickup and delivery, to gravy, mostly residential country routes.

Point is, and always had been, a tradesman needs a particular skill set that he needs to learn. A package car driver needs a drivers license, and maybe the ability to lift boxes.
The most important thing the need is common sense, and that can't be taught. You underestimate your co-workers.

Brownwind

The UPS package driving job is maybe most comparable to a lawn care landscaping job in terms of skill required, exposure to the elements, hours worked, and even pay - (for independent outfits). Some lawncare people are making way more than us.
If you make a mistake on route it’s life or death. If you make a mistake in the yard wait 7-10 days and mow again.

I appreciate your comparison though. The lawn care company owners locally are definitely making bank.

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant

Which boot camp did you do? My spouse is looking to break into tech taking the front end Turing bootcamp, about 7 months long. I’m impressed you managed to work full time AND complete a coding bootcamp cause I hear that in itself is a full time endeavor